Author Topic: [SuperLemmini] WillLem's SUPERLEMMINGS & Xmas SUPERLEMMINGS!  (Read 16912 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SuperLemmini] WillLem's SUPERLEMMINGS & Xmas SUPERLEMMINGS!
« on: December 01, 2020, 07:07:13 PM »

10 Levels at SUPERLEMMING SPEED!

Challenge Rules

:lemming: Do not press pause - Exception: you may pause the level at the beginning to plan your strat, but once play commences the pause button cannot be used for any reason
:lemming: You may use Direction Select and any of the other QOL tools that SuperLemmini offers, but bonus points are awarded for non-use of these
:lemming: Replays are not permitted at all - if the level restarts due to a failed attempt, play must also restart

Level List (click to show/hide)

The pack includes:

:lemming: Levels
:lemming: Custom Cursor
:lemming: Logo Graphic

See also WillLem's SUPERLEMMINAS

These levels are intended to be played without using the pause button!

Please note that this pack was written for SuperLemmini. If playing in SuperLemminiToo, it is strongly recommended that you disable the Timed Bomber option!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:39:12 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
[SuperLemmini] WillLem's XMAS SUPERLEMMINGS!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:08:34 PM »

10 Levels at SUPERLEMMING SPEED!

Challenge Rules

:lemming: Do not press pause - Exception: you may pause the level at the beginning to plan your strat, but once play commences the pause button cannot be used for any reason
:lemming: You may use Direction Select and any of the other QOL tools that SuperLemmini offers, but bonus points are awarded for non-use of these
:lemming: Replays are not permitted at all - if the level restarts due to a failed attempt, play must also restart

Level List (click to show/hide)

SUPERHINTS!!! (click to show/hide)

The pack includes:

:lemming: Levels
:lemming: Music
:lemming: Mods (for Xmas Sprites)
:lemming: Custom Cursor
:lemming: Logo Graphic

These levels are intended to be played without using the pause button!

Please note that this pack was written for SuperLemmini. If playing in SuperLemminiToo, it is strongly recommended that you disable the Timed Bomber option!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 11:39:25 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SuperLemmini] WillLem's SUPERLEMMINGS!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:18:41 PM »
So, I'm working on a pack of 10 levels (one in each of the original styles) all featuring the SUPERLEMMING! Since SuperLemmini still supports this mode of play, it seems to make sense to do this as an engine-specific project.

I'm going to keep track of the levels here as and when they get made, as it's likely I'll work on these one at a time over the course of the next few weeks, depending on how much time I get to devote to wrestling with the 1.43 Editor!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:19:31 AM by WillLem »

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
O.o a Superlemmini pack! :thumbsup: I so am looking forward to this when it's done and released.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »
Hey Willem, Great to know you know now how to make packs. As before you were struggling with it. Although it would be nice if Tsyu would show up. Also using 1.43 is still not a very good editor.
I tried Jbuilder 1.76 but It alot of times has issues saving .inis. Many times the levels Styles are blank when trying to play it. So I won't even use it anymore. It would be awesome if as you posted in
New features for Superlemmini that Tsyu would put a built-in editor, but maybe that might be hard. Don't know. Also I think we all would like backwards step-framing. As Icho doesn't like Superlemmini either because when making 1 error, you have to start replay over up to the point of the error. I agree here. I'ts annoying. I had to replay many times over when getting the replays
for my conversion packs especially the difficult Reunion and Pimolems.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:50:47 PM »
Challenge accepted. Level 5 pause free replay attached. Surprisingly came down to the wire on time, where I only had about 7 seconds remaining. A lot of the areas are very difficult to do pause free. Obviously if you did pause it would be very easy.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 11:42:02 PM »
Thanks for taking on the challenge kaywhyn, you did well to play the whole level without pausing!

I couldn't resist doing this one myself, here's a video of my pause-free playthrough. It is possible to complete it well within the time limit :lemcat:

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »
Hi WillLem

I like the idea of creating a level one for each level theme, like one rock, one snow.  Also having just one lemming on it is actually not a bad idea and could be a fun one on its own.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 01:54:03 AM »
I couldn't resist doing this one myself, here's a video of my pause-free playthrough. It is possible to complete it well within the time limit :lemcat:

Haha I don't doubt that it is very possible to finish with a lot of time leftover, even when playing pause free. I ended up making some things harder for myself in some areas while attempting a pause free playthrough. You also seem to have much faster and better reflexes than me ;) Also, I have recently played a NL level that had both the Superlemming and frenzy gimmicks enabled, although it's not quite the same thing since the save requirement was very relaxed so as to not cause a lot of frustration. In addition, there was a third gimmick enabled, karoshi, where the goal is to kill lemmings instead of save them. So, guess it's coincidence that your Superlemming pack you're working on for Superlemmini came at the right time :P

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Cool Level, Keep up the good work with making SL Levels. Merged the 2 original lemmings levels into one. awesome.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »
So I had a few whacks at level 7 on Lemmini, and I'm really inclined to believe that we have a case where the level is possible on Superlemmini but not on Lemmini not because of the physics but because of the very strict timer and the way it works with the Superlemming gimmick. Here, you need to take into consideration that each bomber takes 5 seconds, and with all the bombers that are used to get through the extremely thick wall this uses up way too much time on the clock. Also the extremely long distance that the lemmings need to walk before they even reach the wall. Worse of all, the game clock is sped up along with the lemmings being sped up. In contrast, in SL the lemmings are sped up, but the game clock goes at the regular pace. Therefore, it is a complete waste of time to play the level on Lemmini as you're just wasting time on a level that isn't possible to finish on time. Obviously the only fix is to increase the timer, but then it also makes the SL version no longer as big of a challenge.

That reminds me. I do recall a snow level from Pimolems where the Superlemming gimmick is used, although I have recently been reminded of it from a few months ago. I have totally forgotten about it due to how much time has passed since I last played the pack on Lemmini. So yes, there's your confirmation that Lemmini does indeed support the gimmick.

note: I also forgot. The level had the problem again where the hatch and exit don't appear when loading in Lemmini, and so I had to resave the level in the editor. Also, unchecking the read only box allowed me to save the level under the name you gave the file ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:12:59 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 04:59:40 PM »
Great level, what makes it easier is that last part with the gap.

Here is my replay for the level

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 10:43:29 PM »
OK, so... since it's apparently not possible to have one Xmas level in a pack (because the Xmas sprites have to be applied to the whole pack as a "mod"), I've instead decided to make a Bonus pack of 10 Christmas-themed levels!

It makes sense really, since it is Christmas and it means I get to re-use the Christmas music I made for last year's Xmas Lemmings 2019 :lemcat:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 12:19:54 AM by WillLem »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
awesome WillLem, Finally glad you know how to put the levels into packs as they now show up in the level list. Once you get the hang of how to make the packs(levelpack.ini), it's really not that difficult. Of course there are other tile sets you can use to make levels besides the original and ohno and holiday ones. Also there are Icho's and Zanzindorf's styles sets which I have in my 1.43 editor Superlemmini styles folder.