Author Topic: [SUG][UI][PLAYER] Skill panel layout  (Read 1323 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG][UI][PLAYER] Skill panel layout
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
Since UI feature suggestions are heading towards finality, I thought I'd bring this one up as it's an idea I've had for a while and others may agree.

Let me start by saying that the current dimensions should, of course, remain as they are. This suggestion is more to do with how the panel itself is laid out, and the possibilities for additional buttons to be included.

I'd suggest adding 1 extra button, bringing the total to 20. This would allow for the addition of a "save replay" button, and (possibly) a "show skills used" button (if this feature gets implemented, that is). Here's a mockup:

Note that the "load replay" folder button is now paired with a "save replay" counterpart, and the "show skills used" button is paired with CPM.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:28:48 AM by WillLem »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [SUG][UI][PLAYER] Skill panel layout
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 04:53:32 PM »
For skill panel suggestions, it's important to be aware that both the full and compact panels exist, just to clarify what is actually being suggested.

If I have it right, this suggestion would apply to the full panel only -- users of the compact panel have already chosen to do without "load replay" and "clear physics" buttons, so it doesn't make sense to push a "save replay" button on them.

Adding an extra button, while keeping the panel the same size, would obviously require shrinking the minimap. It's already pretty small, and most levels are wider than they are tall, so I don't think that's a good idea unless there's a really strong reason for it. (It's true that the minimap doesn't cope well with tall levels, but that's a separate problem, and I'm not sure there is any good solution.)

A "save replay" button does make obvious sense -- the only thing against it is that many users have automatic replay saving on (and I am pretty sure this is on by default), so perhaps there is less need for it. But as I said in the "show skills used" topic (and namida has agreed), this is far too niche a feature to justify a button. The save-'em-up contests are a lot of fun, but other than that, have you ever needed to see how many of a skill you've used? I suppose it's also useful for SYCLW challenges, but those are already tracked by the engine.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 07:23:21 PM »
I'm open to suggestions about this in general, but "Show Used Skills" has basically zero chance of getting a clickable button.

Yes - compact panel will not be changing.

For the full-size panel - I'd pretty much rule out any change that will necessitate moving / resizing the minimap, or expanding the overall size of the skill panel. This is simply because making changes to the minimap has been really messy and lead to bugs (in some cases subtle ones that don't get discovered until much later) in the past. However, suggestions that simply involve replacing and/or reordering buttons - which can also include making more top/bottom splits - can be considered. That's not to say "I'll make changes just for the sake of it", but if ideas come up with enough support (or simply with really good arguments for them), I'm open to it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 02:15:00 AM »
Adding an extra button, while keeping the panel the same size, would obviously require shrinking the minimap.

Or expanding the panel itself to the left...?

as I said in the "show skills used" topic (and namida has agreed), this is far too niche a feature to justify a button. The save-'em-up contests are a lot of fun, but other than that, have you ever needed to see how many of a skill you've used?

Here are a list of possible uses:

1) Tracking how many skills you've used so far generally (could be useful for X-of-everything levels)
2) As a valuable level creation tool (provide yourself with infinity of everything, solve the level with the "skills used" view enabled and voilà - you have your skillset)
3) Save-em-up contests
4) SYCLW challenges
5) When playing for a Talisman which limits skill usage (so, basically most of them ;P)

So that's 5 without really trying. Having a button for something tends to encourage its wider use as well, so it's possible that other uses for it may arise over time.

Furthermore, contests and challenges (not to mention custom levels) are two of the main reasons to play NeoLemmix. It therefore makes sense to amplify this in the UI.

With that said...

I'm open to suggestions about this in general, but "Show Used Skills" has basically zero chance of getting a clickable button.

Fair enough :)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 02:50:57 AM »
Adding an extra button, while keeping the panel the same size, would obviously require shrinking the minimap.

Or expanding the panel itself to the left...?

Expanding the panel while keeping it the same size? Why not make it a triangular circle while you're about it? :P

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:54:54 AM »
Expanding the panel while keeping it the same size? Why not make it a triangular circle while you're about it? :P

I have a song called The Triangular Circle!!! :lemcat:

It's called that because a love heart looks a bit like a triangular circle. The chorus lyric goes:

Love's a shape we don't quite understand
Somewhere between a nightmare and a wonderland
And it's there to softly catch us if we ever fall
Because love makes heroes of us, after all
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 03:03:52 AM by WillLem »