Author Topic: Soundpacks of Alternate Versions of Lemmings made for NeoLemmix!  (Read 2696 times)

Soundpacks of Alternate Versions of Lemmings made for NeoLemmix!
« on: September 23, 2023, 07:21:36 AM »
I went and recorded all the sound effects from (almost) every version of Lemmings that does NOT just reuse the original samples (plus a couple extra games). I've given them all NL-compatible filenames and put them in a big collection to download. This collection includes sounds from:
  • Atari ST Lemmings
  • Atari ST ONML
  • MS-DOS Lemmings (PC Speaker, Tandy 3-Voice, and AdLib)
  • ZX Spectrum Lemmings
  • PC-98 Lemmings (PC Speaker and PC-9801-26K)
  • Amstrad CPC Lemmings
  • NES Lemmings
  • NES Lemmings Improvement
  • SMS Lemmings
  • Genesis Lemmings
  • Game Boy Lemmings
  • SAM Coupé Lemmings
  • Commodore 64 Lemmings
  • GBC Lemmings (the sound effects in the sound test are copied almost verbatim from the Windows version, but they are used very differently in game; as such, there are two different packs for this version, one matching the sounds to their Windows counterparts, and the other reflecting how they are used in game)
  • PSP Lemmings

You'll also notice a folder named "_dummy" which just exists to more-or-less "turn off" some sound effects. For example, if you wanted to play with Atari ST L1 sounds (which don't include ANY equivalent of the "Let's go!" sound and the like) and don't wish to hear the Amiga Lemmings voice samples mixed together with them, you could copy the dummy folder first to silence all sound effects, then copy the ST L1 folder. The dummy folder also contains the default "success" and "failure" jingles, since a couple soundpacks include them and you can simply turn them off in the audio settings in-game.

I can almost guarantee there's several sounds in here you'll have never heard before, so play around with them to see if you like any. Even try mixing and matching them if you want, though there are NO guarantees that the volume mixing between different soundpacks is any good at all. Enjoy! :)

EDIT 1/19/2024: I have updated the folder to include the sample-based versions as well!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:05:18 AM by The Tomato Watcher »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
Re: Soundpacks of Alternate Versions of Lemmings made for NeoLemmix!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 01:33:14 PM »
Cool stuff! :)

My favorite sound remains the original Amiga "die" sound. It never fails to bring a smile to my face, although that might sound a bit cruel. ;)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 03:02:17 AM »
I noticed Super Nintendo Lemmings isn't on the list

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 12:19:59 AM »

Yeah, I didn't feel like including soundpacks from versions that exclusively (or almost exclusively) just reuse the original samples at different pitches and audio fidelity. If there's interest in that, however, I'll go back and make those :)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 01:30:42 AM »

Yeah, I didn't feel like including soundpacks from versions that exclusively (or almost exclusively) just reuse the original samples at different pitches and audio fidelity. If there's interest in that, however, I'll go back and make those :)
Wouldn't hurt to have, even if you can't have the ascending task bar

There's also some sound differences of the PC Engine version

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 11:57:02 PM »

Wouldn't hurt to have, even if you can't have the ascending task bar

There's also some sound differences of the PC Engine version

I never replied to this, but I did in fact take your suggestion into consideration! So... I now have sound effects from every official version of the game in this folder, with only a couple exceptions:
  • Toshiba J-3100 - as of today, it only exists as a collector's item and is unplayable by the general public.
  • Game Gear - it technically has different sounds than the Master System version, but they are just glitched versions of the same sounds, and recording the Master System sounds was annoying enough.
  • Windows - it would be pointless :P
  • Any version of the game whose sounds are literally exactly identical to another version's (e.g. Acorn Archimedes, PS2, etc.)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 04:09:24 AM »
I like the Windows 95 soundtrack. I even posted it here somewhere, converted from midi to ogg.
...Jeremy Kapp

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 08:51:11 PM »
Brilliant @Tomato Watcher, thanks for posting these! :thumbsup: