Author Topic: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Medium – Hard]  (Read 29892 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
Re: The Lemmings Have Grown Pack (156 levels) [Difficulty : Easy – Hard]
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2020, 10:06:45 PM »
"Let's play", of course ! I've seen videos like this on Youtube before, but I'm not familiar with this stuff ! It's a geek thing ! ;P But it is a very interesting practice, as much for the one who makes it as for the one who created the levels ! I am curious... ;)

In fact, I'm a fan of the first lemmings. It's like my first love ;P ! Lemmings 2 is still a very cool game, but, in my opinion, there were too many skills ! Too complicated ! :forehead:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 11:01:27 PM »
You might need to do some manual work on these levels:

"Tapis roulant" in the "100 metres" rank. If the change of the fire object to a water object was to allow use of a Swimmer, you'll need to replace it with an actual water object. (If it was purely cosmetic, this level will be fine.)
"Le phare" in the "400 metres" rank. This one used the entrance you moved the trigger point of; you will need to either redo your replay (if suitable) or move / replace the entrance.

All other levels should be fine using the attached version of the pack + styles. Please don't rely on this post as the final copy - download them, look over them yourself, make sure everything really is working as expected (at the minimum run a mass replay check to confirm all levels remain solvable), then release it.

Your styles, including updates to your existing ones, have been added to the NeoLemmix styles collection (in this corrected form), so you only need to ship the levels, not the styles/sounds, in the future. I have included a zip of all your styles (including the new ones that I have moved your additions to other styles into) here, for your own use or for anyone who wants to quickly download all of them at once.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 11:37:59 PM »
Thank you very much namida for this great job !!!! :thumbsup: I will solve the few problems that I notice ! ;)
However, I can't open some levels ("Bonds et rebonds", "La peste verte" etc.) with NeoLemmix Editor :

Error while loading the level. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Do I have to recreate the failed levels or can you do it yourself ? :cute: ???

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:21 AM »
Here ! I made a few small fixes and everything seems to be working fine :
The Lemmings Have Grown (pack)

However, I am unable to open the following levels with NLEditor while they open correctly with NeoLemmix (I don't know why :lem-mindblown::lem-shocked::lem-mindblown::lem-shocked::lem-mindblown:):

Bonds et rebonds
La peste verte
Espace en distorsion
L'Académie des 9
Le lac
Les marches de l'invisible
L'île au trésor
Blue Lagoon
Renaissance
Stalactites
Amor
E-toiles
Le prisonnier d'Alcatraz
Cyber-machin-truc
Jeu de piste morbide
Retour au XVe siecle
Scenario de film d'horreur
Soucoupes violentes

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:56 AM »
I'm working on integrating the new additions into the proxima_persia style, after which davidz_persia shouldn't need to exist separately.

* Entrance and exit have no problems.

* Button and locked exit are okay for now, but the locked exit needs to open to reveal stairs rather than the plain teal rectangle. I can do this, but I won't get to it tonight.

* I like your idea of the floor spike holes being a trap (while the "out" spikes will still be a fire object), but if we're going to make that change, the holes have to become part of the trap graphic; I'm not happy about the idea of just trusting that designers will use the trap together with the terrain holes. Again, I can do this myself but I don't know when I will have time.

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »
Hey David, It would be nice to have custom music for this pack as it would make the pack that much more enjoyable instead of just the default Amiga tunes.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2020, 01:42:47 AM »
In fact, the levels that I can't open on NLEditor are the levels where I have grouped parts together (using the Group button). Apparently, NLEditor does not recognize these kinds of objects. Is there a solution to fix this problem ? ??? :lem-shocked:

Proxima : Thank you for these explanations ! I totally agree with you. Regarding the traps, indeed, the holes should be part of the trap's graphics. I'm sure you can do something awesome ! ;P :thumbsup: (since I love astronomy, I like your nickname very much... and your profile picture !)

Ericderkivots : Yeah, I've thought about it too, but, I admit, I don't know what music to use ! If you have ideas for me, I am (very) interested ... ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2020, 02:08:07 AM »
In fact, the levels that I can't open on NLEditor are the levels where I have grouped parts together (using the Group button). Apparently, NLEditor does not recognize these kinds of objects. Is there a solution to fix this problem ? ???

This is a bug in the editor. I've figured out how to fix it and will upload an update shortly. EDIT: Done, here's the link: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=468
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:13:22 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2020, 02:42:59 AM »
RE: David
 There are alot of packs that have nice custom music. Probably the packs that seems to have good custom music are and I would perhaps look at first and download from are:

1) assorted Gubbins
2) clammings
3) Seblems
4) Sublems
5) Reunion
6) United
7) Pimolems

And if there any levels you think may be nice with classical music you can download the music from

1) Renaissance Lemmings
2) Classical Lemmings
3) And Arty's Artlems

Of course there are other packs too so just look around in the neolemmix levels board and download some of the above packs music or any other packs.

Of course these are all new format packs so it's easy to put your choices into your new formats music folder. Maybe make a subfolder in the music folder and store them in the subfolder. Then use the editor to put your tune choice for each level in the music window of the editor using the subfolder.

Of course these packs are just my first choices to look at. I'm sure other people will have packs maybe to pick from.

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2020, 02:29:58 PM »
Thank you very much namida, you're doing a wonderful job ! Everything is working fine now !!! ;) :thumbsup:

Ericderkovits, thank you for all these suggestions, but ... I don't know where to find all this music (on the forum or elsewhere ?). I already have the music from the namida packs and the renaissance pack. But I get lost in the meanders of the site... :laugh:

Otherwise, I have finished correcting a few small problems (on the levels !) but which are without consequence on the game ! :) I will soon re-propose a download of the complete pack with the musics. But... later ! :crylaugh:

EDIT : It's ok, I found all the music. Thanks ! (you have to tell me "everything" (all the explanations, all links...) so that I don't get lost :XD:)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:46:59 PM by David »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 03:04:45 PM »
"Let's play", of course ! I've seen videos like this on Youtube before, but I'm not familiar with this stuff ! It's a geek thing ! ;P But it is a very interesting practice, as much for the one who makes it as for the one who created the levels ! I am curious... ;)

At least for me, LPing is a lot of fun. I'm glad that I recently got into doing them ;) I will most certainly let you know when I have started playing this pack when I have started the LP and provide you a link, especially since you're the pack author. Anyone is still welcome to watch them :P

In fact, I'm a fan of the first lemmings. It's like my first love ;P ! Lemmings 2 is still a very cool game, but, in my opinion, there were too many skills ! Too complicated ! :forehead:

Same! For Lemmings 2, agree completely. Not only that, a lot of the skills were extremely redundant, since some did the same thing, just had some variation in the effect, like club basher (removes a much larger amount of terrain per stroke) vs the regular basher, or stomper (basically a much faster version of the digger since it removes slightly more terrain per jump) vs digger.

Hey David, It would be nice to have custom music for this pack as it would make the pack that much more enjoyable instead of just the default Amiga tunes.
Thank you very much namida, you're doing a wonderful job ! Everything is working fine now !!! ;) :thumbsup:

Ericderkovits, thank you for all these suggestions, but ... I don't know where to find all this music (on the forum or elsewhere ?). I already have the music from the namida packs and the renaissance pack. But I get lost in the meanders of the site... :laugh:

Otherwise, I have finished correcting a few small problems (on the levels !) but which are without consequence on the game ! :) I will soon re-propose a download of the complete pack with the musics. But... later ! :crylaugh:

EDIT : It's ok, I found all the music. Thanks ! (you have to tell me "everything" (all the explanations, all links...) so that I don't get lost :XD:)

There's absolutely no requirement that a level pack needs to have custom music. Just like David said, there's far more important issues to take care of, namely, fixing levels to make sure they're working as intended in the styles after the tidying up of the styles. Music, and by extension custom music, can always come at a later time. It may affect one's playing experience, but it most certainly won't affect play-ability of the levels/pack, which is much more important in ensuring anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
I will most certainly let you know when I have started playing this pack when I have started the LP and provide you a link

Thanks kaywhyn, that's great ! I will be very happy ! ;P :thumbsup:

So, I fixed two/three levels that had some issues : they were too hard to solve because tiles or objects were not in the right place ! :forehead:

For the music, you're right, I'll see later... It isn't the most important for the moment ;)

Here, the download link for my updated pack : The Lemmings have grown :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
On the forum, I saw the word "backroute" several times. What does that mean, exactly ?
????????????

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:03 PM »
If you haven't already, I suggest editing the first post of the topic to put the new link (instead of the old one), if applicable.

On the forum, I saw the word "backroute" several times. What does that mean, exactly ?
????????????

At the most simple, a "backroute" is a solution to a level, that wasn't intended by the author. Some authors (myself included) will further only consider a solution a backroute, if the solution is much easier and/or avoids certain specific parts of the intended solution (for example, I generally won't consider a solution a backroute if the player has swapped a Builder and a Platformer around but otherwise found the intended solution).

It's really somewhat subjective, and up to level authors to decide but ultimately - if you see someone's solution to your level and think, "they shouldn't be able to do it that way!", it's a "backroute".
My Lemmings projects

Offline David

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2020, 08:04:55 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion ! That's it : I updated the link on the first post ! :P

"Backroute" is a funny neologism ! I understand the meaning of this word very well, and I find it very useful when playing NeoLemmix. I have often found solutions (much) easier than those I had initially imagined when playing my own levels... or sometimes in Lemmings Original ! ;)

Thank you, namida, for this very clear explanation ! :thumbsup: