Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Uncharted [Difficulty: Medium-Extreme]  (Read 48766 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Uncharted [Difficulty: Medium-Extreme]
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2021, 07:15:48 AM »
V3.2 is out! ;)

Level fixes:
-3 18 Meanwhile in a Parallel Universe - added a bit of terrain near the exit
-4 20 Another Hero Time - added a steel block, added a fire
-5 01 Game of the Century - added some water
-5 02 Overpopulation - added a fire
-5 03 Jumping Bees - added some steel blocks, added a trap, removed some water
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:32:09 AM by Armani »
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2021, 02:41:40 PM »
V3.3 is out! ;)

Level fixes:

-5 01 Game of the Century - modified terrain near the exit, -1jumper, +1shimmier

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2021, 04:07:00 AM »
V3.4 is out! ;)

Level fixes:

-3 18 Meanwhile in a Parallel Universe - added a bit of terrain
-4 20 Another Hero Time - builders are now pick-ups

seems like the troublesome level has finally been patched out properly :XD:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:31:44 PM by Armani »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:22 AM »
Libra rank finally completed. Replays attached, as well as more feedback. Also, as I forgot to download v3.4 of the pack before I started recording part 44 of the LP, I decided to quickly resolve Libra 20, so the replay in the collection is for v3.4. The solution you see in the video is for v3.1, so quite a ways from the most recent version :XD: It seems to still be a backroute, though :P

Libra Rank Feedback

Now the levels really get to the point where the high difficulty starts showing. Not that it wasn't present in the earlier ranks, but in this rank it's now at the point where the LP slowed considerably where I could pretty much only get one level solved per video, as it was pretty much stumpers back-to-back. This therefore indicates that the pack's quite hard, so it seems the difficulty classification in the OP is quite accurate here. The only time when I was able to solve multiple levels were simply where there were contest levels, as I've already played and solved them. The only ones I haven't played of yours is from LDC #19, although they're probably not in the pack. I have a feeling that the final contest levels of the pack are in this rank.

Already right out of the gate I was stumped with Libra 1, even though you mention in the pre-text that it's a "breather." It's totally not btw, but now that I've read your description of the intended solution via the YT comment it goes to show you that even levels with no fancy tricks needed can still be very difficult. Yes, I agree that the solution itself isn't difficult, but being able to find it is a different matter, which of course varies from player to player. Be assured that you're far from being the only one who underestimates the difficulty of your own levels. This goes for any designer, as it's very hard for one to judge the difficulty of one's own pack, which is why feedback is helpful for the content creator.

Of course, the other saving grace of the levels really showing their brutal difficulty is how there seems to be a lot of levels that can still be solved via backroutes ;P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, it was a very long and hard struggle through the penultimate rank, but I finally made it through. This was even on top of me being tired from work every day for the past few weeks and hence my time to LP the pack is far more limited. Except for the weekends, where I'm able to upload more videos than I can on the weekdays. Even with the very short work day I had last Friday and the day off I had this week, I didn't make too much progress at all with the LP, so that advantage was nullified. :crylaugh:

In any case, I'm finally on the 5th and final rank of the pack. Already solved Aquarius 1, and again I forgot to download the new version of the pack before recording, and so it's a backroute. Even then, I think I'm all caught up on the most recent versions of every level, so I should be good to go. The rank already starts off quite difficult, so it's bringing back nightmares of being stuck hard on Genocide 1 of United :crylaugh: Likely a sample of things to come, so it'll likely take a really long time to get through the remaining 19 levels of the pack. However, as I'm quite far into the pack now, I'm quite determined to keep going until the very end! :)

Wish me luck, and I know you'll get yourself all caught up on my LP videos in no time! :thumbsup: Thanks again for all the feedback/compliments and support through the entire playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2021, 12:29:26 PM »
Thanks for all the replays, feedbacks and LPvideos! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And congratulation for reaching the final rank
:lem4ever:

I've finally catched up some of your LPvidoes.
I won't procastinate watching vids from now on.(hopefully :crylaugh:)

Overall you've found intended solutions for most of the levels until 3rd rank and 4th rank.... is gonna be a backroute-fest. :evil:
Granted, the more a certain level is complicated, the more backroute-prone it is.
But you also found some very interesting solutions that I'm willing to take them as alternative solutions or challenge solutions.

