Author Topic: [???][EDITOR] Remove LVL etc options  (Read 1160 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[???][EDITOR] Remove LVL etc options
« on: January 11, 2021, 06:21:55 PM »
NL 12.10.0 onwards no longer supports LVL (or INI, or LEV) files, so the editor should not try to open them (as its ability to do so works on the basis of "get NL to convert it to an NXLV"), or indeed, should not offer the option to do so.

To be clear: This is not proposing removing any functionality. The editor never had the ability to open these files; it had the ability to ask NL to convert them to NXLV (and then open the resulting NXLV). NL no longer supports these formats, so this is essentially "the editor needs to stop asking it to try, and stop suggesting to the user that it can do so".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
Re: [???][EDITOR] Remove LVL etc options
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
It would be good to make sure there's a specific error box that directs people to either get an older version of NeoLemmix, or use classic lemmix.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 03:07:09 AM »
I agree it should be as clear as possible that the current version doesn't open any format other than NXLV, and the best way to do this is to remove the dropdown option.

As for directing users to old formats, I'd say the best way to approach this would be to have the main versions always pinned on the forum somewhere. So, 1.43 as the final version to support .ini, 12.9 as the final version to support .lvl, etc. That way, users who need this functionality can easily find the old versions they need.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:53 PM »
In case users still have old content (whether something publicly released that hasn't been converted yet, or unreleased content made in older versions, including old LemEdit/vanilla Lemmix levels), I think it would be beneficial to have a pinned old content conversion guide lying around - what would be the sequence of versions required to update a LemEdit/vanilla Lemmix level all the way to the latest version of NL?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 11:44:11 PM »
what would be the sequence of versions required to update a LemEdit/vanilla Lemmix level all the way to the latest version of NL?

V12.9.X still has support for those. The only thing it doesn't support are LVL files from some of the very early NL levels, but as far as I know all content from those days has been updated to at least something that's still supported in V12.9.X.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)