Author Topic: Apple II Lemmings  (Read 5801 times)

Offline deater

• View Profile
Apple II Lemmings
« on: April 15, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »
Hello
I've made a version of Lemmings playable on the old Apple II/II+/IIe systems.  It's only 10 levels and limited to single-screen gameplay but it's more or less functional otherwise:

http://www.deater.net/weave/vmwprod/lemm/

If you want to try it out and don't have an Apple II to run on you can play in-browser at the internet archive:

https://archive.org/details/lemm_20220316

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
Re: Apple II Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2022, 06:53:46 PM »
This is extremely cool! It actually looks above average for Apple2 era games.
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:39:07 AM »
Great port, it captures the original fun of the game, despite the limitations. Hey, have you considered making an original level for this port? :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 11:45:51 PM »
Nicely done, some very cute retro vibes here :lemcat:

Does the port accept mouse input? I was playing the browser version and could only control the cursor with the arrow keys.

Offline deater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 02:38:49 PM »
Does the port accept mouse input? I was playing the browser version and could only control the cursor with the arrow keys.

No, this port doesn't have mouse support.  Later models of the Apple II could support a mouse, but I don't have one to test with. 

Adding mouse support also would complicate the music playing code, as often the Mockingboard (sound card) and mouse card are expected to be in the same expansion slot (#4).

In theory you can press J to enable joystick mode and use a joystick for the pointer, however that's not well tested and also I'm not sure if it would work at all with the in-browser emulator

Offline deater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 02:42:58 PM »
Great port, it captures the original fun of the game, despite the limitations. Hey, have you considered making an original level for this port? :thumbsup:

That is an interesting question, it might be fun to create some levels that take into account the limitations of the port (single screen, bridges aren't quite the same as the original, etc).

I have to admit my Lemmings game playing style was often of the throw every action at a problem in last-minute panic, so open-ended levels match that better rather than the super-clever only-one-real-solution levels.

Your question did get me thinking and so sort of as a joke I put together a 5-level expansion pack that's not really clever, it's mostly just levels made based on images from the Homestar Runner universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVVzelrv0FI