The only time when I was able to solve multiple levels were simply where there were contest levels, as I've already played and solved them. The only ones I haven't played of yours is from LDC #19, although they're probably not in the pack. I have a feeling that the final contest levels of the pack are in this rank.

I'm not 100 sure but only about half of my contest levels are in this pack. The main reason why some levels are rejected is that I wasn't too happy with the quality of them. And my two levels from LDC#19(I can't even remember their titles :P) are obvious examples. If you LP previous contest levels in the future, you will see them eventually.(One of them is very very vulnerable to backroutes and I gave up fixing them. And I can't even remember what another level looks like!)

Already right out of the gate I was stumped with Libra 1, even though you mention in the pre-text that it's a "breather." It's totally not btw, but now that I've read your description of the intended solution via the YT comment it goes to show you that even levels with no fancy tricks needed can still be very difficult. Yes, I agree that the solution itself isn't difficult, but being able to find it is a different matter, which of course varies from player to player. Be assured that you're far from being the only one who underestimates the difficulty of your own levels. This goes for any designer, as it's very hard for one to judge the difficulty of one's own pack, which is why feedback is helpful for the content creator.

Yeah. (old)Aries10 is an obvious example. The difficulty still jumps around here and their but it's my first pack and I can't expect too much at my first attempt. :crylaugh: Hopefully my next project will have more smooth difficulty curve.

I found it funny that my list of favorite levels and your list have a lot of levels in common though!(Libra3, 9, 13, 15...) I'm really happy that I'm not the only one who enjoy these levels. :laugh:

Good luck with your LP on final rank ;) It won't be easy but I believe you will complete it eventually if you don't give up. :thumbsup:

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2021, 12:31:21 PM »
V3.5 is out! ;)

Level fixes:

-4 01 Flattening Process - moved the steel block slightly to the left
-4 14 Medium Well-done - added a OWW
-4 15 Help Yourself - new talisman "Don't Try This at Home if You are Not kaywhyn": save 35/40(1more than required) using no more than 2 climbers
-4 18 Moolight Sculptor - added a fire
-4 19 Slip 'N Slide - added a steel block
-4 20 Another Hero Time - added some steel blocks
-5 03 Jumping Bees - added a steel block
-5 09 IRON JUGGERNAUT 2 - jumpers are now pick-ups

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
-4 15 Help Yourself - new talisman "Don't Try This at Home if You are Not kaywhyn": save 35/40(1more than required) using no more than 2 climbers

:crylaugh:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2021, 12:00:40 PM »
BIG update 8-)

V3.6 is out! ;)

Level fixes:
-5 04 Rhythmical - added some water, locked the RR
-5 05 Abandoned Library - added some fire, added a button
-5 06 RefleXion - added a bit of terrain, added a time limit of 2:10
-5 07 Double-Edged Sword - added a bit of terrain, added a steel block, increased the save requirement by 1
-5 08 Purity and Industry - added a steel block
-5 09 IRON JUGGERNAUT 2 - modified a bit of terrain, moved the position of a jumper pick-up
-5 10 Triple Lutz - added some fire, added a steel block, a blocker is now a pick-up
-5 11 Lost in an Ice Cave - added some steel blocks
-5 12 Butterfly Effect - removed a bit of terrain, added some traps, added a steel block
-5 13 System Malfunction - added a steel block
-5 15 Simulation FARO - swapped the positions of a basher pick-up and a platformer pick-up
-5 16 Facade of Indifference - modified terrain a bit in the left side of the level

