Author Topic: Lemmix Level Pack Topic  (Read 146791 times)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
Re: Lemmix Level Pack Topic
« Reply #240 on: November 07, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
I beat the levels. I think level 4 is the best one.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline jammer64

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
Thank you ;) My biggest concern was that the levels are a little uninspired and built in vein of original Crazy/Tricky levels. Still, the very beginning and further levels may be a little more fancy. I will try to avoid time consuming levels with i.e. longish bridges as those combined with pixel hunting turn out really tedious and chore to solve ;) I aim at few but demanding things to make repetition process challenge rather than boredom.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 07, 2013, 11:06:27 PM »
Yeah, most people are not a fan of those pixel heavy levels, like that first one. As soon as that first Lemming walks another step, when it comes out, you already lost.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »
Personally - and this is just my opinion - I like levels that are small with a decent puzzle, and mostly built around one or two key points. Take a look at my LP DOS Project pack if you want to see what I mean. Yeah, there's a few large levels in there, but most of them are as described (eg: the main trick in Variety Day is re-using the climber, the main trick in the two No Time To Die levels is working on multiple parts of the path at once - with No Time To Die Part II complicating this by requiring that trick at one point, whereas at another point you need all your workers working on the SAME part, etc).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline jammer64

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »
Couldn't agree more on that ;) I'm right in the middle of my 6th level - may turn out quite good - I hope at least. 7th one is already finished but it's really tiny with quite unusual (but rather not original) solution.

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »
Hey jammer, welcome to the forums! :)

I always love to see new Lemmings levels, and your levels were no exception. I gave them a go a few days ago, and I found them quite pleasant for your first levels. :)
I realized immediately what I have to do in Click Right In Tick, but that's a nice trick that doesn't appear too often in custom levels. Though I'd guess that it won't surprise the player anymore in the fifth level, where you set the same trick again. :b I love how you filled lots of space with the snow, that makes the entire landscape look appealing.
Decoration was quite successful in Bomb Your Own Hole, too. The solution is a bit too repetitive in my opinion, but fortunately there's this detail:
The chains seem to show the spots for bomber assignments.
Crystal Clearance was a nice level with few skills. You might want to use "no overwrite" option for exit, so it doesn't seem to be on terrain, if you don't like it in that way (I don't). The same issue is in the fourth level. Moss And Iron is my clear favourite level of yours, every skill has to be placed wisely, I really enjoyed this level. :)
As the idea in Burn Bridges Behind is okay, it's a little too repetitive like the second level. Also, there's no steel at all in this level, and it deceives the player, as the bombers just work flawlessly on the steel.

Here are my solutions for your levels in case you're interested to see them. I definitely look forward to your upcoming levels!
Also, I solved ONML Crazy2 in exactly the same way as you when I was a kid. ;P

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
Hi Jammer64 (Welcome to the forums as well)

Just noticed your levels up on the mindless website, look good.  :thumbsup:  I like that there are more people creating level packs that's cool.  I tend to like the occasional hero level such as Tim Foxy's levels such as (the swamp) level.  (Fangorn Forest) 

My dad was the first person to notice the solution when I played the onml crazy level 2, I was so excited when I got that game at christmas and stuck it into the Atari straight away.

I agree with what Akseli was saying in relation to levels having more than one solution which makes it more interesting, I can totally understand editing levels to stop backroutes as in some cases the backroute could make the level a lot easier but nevertheless lemmings is all about having different solutions I feel.

I might try your levels one time Jammer.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
I feel it should be that way for *some* levels, but in some of them, part of the fun is only having that one solution and having to work out what it is. My two favorite levels from the original game happen to be one of each - It's Hero Time (which has several solutions) and No Added Colors Or Lemmings (which has only one). What they have in common is that they're both fairly short levels that require clever thinking. You can see that I do the same - in LPDOS, there are a lot of levels with only one solution (such as the final level), as well as plenty with several solutions (including what I consider the hardest level, Psycho 28 - it's actually very open-ended, and yet hard no matter what route you take).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
Namida said it well. I meant in that old comment that some levels are even better when they have multiple solutions. Then there's of course these levels that could, for example, rely on a specific trick, and solving a level avoiding the main point of it is not what the creator of the level aimed.
I think Crysilis from my levels is the most like that every-solution-is-fine type of a level for example, it's in any case hard regardless of what path you try to approach for a working solution.

Offline jammer64

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2013, 09:53:20 AM »
Thanks, guys! Akseli, I'm really pleased that you've found some time to play it and even review each map individually :) I will replay your solutions as soon as I get home. Your finding in second level is flawless, that's exactly what I intended and spent much time on setting up gimmicks. Splat trick is no longer present in fifth level - too much is too much and I also plan to add something to diverse the gameplay :D

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2014, 08:20:39 PM »
I just uploaded my first level pack to the Lemmings database: Nepster01 (which you may also get directly from this post).

Any kind of feedback and in particular any replays are very welcome! Though I did some testing myself, I still suspect there to be an awful lot of backroutes. So don't be too shy to drown me in them ;).

The levels
- are created for Lemmix with Dos Original mechanics.
- do not require any use of glitches to be solved.
- are roughly sorted in difficulty. If you feel some level to be out of place, please tell me.

Hope you enjoy them!

PS: If you wish to play these levels in Lemmini or Lix, please get the levels from the Lemmings database. There it comes with a txt-file containing some comments on solvability.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2014, 10:46:35 PM »
I played the first three today. They all look very nice. I solved 2 and 3. 1 stumped me pretty good.  :D
I liked #3 best.
here are replays, if they are backroute hopefully not too bad.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 31, 2014, 10:33:52 AM »
Thanks for playing, möbius!

Level 2: This is definitely a backroute.
Level 3: Oops, both sides should be symmetric, i.e. the balls under the right entrance should be 8 pixels lower. Your solution is nevertheless pretty close to one of mine and I would gladly accept it, were it not for reasons of symmetry.

I fixed both issues in the attached lvl-files.

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:18 PM »
Hi Nepster!

I have tried your pack and I have solved the levels 1 , 2 ( the second version ) , 4 , 7 and 8 until now!

Very nice pack! All these levels contain some very nice puzzles! My favorites of the pack until now are 2 and 7! Also the best looking level of them is  ( imo )  8 ( Brocken Symmetry ).

I have attached the replays of my solutions.
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
Thanks for your feedback!

Level 1: I did not know that lemmings turn around at the edge of the screen :XD:. So you missed completely the trick I was trying to advertise with this level. I have removed this backroute in the new version below.
Level 2: How long did you need to execute THAT??? I never guessed that anything like that could possibly work and your solution is definitely MUCH harder to pull off than mine. Though it isn't the trick I wanted to be applied, anyone who can think of such a solution deserves to pass the level. So I will not consider your solution a backroute (at least for now  :P).
Level 4: Intended solution.
Level 7: Clever... extremely clever... extremely extremely clever :thumbsup:! That's completely different from anything I tried so far and it's a honor to declare your solution to be one of the official ones.
Level 8: This is exactly the type of backroute I wanted not to exist. I fixed this in the version below.