Author Topic: Lemmix Level Reviews  (Read 45155 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Reviews
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
The lack of activity in this thread concerns me. If we're going to make a fan game, this side of the community needs to be strong. It's all very well to build a bunch of new levels, but without feedback on our designs, we're going to miss opportunities to improve on our designs and make these levels the best they can be. I suggest the following:

- If we are going to continue doing full reviews, we should do so only for levels that we will include, or consider inclusion of, in the new fan game.

- When you play a new level, or set of levels, try to give feedback on it straight away. Use the levelpack topic, PM, email, whatever - but preferably the levelpack topic unless an important part of the  feedback would involve revealing the solution to the level. If the levels have simple solutions (like Dullstar's levels, as well as my new pack), then revealing solutions isn't really a problem.

- Don't rely on the review thread to provide feedback for your levels. If you want people to comment on your levels, then give some comments yourself (but please don't demand reviews from others). Give and get, people :). The more feedback we can give each other, the better. And don't be afraid to nitpick on minor details - obviously our levels are never going to be perfect, but we should look for any opportunities to improve them. If you edit a level based on feedback from someone else (or any reason for that matter), please tell us.

- I'd prefer that this thread was still used for full reviews, but considering the above, there may not be a use for it any more - especially if we are going to make changes to our levels. This could come back later on, however, as the project nears completion. If we do continue to do full reviews, or come back to them later, then we need more participation, and probably to revise some of the rules as well.

What do you all think of this? These are just my suggestions, feel free to disagree.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »
I know!  Full pack reviews could work, because the rules practically choke this thread.
If you don't mind, Clam Spammer, I can make your older packs usable in the fangame by changing the skill amounts.  Your call.

Anyways, I shall review Clamspam05 now.

Level 1 - A step too far?
Good:  Simple solution.  I could see it stumping total n00bs, but that's about all.
Bad:  What bad?

Level 2 - MORE WEE CREATURES!
Good:  Solution easy to execute but still hidden somewhat well.
Bad:  Needs more decorative terrain around the sides, I think.  The vertical ice pillars could be put to great use in smoothing out the edge of the decorative terrain, too, which is currently a little bit rough.

Level 3 - Works on so many levels...
Good:  Looks good.
Bad:  It has been proven that graphics do not make the game.  This level is a bit too hard. to figure out.  However, if you PM me a replay, I might reconsider this opinion.  The name could use revision, too.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 12:38:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback :)

If you don't mind, Clam Spammer, I can make your older packs usable in the fangame by changing the skill amounts.  Your call.

I plan to rebuild some of my older levels to get rid of the dumb backroutes. As I've said before, though, some aren't really suited to a fangame, IMHO, especially the ones that use glitches.

Level 2 ... Needs more decorative terrain around the sides, I think.  The vertical ice pillars could be put to great use in smoothing out the edge of the decorative terrain, too, which is currently a little bit rough.

Rough terrain isn't bad in itself. I agree though that the edge of the terrain is a bit messy, especially on the right. I should probably sprinkle some large crystals in among the decoration too, to add some variety.

Level 3 ... It has been proven that graphics do not make the game.  This level is a bit too hard. to figure out.  However, if you PM me a replay, I might reconsider this opinion.  The name could use revision, too.

I can understand this from someone who still struggles with the original levels, but I can't honestly see how this is difficult. I could give a couple more builders, though. The main reason I gave the bare minimum of 10 builders to start with was because of a potential backroute where you could go outside the level area and build up to the top. I decided quite late in the design process to add the steel, and that seems to solve the problem (and if we make steel fully indestructible, then that will completely solve it).

And what's wrong with the name? It works on so many levels :P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 06:06:53 AM »
Maybe I'll see if I actually figure out the solution.  Temporarily, I will add more builders to the mix.

After I get somewhere with it, I'll tell you if I figured out the name or not.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:33 AM »
Restarting this thread with some reviews from Yawg01...

1. Bubble Bath
Good: Skill and time restrictions mean some thinking is required to find a solution.
Bad: The partially hidden exit doesn't look great and probably isn't necessary. Maybe that's just a personal preference.

