Author Topic: [SUG] Allow video embedding  (Read 5010 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] Allow video embedding
« on: December 14, 2021, 06:06:48 PM »
It's in the title. A lot of times it's useful to be able to show something in a video, and there are apparently already several BBcode tags which allow video embedding: [video][/video] and even [youtube][/youtube] are both apparently in general use elsewhere.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] Allow video embedding
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 06:07:27 PM »
+1 :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 06:26:00 PM »
Leaving this link here for me to (hopefully) install later: https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=3982
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 06:34:35 PM »
I still have the custom CSS active that killed video embeds 10 years ago, and replaced them with a text link. That was because the old forum turned every Youtube link into an embed, even when unwanted.

I'll see how the addon fares and how much the explicit embeds will annoy me. Maybe it's fine because people don't overuse.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 11:45:28 PM »
I'm wary of supporting video embeds. One thing I really appreciate about LF is how slick and fast the site loads, which is a rarity these days. Most sites these days are bloated, laggy and resource-hungry, and to me it makes the browsing experience sluggish and frustrating. Wherever you click (e.g. to scroll) suddenly something new opens, because everything has to be interactive.
Let's keep it simple. It is really such a bad trade-off to occasionally click a link rather than playing an embedded video in exchange of having a site that renders and loads smoothly (especially if you changed your settings to displaying 50 posts per page)?

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 01:19:11 PM »
Most sites these days are bloated, laggy and resource-hungry

Do you tend to have lots of tabs open at once, or use multiple browsers?

Let's keep it simple. It is really such a bad trade-off to occasionally click a link rather than playing an embedded video in exchange of having a site that renders and loads smoothly

Good point, worth mentioning. It's definitely worth giving it a try for a while though, and see if there actually is any major problem caused by allowing embedding. If so, then we can always ditch it later; if not, then we have another useful resource for sharing clips.

Ideally, embeds would change into links after the user has watched the video (or after a certain amount of time has passed), to save on loading resources. I'm not even sure if this is possible though.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 09:22:50 PM »
I agree with WillLem in the way that we should at least try it out first. The thing is, I doubt just allowing video embeds will make that much of an impact. In return it would be extremely helpful as lots of discussions involve showing footage of NeoLemmix and it would be really helpful. It's also helpful to have it as an embed if you wanted to just stay on the forums to compare a video between a description or an image without having to switch between tabs easily, for instance.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:12:49 PM »
Whatever you do, make sure that embeds are an option to be specifically gone for. Do not automatically turn YouTube links into embeds, because it is often unnecessary, and in some cases undesired.