Author Topic: Touchscreen Lemmings?  (Read 2210 times)

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Touchscreen Lemmings?
« on: March 02, 2022, 09:45:26 PM »
There is a version of Lemmings here which launches in a browser and can be played via touchscreen if viewed on a mobile or tablet.

This makes me wonder...

Could a web-hosted lemmings game essentially become "touchscreen lemmings"? The one I've linked to isn't without its issues; it's difficult to get it to fit into the screen, it's very easy to accidentally make the browser bars and stuff appear mid-game, and it sometimes takes a while to respond to a command.

But still, "website as app" is a concept which exists, so maybe this isn't beyond the realms of possibility, and could maybe done with an existing version of lemmings...?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Touchscreen Lemmings?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 07:09:39 PM »
If you have a Windows device with a touchscreen, you can at least to some extent use NeoLemmix on it. This presumably extends to Linux + Wine. Of course, NeoLemmix's UI is not optimized for touch, but one could hypothetically create a fork with different UI that is designed for it (to be clear, this is not something I would consider doing). Porting NL to web would not be possible without a full rewrite from scratch, but - while more of a task than I'm willing to consider taking on - a port to usually-touchscreen OSes as an offline app, in particular Android, is probably more viable.

(Likewise for Loap. And most likely for Lix, too.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 01:54:38 PM »
I can barely believe that it asks for passwords. :P

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »
I can barely believe that it asks for passwords. :P

Yeah, I know. It's not really ideal, but at least it does function as a touchscreen version of Lemmings. The only one I can find, in fact.