Author Topic: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]  (Read 29893 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Easy – Hard]
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2020, 06:48:00 AM »
Had a quick glance at some of these levels and really like the designs! I've added this to my LP List :lemcat:

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »
Thank you WillLem, it's nice ! I have a fairly developed artistic sense, it's true ! ;P

Right now, I'm updating my levels on Gronkling's and IchoTolot's advices, and I'm making the levels "more complex", because some levels are too easy and don't require a lot of thought : I make them more "in the spirit of NeoLemmix."

I will update this pack shortly ! :thumbsup:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2020, 09:38:07 PM »
I'm making the levels "more complex", because some levels are too easy and don't require a lot of thought

Don't make them too complex. The forums need more easy levels! ;P

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
Don't make them too complex. The forums need more easy levels! ;P

Don't worry WillLem : it's just a little harder ! :P
Besides, is it true what you say ? There are few easy packs ? ???

I just updated my level pack following Gronkling and IchoTolot's advices (thank you ! ;)), including removing invisible locked exit, removing invisible updraft and removing timer (in 90% of levels). Finally, I made changes in a lot of levels to make them more engaging and more challenging. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Updated the following styles for download :

davidz_addamscrypt : invisible locked exit and teleporter-stopper/receiver-stopper removed.
davidz_gold : invisibile locked exit removed.
davidz_marble_ex : invisibile locked exit removed.
davidz_marble_blue : splat transformed into anti-splat (to avoid confusion !).
davidz_space_ex : updraft invisible removed.

Download updated styles and level pack in the First post ! :thumbsup:

Bye ! ;P

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
There's just been a lot of hard content compared to easy stuff, especially in New Formats. Pretty good way to tell is you can look through the Neolemmix levels board and look at the packs that have a difficulty tag attached to them. You'll see there's little that are labeled easy/medium. Or, simply play through more packs. Generally, it's difficult for authors to judge the difficulty of their own packs, and this is where feedback on the levels for the author is helpful. Also, keep in mind the discussion that difficulty is subjective. What people found difficult might be easy for others or vice versa. Definitely the way to get better at level solving is to play more packs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2020, 09:59:52 PM »
Thank you kaywhyn ! You are right ! ;)

There is more challenge in creating difficult levels. It's naturally more exciting, I think ! In fact, I imagine passionate gamers are talented, seasoned, and enjoy challenging (very) difficult levels !... :thumbsup:

However, easy levels are great for learning ! It's necessary for newcomers ;P But, are there many newcomers who don't know anything and want to "learn NeoLemmix" ? I don't know...

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2020, 10:09:32 PM »
Generally, almost everyone here has some experience with the official games, and it's usually recommended to play through them first before taking on custom level packs, since these tend to be far more difficult. There are some that have very little to none, but those are far and few in between. As for learning NL, there's always the NL manual and Icho's NL Tutorial Pack. Of course, it's not mandatory to play the official games first before playing custom packs. In the same way it's not necessary to play the NL Tutorial Pack before playing custom level packs for NL, but I still highly recommend that pack to anyone, whether a newcomer or expert. I'm a good example here, where upon switching to playing on NL last year I immediately took on the hardest pack there is in existence, United. I didn't familiarize myself with the controls by playing other packs on NL before this. Prior to playing United, I've been a heavy player on Lemmini/Superlemmini for 4-5 years, and I have played through Dovelems, Pimolems, Lemmings Reunion, and Sub Lems. Also, I'm a player who is willing to take on packs of any difficulty, so as you can see the extreme difficulty label of United didn't scare me from playing it. I seem to have a very high level of patience compared to most when it comes to playing/solving, as I'm willing to sit through levels and struggle with them until I get them solved on my own.

As I did mention before, this pack of yours is eventually on my to-play list. Just as soon as I get all of my planned LPs done :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2020, 10:23:51 PM »
Thank you for these explanations. For my part, I knew Lemmings Original and Christmas as a child, then I discovered Lemmix (many years after its release), NeoLemmix then. I had two problems : I did not know the existence of this forum and I had a busy life (so, little time to play). ;P

I told myself that by registering on this forum, I would learn a lot of things. And I confirm ! So, I've downloaded a lot of packs (the only ones I've played are namida's, but just a few, "sporadically"). I am currently with PimoLems, I advance at my own pace, and like you, I don't like giving up or looking at solutions. However... I'm not going to try Lemmings United yet. :thumbsup:

Besides, for updating styles : will namida take care of it ? ???

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 12:34:40 AM »
Hey, I like the running rank names, that's actually quite cool. :thumbsup: I notice a lot of people are into their running this weather. I used to be actually quite good the running in the past but as of now not as good as I used to be. I was hoping to maybe do a half marathon in the future although that will be hard.

I think making levels difficult makes a challenge at least. I might maybe get round to playing your pack one time. Sorry I've not been playing packs lately. 

I'm sure your pack will be quite good. Getting into the level pack making is fun but sometimes can be tricky thinking of the ideas.

Good luck David :thumbsup:

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2020, 01:19:27 AM »
Hello grams88 ! Nice picture !!! I love Columbo, I watched all the episodes a few years ago ... :P

I suddenly feel... guilty ! :o

Thank you for your nice message ! There was a time when I really liked running (not running after time, nor after murderers, but running... with my legs ;P). So, the pack update has just been completed, and the difficulty of some levels has been increased. There are undoubtedly backroutes that I will have to correct. But I need more... testers.

I really like "creating" and I always have a lot of ideas, in a lot of sectors. However, creating level packs isn't easy and I will be very happy if you play this one !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bye !

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2020, 07:14:22 PM »
I have resolved the levels I've solved so far, but during a mass replay check I noticed that a few levels of the pack share the same level ID --> Replay gets matched to the wrong level.

So far these are the contenders for that:

Fast walk 11:  Marathon_03.nxrp   (5858 frames)
100 metres 8:  Marathon_06.nxrp   (11212 frames)
Morning walk 13:  Marathon_26.nxrp   (5563 frames)

So, for example, Fast walk 11 and  Marathon_03 have the same level ID and the checker tries to solve Fast walk 11 with my replay for Marathon_03.

You can simply change the ID of a level in the editor so that each ID is unique again. This way each replay can correctly be connected to its level. :)

I also attached my Mass Replay check. Will soon continue to play on. :)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »
IchoTolot, thanks for the replays !!! ;P You have successfully completed the levels as I originally planned. Well done ! A small clarification however, Morning walk 10 can be achieved with just 3 skills. ;)

Updates :

Similar levels (built with the same tiles) had, for the most part, the same ID. I fixed the problem. Thank you !

I also fixed small issues in a few overly easy levels (and added/removed awkward design elements) :

Morning 1 : Spawn rate increased.
Morning 12 : I recreate this level :laugh:
Morning 15 : Shifting of pickup skills.
Morning 20 : Background changed and disturbing design elements removed (without consequence on the level's achievement).
Morning 24 : Some design elements removed (without consequence on the level's achievement).

Fast walk 17 : Spawn rate increased and one skill changed.

Running 7 : Number of lemmings increased.
Running 11 : Some skills removed.
Running 18 : Backroute (steel added).

100 meters 1 : Some design elements removed (without consequence on the level's achievement).

400 meters 8 : Backroute (steels added).

Bye ! :thumbsup:

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
More replays! ;)

I resolved morning walk and completed marathon. :)

What came to my eyes:

6 11: I really don't see the need for the timer here.
6 19: Why does it need to be ~20 builders to get up there ??? Most of the level is just building a giant bridge. You can cull most builders with some tweaks. It should need at most 5 builders to get up to the action.
6 20: Do not hide buttons, pick-up skills and traps behind terrain, period. :devil:

From the new levels my favorite was 6 10. :thumbsup:

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2020, 09:47:24 AM »
Hi IchoTolot, thank you very much for this feedback !
:thumbsup:

Marathon 11 : Timer deleted ! You're right !
Marathon 12 : (backroute) I change a tile. More lemmings to save. Fewer platformers.
Marathon 18 : (little backroute) Steels added.
Marathon 19 : I understand but I like builders ! :P However, I added a second unlock button and some skills.
Marathon 20 : (little backroute) Steel added.
But... ;) I like the hidden traps since this level is a puzzle to solve. The symbols used in this strange level are Egyptian numbers, and only blocks with a symbol between 20 and 100 (as indicated by the reliquary) contain a key (unlock button) and the blocks on which are drawn the other symbols (animals and objects) must be destroyed in the order indicated by the animations (waves and beetle). The others contain traps… normal, because it’s the curse !!! :evil::devil::scared: I assure you, this is the only level of this kind in my pack ! :laugh:
Marathon 22 : (little backroute) On cloner deleted and two climbers added.

Bye !

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »
More replays. :)

Resolved rank 1+6 and solved rank 2

Comments

2 04: Another unnessesary timer.

2 20: I would make the gaps smaller so that the builder ammount can be brought down. As you might suspect, I am not the biggest fan of builderfests. ;)

My favorites were 2 14 and 2 21. :thumbsup:

6 20:
Nobody knows egyptian numbers and will look those up. You've got 2 most likely scenarios now when people come to this level:

- People will simply play the level in clear physics mode to see the button+trap trigger areas (as I did) and be annoyed with it and in this mode all your custom graphics aren't even shown. Your puzzle is therefore nullified and your custom graphics remain without an effect.
- People will simply skip it as they don't want to deal with hidden stuff.

I would still advice to make the buttons + pick-ups visible, keep the custom graphics around them so that they can still be seen and the level will still play out the same, just without hiding stuff away from the player to mess with them. ;)