Author Topic: Lemmings Title Font  (Read 1837 times)

Offline retro_exo

• View Profile
Lemmings Title Font
« on: October 23, 2023, 05:22:07 PM »
Hello. I've seen a few threads here discussing the font the game uses, however I have not seen one discussing the actual title font the game uses on the box.

It appears there is one however, as this forum has a super clean logo in the top left, with several variations of it. I have attempted several google searches as well as 4 different utilities designed to identify fonts. Unfortunately, the letters being smushed together throws the algorithm off.

Would someone be willing to assist me in identifying this font? Thank you very much for your time.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings Title Font
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 04:19:51 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

Those forum banners have stayed the same for many years. I don't remember their introduction, and I don't know who made them in the first place. Do we have ancient forumers who were here around 2000 to 2005 and remember?

It's possible that the Lemmings title is not typeset, but taken from a hi-res cover of, e.g., Sony's PSP Lemmings.

-- Simon

Offline retro_exo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »
Thank you for the information.

Offline zanzindorf

• View Profile
    • Zanzindorf.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 02:59:41 AM »
I looked into that too when helping out with the NeoLemmix menu redesign. I made the title graphic in NeoLemmix using a font called Cooper. It may also go by Cooper Black, Cooper STD. The actual font used for the original box art is likely hand drawn original font art and not like a digital font one could just download and use. Most Psygnosis games have beautiful box arts with equally beautiful font art. While it's probably pretty easy to find the artist for Lemmings' box art, I'm not sure if that same person did the title font. Not sure.

Cooper gets kinda close. You may search for cooper-like fonts to find one closer, ones with thick rounded serifs. You could probably warp and stretch Cooper to get it pretty darn perfect. I think Cooper is an adobe font. I have an old copy of photoshop, so it probably came with that. However, I'm sure there's other ways to get it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 07:13:31 PM »
The current logos were created around 2014 when we moved from lemmingsforums.com to lemmingsforums.net. They were created by a user Prob Lem who is no longer active, if I remember correctly. She likely created them using rips of the logos from the games as a guideline, but I didn't ask about the process.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)