Author Topic: Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll  (Read 15052 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 07:10:20 PM »
It wouldn't be a Strato pack if there weren't at least one level with a hidden exit. :evil: But I've included a pretty obvious hint on this one...

Here's to us!

A level I've been wanting to make for a very long time and finally got to it today. Also, the solution turned out more unique than I expected.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2023, 06:01:16 PM »
While Lemmings, Drugs, & Rock 'n Roll is a pretty incoherent mess stylistically - Lemmings 3D-inspired levels, geographic-location levels, video-game inspired levels etc. - progress is still ongoing. Even though it's even slower than on Lemmings: Hall of Fame.

I'm certainly trying to focus on completing Hall of Fame first (which only needs about 20 more levels).
As long as I don't keep getting ideas for the Spearer and Grenader that force me to resort to SuperLemmix instead. :evil:

First, two more geography levels that I made today - I can't suddenly leave out the larger locations this time, just because we already visited them in Lemmings World Tour, can I?
So instead, I had to found a new twist I could put on these two countries - something I hadn't already done before. At least not the exact same way.

English Lem in New York
(This one obviously features my red-white English sprites.)

Train ride in Russia
(And this one, of course, features my red-green Soviet sprites.)

And then, there's two more video-game inspired ones.

SQron's Alien tileset is the closest thing to H. R. Giger's art I could find in NeoLemmix.
Except it wasn't quite icky enough on its own, so I had to combine it with Menace.
Hell hath no fury like a Lemming scorned...

Flesh for fantasy

And, in stark contrast, here's a nice and clean, polished city landscape.
This is for anyone who accused me of having created too many "parkour" levels. You haven't seen nothing yet... :evil:
PS: If you recognise the art style, you know the deal: If it's red, jump on it. ;)

Still alive
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2023, 04:21:52 AM »
Can't wait!

I'm ready for a new strato pack!

I hope to see some of these spearer and grenader ideas too. Maybe some modern-day slowfreeze?
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2023, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks! :D As said above, Hall of Fame will be the next one to be finished. After that, just like Lemmings Open Air, it will go through a period of pre-testing. During that time, I can record a few more of the tracks (unless the testers play the pack so quickly that I'm constantly busy trying to fix all the backroutes).

I'm cautious about adding radiation and slowfreeze to new levels - right now, on that front, I'm focused on bringing these objects back to Lemmings World Tour and Pit Lems in SuperLemmix.
Once it becomes clear that there now is a larger audience for radiation and slowfreeze levels, yes, I might feature them on new dedicated SuperLemmix levels, too.

Lemmings, Drugs, & Rock 'n Roll however will first come out for NeoLemmix. There are too many Stoner levels in there already to switch gears mid-development.
As such, there won't be any Spearer or Grenader levels in it (nor will there be in Hall of Fame). Both packs will feature Sliders and Laserers, though (which did not yet appear in my latest pack, Lemmings Open Air).
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2023, 10:34:10 PM »
Looks like I deleted the original Photoshop files for the modified logos and rank signs for both Hall of Fame and Drugs & Rock 'n Roll - when I got rid of that old "Interim New Formats" folder recently (version 12.6). :forehead:
My system images from 2020 and 2022 somehow can't be accessed, because Windows asks me to format those system image files when I want to open them. Otherwise, I could have gone back there to check the New-Formats 12.6 folder.

Luckily, I wasn't planning to make any further changes to the logo or menu signs - with the exception of that one ugly-looking comma I had originally added to the Lemmings, Drugs, & Rock 'n Roll logo (the comma after "Lemmings", which I had placed on the left side of the logo, before the word "Drugs"). Now all I could do was to manually erase that comma from the PNG file, and repair whatever damage the eraser tool did to the Lemmings logo behind it in the process. I did that with a combination of the color-pickup and filler tool (for the light-green edge of the Lemmings logo), and for the dark-green gradient of the font itself, I just copied that over from the Lemmings World Tour logo.

This is what it used to look like:

This is what it looks like now (I've also changed it in the opening post):

The silver lining of the original Photoshop file being lost is that, had I modified the font fields instead, the positioning of the word "Drugs" would have been affected. So perhaps it's for the better this way. :crylaugh:
The most effortful part of creating the logo was putting the guitar in the left lemming's hands anyway (because I had to duplicate some pieces and place those layers above the guitar while erasing the rest).
And that's the part I can always keep reusing from the Lemmings World Tour logo. So if need be, I could recreate the rest manually, and use the existing PNG file as an overlay, to make sure everything lands in the exact same spot. But so far, as long as I don’t want to make any changes to the logos, there is no need to.

TL;DR: Everything in the menu (for this pack and Hall of Fame) will still look the same as shown so far; I can just no longer (or at least not as easily as I would have liked to) make any changes to the logos or menu signs.
My packs so far:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
I definitely appreciate Jeremy's interest in this pack of Strato's, but yea, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Sometime ago, when he reached out to me for assistance with conversion of existing packs to SuperLemmix, including some of yours Strato, I was very confused as to what the rush and hurry to do so was. I do understand Jeremy was trying to put time to good use as he's not able to move around much and is recovering from an auto accident right now, but I do not see converting packs to SuperLemmix as an absolute necessity in any way, especially as I'm not interested whatsoever in this undertaking. There were plenty of levels that threw out errors in the process, and I couldn't bother myself to figure out why those problematic levels wouldn't convert at all. Nope, not going waste my time just to figure out how to resolve those issues, especially given my current hiatus from the game of Lemmings and my wishes to not be disturbed on that front.

It's important to realize that if the same pack exists on multiple engines that it's a lot of maintenance work for the author. For example, if I'm not mistaken, I think Strato is currently the only author to maintain both the Old Formats and New Formats NL versions of LWT. Meaning, he first makes fixes for Old Formats LWT and then pretty much releases the same fixes to the corresponding levels for New Formats.

Icho is the only other author whose Reunion pack is on Old Formats and New Formats, and even on Lemmini, as it was originally for that engine. However, he only maintains the New Formats version of the pack to this day. Any backroutes that still exist for Old Formats and Lemmini won't be fixed. Instead, all he does with those other two is make sure the download link is fine.

In any case, yes, definitely looking forward to Drugs, Rock and Roll and the finished product whenever it's done and ready! :thumbsup: It won't be for a while, Strato's current priority is finishing the other pack that's a WIP, Hall of Fame.

@Strato

Not sure if you ever saw it on my YT channel, but I do have a LP of Lemmings 3D for Dos if you're interested in that ;)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJuJwy0hXSuM-vucom5aK78M

Keep in mind I played the game for the very first time last summer, hence the main reason I struggled with the controls. However, after several levels I started enjoying the game and definitely made me wonder why I never ever played it :laugh:

And yes, I eventually do have plans to play namida's Lemmings Plus 3D pack ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2023, 09:20:14 PM »
I haven't really had the chance to delve into Loap or Lemmings Plus 3D yet, so yes, that will definitely be interesting to see. ;)

Speaking of which, here's another one more in a Lemmings-3D style again - one I forgot last time:

Chocolate salty balls
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2023, 02:18:12 PM »
Now that Lemmings Hall of Fame is completed, I can continue working on this one. I've come up with the solutions for a few levels for which I had only created the terrain previously.

DIGITAL / COMPUTER

Video Game Song

ARMY

'Murica (F*ck Yeah)

CLASSIC / LEMGO

Pyongyang

This one is inspired by the L3D level "Dot to Dot" - I've added a new background to my strato_generalmd tileset, since I couldn't find one featuring red stars among any of the existing backgrounds.

ALIEN

Major Tom
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2023, 07:38:17 PM »
I don't have any feedback on Lemmings Hall of Fame yet, so here's three more levels for this pack:

GOLF

Trinidad

CIRCUS

What a feeling

CANDY

I believe in miracles
My packs so far: