Author Topic: Orig/OhNo-style styles  (Read 385 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Orig/OhNo-style styles
« on: April 15, 2024, 05:48:04 AM »
Which of the custom style sets are closest in character and quality to the orig and ohno styles? Those have a very specific vibe to them which is difficult to replicate, it would be good to see some other styles which aim for a similar aesthetic.

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
Re: Orig/OhNo-style styles
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 11:19:32 AM »
I'd say the specific vibe of the original styles is mainly due to:

1/ A limited color palette.
2/ Not too detailed pieces that can easily be combined to make larger structures.

The original tilesets were like a toolbox to build anything. The feeling of the Tribes tilesets was quite different, probably because they contain whole recognizable objects as terrain pieces.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 01:30:48 AM »
I'd say the specific vibe of the original styles is mainly due to:

1/ A limited color palette.
2/ Not too detailed pieces that can easily be combined to make larger structures.

The original tilesets were like a toolbox to build anything. The feeling of the Tribes tilesets was quite different, probably because they contain whole recognizable objects as terrain pieces.

Agreed. And paradoxically this is why imo the L2 styles have much less usability, they have charm but they feel less long lasting durability. What makes the L1 styles so memorable and diverse is precisely their vagueness and abstract quality. I remember wondering as a child, for example "is that a well?" in the dirt tileset, or "is this a factory or something else" about the marble tileset.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 08:25:37 PM »
Which of the custom style sets are closest in character and quality to the orig and ohno styles? Those have a very specific vibe to them which is difficult to replicate, it would be good to see some other styles which aim for a similar aesthetic.

It's a funny coincidence that you should mention this, as I've recently started to create a new style pack that aims to mimic the style of the original/ohno aesthetics.

From what I'm able to understand, each of the orginal/ohno worlds have a palette of 8 colours max, as well as several (6?) 'default' colours. These default colours seem to be constant across all worlds and are used for things like lemmings and the HUD.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With this in mind, I've started working on several styles that follow this guideline - no more than 8 unique colours maximum, in addition to the 6 default colours.

Here's a sneak peak:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2024, 10:09:12 AM »
@92Dexter11 Looks GOOD! :thumbsup:
I don't really know why it seems to be a bit more "high res" than the original tilesets. This may be due to the gradient effect on some elements? I'm looking forward to see more of your work. What other style are you working on? :D

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 11:02:36 AM »
From what I'm able to understand, each of the orginal/ohno worlds have a palette of 8 colours max, as well as several (6?) 'default' colours. These default colours seem to be constant across all worlds and are used for things like lemmings and the HUD.

Interesting, I didn't realise that's how these tiles were limited. These limitations seem to have in fact been ideal for shaping their creation.

With this in mind, I've started working on several styles that follow this guideline - no more than 8 unique colours maximum, in addition to the 6 default colours.

Your style looks fantastic, there is a lot of detail and a very clear theme. However, I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be in the same visual style of the orig and ohno tiles; it's much more detailed and almost seems higher resolution, which I imagine was no easy task with the aforementioned colour limitations.

It comes closer than most, though, to be fair. I haven't yet seen a custom tile set that could absolutely be mistaken for an original.

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 01:19:20 PM »
Looks GOOD! :thumbsup:
Your style looks fantastic, there is a lot of detail and a very clear theme.

Thank you so much!

I don't really know why it seems to be a bit more "high res" than the original tilesets. This may be due to the gradient effect on some elements?
However, I wouldn't necessarily consider it to be in the same visual style of the orig and ohno tiles; it's much more detailed and almost seems higher resolution, which I imagine was no easy task with the aforementioned colour limitations.

It looks high-res because this particular tileset is heavily inspired by the 'crystal' world, in the sense that it's mainly all one colour, which allows for much more depth in terms of gradients. The other styles I'm working on won't be as high-res, since I'm using more varied colours in the palette which will mean the gradients won't be as deep. :thumbsup:

What other style are you working on? :D

The other styles are still very early in development. Currently, I'm working on white-marble style castle/palace, similar to the original marble/pillar styles but with a much different palette.

I also have plans for a more naturalistic type of style, similar to orig-dirt, except with a blue/yellowish colourscheme with red leaves (think autumnal).

The other styles are still in the 'ideas' phase of development - I haven't fully decided what I want for those styles, or what colour palette to use for them. Any suggestions would be welcome! ;)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 09:25:57 PM »
The other styles are still very early in development.

Your ideas sound fab, and based on the quality of your existing tilesets (particularly the chalk set) I'm very much looking forward to seeing your work!

Any suggestions would be welcome! ;)

This is a tough one. I'm usually full of ideas, but when it comes to tilesets I can't seem to think of anything both original and worthwhile.

I think a really good beach/tropical theme could be good, but it's difficult to come up with abstract shapes. The tendency is to go full palm trees and beach balls!

It's like Pieuw said, the original tiles are a toolbox to build anything. What's needed, then, is perhaps to think more elemental and abstract with it rather than coming up with a very specific theme that immediately conjures up pre-existing shapes and images.

Offline 92Dexter11

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 02:19:16 PM »
Just looked into the palettes for the original tilesets some more. I forgot to take into account that the original colours use 4096 colours. :forehead: This basically means that the RGB values of each colour are all divisible by 16.

So now I need to go through and modify the colours of all the terrain pieces and objects to convert them into 4096 colours. :forehead::forehead::forehead:

I think a really good beach/tropical theme could be good, but it's difficult to come up with abstract shapes. The tendency is to go full palm trees and beach balls!

I did think about a beach themed style, or possibly a desert/sandy themed one. I'll workshop it. :thumbsup: