Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Cranium (150 levels) [Difficulty: Medium-Extreme]  (Read 18755 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Cranium (150 levels) [Difficulty: Medium-Extreme]
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2024, 09:50:19 AM »
Hi Crane,

I've solved all of the pack. Replays attached and of course feedback :) Crane already knows, but I did an LP of the pack.

LP Link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJsO6bPXihuqAXaQgDr-FtW9. Enjoy! :P

General Feedback

Lemmings Cranium is a level pack by Crane. It consisted mostly of his contest levels and really old levels from the Dos/Lemmix days which I helped convert to up-to-date NL, with some that are completely new and made exclusively for the pack. Although Crane has been a long-time member of the Lemmings Forums and has been in the level making scene for a really long time, until this pack's release, he has never released a full level pack of his own. Now that Lemmings Cranium is out, he finally has, when it was released sometime last year (2023). Before that, he released Lemmings Cranium Preview, which is a teaser of sorts of his upcoming Lemmings Cranium pack which is only one full rank of 30 levels, the Challenge rank, which is the 4th of 5 ranks in the eventual release of the actual pack. I'm very happy that I could be of service to help bring his really old levels up-to-date to modern NL, as well as hunt down old levels of his that he doesn't have anymore and same thing with certain music tracks that you can hear in this pack. I also had the honor of pre-testing some select levels of Crane's before the pack's release. Thus, I congratulate Crane on finally releasing a full level pack of his own many years after releasing several mini Dos level packs which you can find on the Lemmings Level Database. Note that not all of them eventually made it in this pack, but a lot of them are in here!

Lemmings Level Database link to Crane's Dos packs: http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/list?sort=name&filter=garjen

Cute Rank Feedback

The first rank of the pack, it consists mostly of X-of-everythings and a few easy puzzles. The end of the rank does get challenging, but they're still quite tame compared to levels in the later ranks. Much like what L1 does, several of the levels in the rank are easier versions whose repeats will be seen in the later ranks. I guess due to lack of levels Crane made the personal decision to take several of his hard levels and make easier versions of them by providing an X-of-everything skillset, very similar to what RotL does.

Feedback on a Few Levels (click to show/hide)

Curious Rank Feedback

Being the second rank of the pack, the levels here are a tad bit harder than the ones in the previous rank. The levels here are mostly limited skillset ones with one solution, though there are still some with multiple solutions and X-of-everythings, just not as much as there were in the previous rank. Like the Cute rank, the end of Curious does get hard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cunning Rank Feedback

Now the levels really start getting very hard in this rank. It was definitely slower going in my LP with this and the Chaos rank. Still a lot of great levels here and the point where I really started enjoying the pack!

I've already played the Challenge rank when I did my LP of Lemmings Cranium Preview from almost 2 years ago, so if you want to read my feedback for that, you can do so here:

https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5851.msg96087#msg96087

Chaos Rank Feedback

The final rank of the pack, these are pretty much the hardest levels of the pack, with a few breathers here and there. It especially gets quite hard at the end! This culminates into Chaos 28, which seems to be the agreed upon hardest of the pack.

Regarding what to swap Chaos 3 with, so far I can only think of Chaos 14, though that might be too far down the rank. Maybe Chaos 8 is another suitable swap candidate, as it might be somewhat easy as well. Chaos 3 definitely needs to move, though. You don't want players rage quitting that early in the rank, though the pack is certainly not for beginners!

With this, thank you so much for your pack Crane! :thumbsup: Aside from the few levels I raged on in which I blame my sleep deprivation on, I really did enjoy this pack, especially once I got into the Cunning and Chaos ranks. Some were a bit more frustrating than they needed to be when I couldn't figure them out during off-camera time, but most of it was self-inflicted precision and timing heavy solutions I brought onto myself. Though I've already learned most of these tricks I saw in the pack in other packs, I still nevertheless enjoyed seeing them applied in some of your levels.

Hope the feedback is helpful and don't hesitate to ask me for assistance should you require any. I'm here to help if it's needed! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2024, 09:14:02 PM »
Thank you for your feedback kaywhyn.  Your playthrough has been incredibly insightful and I'm glad you enjoyed playing it.  I made some changes and rearrangements and now version 1.06 has been released (see first post for the download link).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2024, 06:23:48 AM »
Okay, version 1.06 contained a critical bug in that Cunning 17 was impossible to complete (at least intentionally) because I was experimenting with something that somehow did not get reverted.  So 1.07 has now been released (see first post), a bit earlier than I had hoped, but it also allowed me to insert the correct version of Curious 17 as well (it was meant to have a backroute patched in 1.06, but had uploaded the unpatched version).

EVERYONE I recommend you download 1.07 as soon as possible because of the glitched Cunning 17 in 1.06