Author Topic: AV keeps quarantining Lix  (Read 285 times)

Offline WillLem

• Just keep swimming
    • View Profile
AV keeps quarantining Lix
« on: May 08, 2021, 11:22:41 PM »
It's in the title. It's happened a few times now and I have to keep manually restoring it only for it to get quarantined again.

I've now added it to my list of "Trusted Items" (not ideal), but... just thought you might want to know that something is flagging it up as a virus.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:39:02 PM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: AV keeps quarantining Lix
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
Hmm, thanks, there is little I can do about it. Lix is generally unknown, it deletes files, and it sends things over the network. It's possible that some AV heuristics will flag it as malware.

Add an exception for Lix in the AV software, yes.

Which AV software is it?

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 06:58:04 PM »
In general - two things to always do when reporting an AV false positive:
1. Make sure to mention which AV it is. If many AVs are reporting a positive, it's possible that the app accidentally (or, not for Lix but just generally speaking, maybe intentionally) contains a virus. In the case of a false positive, it's far more likely to be isolated to one AV.
2. Report it to the AV devs as well. They are likely the ones who need to fix it (but doesn't hurt to report to the app's dev too).

Offline WillLem

• Just keep swimming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:39:45 AM »
The AV is McAfee LiveSafe. I got a free year's subscription when I bought my new laptop (coming up to the 12 month mark now actually - time flies!)

It's not the best AV I've had. The interface is really badly laid out and the tech support team were unable to fix an issue I've been having with the software on my Mac, so I've just had to live with that - I'll definitely be switching to a different one when the subscription's up.

Meanwhile, I've reported the Lix issue to the AV devs as suggested, just in case they can do anything about it which may benefit others - maybe it'll flag up a bug or something.

Offline Forestidia86

• inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 04:58:26 PM »
Out of interest:
Does the AV quarantine the full Lix directory or only the executable lix.exe?
Does the AV give an explanation/decription why it quarantines?

Offline WillLem

• Just keep swimming
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 12:55:05 AM »
Out of interest:
Does the AV quarantine the full Lix directory or only the executable lix.exe?
Does the AV give an explanation/decription why it quarantines?

Only the executable, and the threat is described as "Real-Protect" followed by a string of characters. No other information is given by the AV.