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »
Oh dang, I found so many backroutes! :P Practically every level in the final rank has been one except for the first three levels. Woot woot, go me! :laugh: Bet you're thankful for this, especially since the last two ranks have mostly been untested. Well, as you may have seen, down to the final 5 levels of the pack now, and I have every intention to finish it/the LP up :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
And, the Aquarius rank has fallen and hence I have solved the entire pack! If I'm not mistaken, I'm probably the first person to do so :) My entire replay collection is attached. Also, I decided to resolve Aquarius 1, since the one in the LP is for an unpatched version. Everything else in the LP for the Aquarius rank should be up-to-date.

Aquarius Rank Feedback

The hardest levels of the entire pack are found in this rank, and hence it was a very long struggle, even more so than the Libra rank. Pretty much the entire rank was very hard, and it definitely shows in my LP, as most of the time I could only solve one level per video. There were only a few videos where I was able to solve two levels in one, and there was even one where I could had been able to take down 3 in one, but alas that wasn't the case. It also happens to be the longest video in the entire LP, over 1.5 hours :crylaugh: Sorry about that, I guess I was very determined to get Aquarius 14 solved, but I gave up in the end and my brain was just hurting :XD:

However, the saving grace in this rank is how I managed to backroute pretty much every level! :P Last I checked the update patched up through 5 16, so pretty much the only levels that weren't were 5 2, 5 3, and 5 14. Sorry to disappoint you, but I think I might have found a backroute in each of the final 4 levels of the rank as well :laugh: So, that pretty much makes every solution a backroute except for the three levels mentioned, but let's wait for your feedback on 5 17 - 5 20.

The fact that I've even managed to solve levels in this rank is just beyond belief for me here, particularly since the difficulty is described by you as "extreme~" :crylaugh: Which I think is appropriate, as practically every level in the rank was a very big struggle for me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What can I say that hasn't been said yet? This is quite a well-done pack despite all the numerous backroutes I've found in the later ranks :thumbsup: I definitely enjoyed it a lot, and I'm still in disbelief that I managed to make it through to the very end with the LP. Before starting it, you will recall that I had fears that I was going to regret the decision to LP it due to signing up what sounds to be quite a difficult pack. However, since I managed to make it through to the very end after 66 videos, I don't have any regrets whatsoever :P What's even more amazing is how I managed to solve both United and Uncharted, something not many people will be able to say. Hence, I consider this quite a wonderful accomplishment to have done both :)

To the others, beware that Uncharted is a very hard pack, almost up there with United, but after having played through the entire thing, I definitely agree that it isn't as hard as United. However, it starts off harder than United IMO, and manages to stay more or less the same in difficulty, with the occasional odd level that's considerably harder than most of the other levels in the rank, up through the Leo rank. Then, once you get into the 4th rank, the difficulty really steps up. In my experiences, it was a very hard and long struggle, and even more so with the 5th and final rank. Even then, don't let the very high difficulty intimidate you. I certainly didn't when I played through United most of last year. However, it is a large time commitment, and you have to be willing to take on the levels and allow yourself to struggle and be stuck on them if you are to make any kind of progress. Admittedly, a lot of the patched up versions I don't have a clue as to how to go about solving them, but I'm one of those people who usually doesn't go back and resolve backroute fixed levels. I might do it for this pack, but I'm not sure. I'm almost certain that I won't, though.

Overall, wonderful job with your first level pack, Armani! :) I look forward to your next project that you're working on, as well as any future levels of yours. Good luck to anyone who's willing to take up playing and solving this pack! ;)

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks again for feedback, replays and LP videos! :thumbsup: I’ve tried to watch at least one video everyday so now I only have 3 or 4 videos to watch. ;)

Unfortunately, most of the solutions to 5th ranks are backroutes. :( So not much things to mention for individual levels.. but here we go! :)

comments on several levels (click to show/hide)

And, the Aquarius rank has fallen and hence I have solved the entire pack! If I'm not mistaken, I'm probably the first person to do so :)
Yeah I know what you mean but I want to keep the title "First person to complete Lemmings Uncharted" for someone who will solve every level of the pack with intended or at least acceptable solutions in the future.

To the others, beware that Uncharted is a very hard pack, almost up there with United, but after having played through the entire thing, I definitely agree that it isn't as hard as United. However, it starts off harder than United IMO, and manages to stay more or less the same in difficulty, with the occasional odd level that's considerably harder than most of the other levels in the rank, up through the Leo rank. Then, once you get into the 4th rank, the difficulty really steps up. In my experiences, it was a very hard and long struggle, and even more so with the 5th and final rank. Even then, don't let the very high difficulty intimidate you. I certainly didn't when I played through United most of last year. However, it is a large time commitment, and you have to be willing to take on the levels and allow yourself to struggle and be stuck on them if you are to make any kind of progress. Admittedly, a lot of the patched up versions I don't have a clue as to how to go about solving them, but I'm one of those people who usually doesn't go back and resolve backroute fixed levels. I might do it for this pack, but I'm not sure. I'm almost certain that I won't, though.
The intended solutions of the levels from the last two ranks are still hidden. And almost all the best and the hardest puzzles and new tricks of the pack are there. So I think it’s hard to judge the difficulty of the pack at this point, especially since majority of the backroutes so far were major ones. ;)

Overall, wonderful job with your first level pack, Armani! :) I look forward to your next project that you're working on, as well as any future levels of yours. Good luck to anyone who's willing to take up playing and solving this pack! ;)
There were some mind-boggling solutions.(your solutions to “Magic box” and Help Yourself“ come to my mind. Especially my mind got blown by your solution to ”Help Yourself“ so I thought I have to pay some kinds of tribute to you and added a talisman. XD)
Can’t thank you enough for playing the pack and all the backroutes! You’ve been a GREAT help to improve the pack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
V3.7 is out! ;)

Level fixes:
-5 01 Game of the Century - moved some fire, added a OWW
-5 02 Overpopulation - -1shimmier
-5 16 Facade of Indifference - modified terrain a bit
-5 17 Forgive Us - added some fire above the hatch
-5 18 One Lemming to Rule Them All - removed the background, a basher is now a pick-up
-5 19 Immoral Society - modified terrain a bit, added a trap
-5 20 Lovebirds Duet - corrected some grammar errors in the pretext, added a steel block

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean but I want to keep the title "First person to complete Lemmings Uncharted" for someone who will solve every level of the pack with intended or at least acceptable solutions in the future.

Fair point, although keep in mind that not everyone is like you in resolving patched up levels :P What is considered a level pack "solved" seems to mean different things to different people. For example, despite a lot of backroutes still abound, Strato still considers me the first one to have completed all of Lemmicks and Old Formats LWT.

For me, it simply means solving every level of the pack at least once, and so most of the time I don't bother to go back and resolve backroute fixed levels. Once I've gotten through a level pack, I consider myself done with that particular level pack and generally move on to other ones and usually don't look back. For your pack, I may or may not do it, but I think I will, for the most part, won't. From my understanding, I'm not the only one who does this, although there's still some number of people who are like you as well in resolving patched up levels even after having solved the entire pack.

The intended solutions of the levels from the last two ranks are still hidden. And almost all the best and the hardest puzzles and new tricks of the pack are there. So I think it’s hard to judge the difficulty of the pack at this point, especially since majority of the backroutes so far were major ones. ;)

Your pack is less than half as long as United, as well as having about only half the number of levels per rank that United does. So, the difficulty of the levels of Uncharted increasing much faster than United is kind of justified. At the same time, your pack does make use of both of the two new NL skills that just got added to the stable release earlier this year, and because most of us seem to still be getting used to their mechanics, that's why the levels featuring them can feel quite hard, but if one is familiar with them then they won't seem or feel as hard. Similarly, I have an inkling that United could possibly be much harder had there been levels featuring both the shimmier and the jumper skills in the main ranks, but the only reason they don't is due to how the level pack was made before they were in the stable release. Even more, you only see levels featuring the shimmier skill in the Bonus rank of United, but no levels featuring the jumper.

For now, I still consider your level pack not as difficult as United, so I'm in a bit of agreement with your supposed prediction of the difficulty compared to it, although I think I can confidently say that the 5th rank's difficulty seems to exceed that of United's Genocide rank. At least it feels like it, just because of how it was a very long struggle throughout the entire rank. I even look back on some of the Aquarius levels and I still don't understand why I struggled on some of them, as I see now that some of the solutions aren't that hard at all. I still think it's something that goes on while one is LPing. Doing that and solving on camera doing both well is far harder than it seems! :laugh: However, it's not all bad, as it at least allows a glance into how one approaches level solving in real time.

There were some mind-boggling solutions.(your solutions to “Magic box” and Help Yourself“ come to my mind. Especially my mind got blown by your solution to ”Help Yourself“ so I thought I have to pay some kinds of tribute to you and added a talisman. XD)
Can’t thank you enough for playing the pack and all the backroutes! You’ve been a GREAT help to improve the pack! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was my pleasure to LP your pack and to help you along with finding horrible backroutes to many of these levels :thumbsup: I think, by my approximation, I helped to find backroutes to about half the number of levels in the pack, which, all things considered, is quite a lot, although it definitely could had been worse :P I thought I would find way more than that, though honestly sometimes I think I'm not as good at backrouting levels as I think I am :laugh: Rather, I seem to be really good at overcomplicating and finding quite messy and fiddly solutions.

Thanks again for the tribute for the talisman for Libra 15! :thumbsup: However, while I was recording the outros in the final LP video, I noticed something very strange, and that is when I clicked to display the talisman for the level my name is completely cut off, i.e, you don't see it at all. It simply says "Don't try this at home if you are not" and then it stops there without displaying my username. That kind of ruined a special moment for me in the video, but I explained to the viewers what it's really supposed to say. I wonder if that is due to a character limit or a bug. I'll make sure to report this as a bug if it is one.

edit: Ok, I investigated further and it is not a bug but due to the character limit. When typing the name of the talisman, it simply stops at the word "not" and therefore doesn't allow you type my username. The only workaround I can think of at the moment is that it's simply called "Don't Try This If You Are Not Kaywhyn." This would allow you to get my username on there, though maybe there can be a suggestion to increase the character limit for talisman names.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:30:04 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2021, 01:19:54 AM »
Ah yes, it seems like there's the character limit for talisman names.
At first I wrote the talisman name in window default text program and copied&pasted it to the NL editor and it worked well.
But it seems like it doesn't display in NL player properly.

I personally prefer the original talisman name but for the time being, I made the talisman name "Don't Try This If You Are Not Kaywhyn" as you suggested.
If there'll be some kind of updates on increasing the character limit for talisman names, we can go back to original name. ;)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »
I personally prefer the original talisman name but for the time being, I made the talisman name "Don't Try This If You Are Not Kaywhyn" as you suggested.
If there'll be some kind of updates on increasing the character limit for talisman names, we can go back to original name. ;)

Yes, I agree that what you named the talisman originally is the better one. My suggestion is simply a workaround in the meantime :P In that case, I'll likely report a suggestion for allowing more characters for talisman names then. Since it's for the NL editor, I think this should be fine, since there's no hard deadline for it to reach a "final" version.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 06:04:51 AM »
V3.8 is out! ;)

Level fixes:

-5 06 RefleXion - repositioned one of the trap, added some water, changed the skillset a bit
-5 13 System Malfunction - added a OWW