2. To Each His Own
Good: Interesting concept, and some tough decisions to make.
Bad: Needs more decoration, and not centred on the map.

3. Number Eight
Good: Solution is well hidden. (In other words: I have no idea how you're actually supposed to do it).
Bad: Huge backroute with direct drop. Again, everything is off to the left side, and would look better in the middle.

If anyone else wants to help with these reviews, it would be much appreciated ;)

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 09:30:38 AM »
Thanks for the great feedback! I'll definitely take all of it into consideration when I redo my original packs...ill probably start on that after I finish Yawg04  8)
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
Bad: Needs more decoration, and not centred on the map.
<snip>
Again, everything is off to the left side, and would look better in the middle.

It's worth mentioning that Lemmix is of no help in this regard.  Unlike LemEdit, when you create a new level in Lemmix, it puts you on the left end of the level area, rather than the center as LemEdit does (if I recall correctly).  Moreover, (if I recall correctly) neither Lemmix nor LemEdit has a feature to re-position everything in the level to center the level after you're finished creating the level.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
It's actually quite easy to do this in Lemmix. Press "a" to select everything, and then use the arrow keys to move it. And to help with centering, you can turn on the screenstart viewer and set the screenstart to 640.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:54:26 PM »
LemEdit does start you in the center, I remember that.

By the way, I don't remember exactly what pack this was from, but once I played a level with several fake exits and hidden traps to kill your lemmings on the way to the exit.  It was not fun at all.  Don't make levels like this.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 02:02:56 AM »
It's actually quite easy to do this in Lemmix. Press "a" to select everything, and then use the arrow keys to move it.

Wow, you learn something new every day...you just saved me a LOT of work  :thumbsup:
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 05:26:28 AM »
I could use that for my Ice Palace and Icy World levels.  If you haven't seen them, here are the screenshots on the Lemmings Archive.

The Ice Palace

An Icy World, when I look at the screenshot, I remember that it had some awesome backroutes which would break if the level's alignment were to be changed.  Honestly, the backroute I know of in this level is kind of hard to pull off due to timing, so it may actually be great for challenges!  It's in the netting.  Sometime I'm going to improve the decorative terrain, too.

Random pointless note about this level:
Most if not all of the level was created running Lemmix on Ubuntu using WINE.  This is the only level I remember doing that with.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
In the interest of facilitating discussion and development in this thread, I'd be happy to trade reviews with people. Anyone up for some constructive criticism? Personally, I'm happy to get any feedback I can, so the least I can do is offer some in return  :)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
I'm always up for some criticism ;)

Here's some more from Yawg01:

Not The Bars Again!
Good: Quick and fun level, nice decorative touches
Bad: 10 minutes for such a small level? I'm guessing this was intended to take a while to solve, and the quick way is a backroute.

The Brick
Good: Looks straightforward, but isn't due to lack of builders. Great concept.
Bad: Assigning that many floaters is painful. And besides that, they're not really needed to complete the level.

Two Sisters
Good: No obvious solution, and there are a few different ways to go about solving it.
Bad: Could use some decoration. The level looks like it was quickly thrown together.

Up On the Cross
Good: Simple design, nice short level
Bad: Useless spare skills (climber and bomber). Needs decoration.

By the way, release rate 0 doesn't work in replays - when you pause and turn the rate down to zero, then replay the level, it doesn't change the rate back to zero when it should. Try to avoid using this (set it to 1 instead).

Random pointless note about this level:
Most if not all of the level was created running Lemmix on Ubuntu using WINE.  This is the only level I remember doing that with.
That reminds me: I have some random pointless trivia about my levels too. Maybe we could start a random trivia thread and share our fun level designing stories :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »
Nobody review mine until I get my next pack done!

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »
I just completely overhauled and re-uploaded Yawg01, and your feedback was invaluable in the undertaking, Clam Spammer. Muchas Gracias  :). If you have the time check it out, I think you'll find some of the levels aren't as easy as they used to be... :evil: