Author Topic: [BUG] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps [FIXED]  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
[BUG] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps [FIXED]
« on: September 03, 2023, 06:47:06 PM »
If you try to build near a trap that has been disabled with a Disarmer, the shadow, if it passes through the trigger area, implies the lemming will get eaten by the trap even though they will build through it without incident.

Find attached pictures of the level "Cloning Vats" from Lemmings Cranium showing this in practice... first the laser trap is disabled, and then the truncated builder shadow is shown in the next two images... the first from the Disarmer just as they finish, and the second from another lemming approaching the disabled trap.

Other skill shadows have not been tested, but I imagine the bug to be common to all projections that approach traps.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 11:09:03 PM by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 07:07:18 PM »
Yes, it's the same with other skill shadows too. I first noticed this with the miner on a Lemmings Open Air level after disarming a trap and I found the truncated skill shadow quite odd. I meant to report this but apparently I never got around to doing so :forehead: Thanks for doing so :laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG][PLAYER] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 02:54:55 AM »
New suggestions or bug reports are no longer being taken for NeoLemmix, unless they're particularly critical (or related to WIP features, or newly introduced in an experimental release). Since this has likely been the case for as long as shadows have existed and no one has raised it until now, I don't think this one qualifies.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[BUG] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:51:55 PM »
This topic, basically.

Admin: please merge that one here. Thanks :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: [BUG] Builder shadow doesn't ignore disabled traps
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 11:39:08 AM »
Done!

-- Simon

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 10:48:38 PM »
Upon further investigation, this bug appears to only affect lems that are Disarmers - other lems' skill shadows are displayed as expected.

Best guess so far: Disarmers are still reading the gadget as a trap. So the game, at least during simulation, wants the lem to stop Building/Mining/Bashing/whatever and begin Disarming whenever it sees the trigger area.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 11:17:26 PM by WillLem »

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 11:08:44 PM »
OK, this ended up being quite an easy fix, and my guess was correct! SimulateLem just needed to take disarmed traps into account when deciding whether or not to transition a simulated Disarmer to the "fixing" action.

Fixed in Commit 56f1ed30d.