Author Topic: Menu backgrounds for Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3D?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Menu backgrounds for Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3D?
« on: September 18, 2020, 06:21:40 PM »
For my custom packs Lemmings: Hall of Fame and Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll, which are inspired by Lemmings 2: The Tribes and Lemmings 3D, respectively, I'm using the menu backgrounds from those packs.

However, I had to take them from a google image of a level pre- or post-view screen, and then cut out a small piece of background that wasn't covered by fonts or images. Thus, the best I can currently do is repeating those sections, but you can of course still see the lines between the "puzzle pieces" that form the background.

Does anyone have a larger image of the blank level-selection-menu background for Lemmings 2 and/or Lemmings 3D?

namida, maybe, is that part of your L3D editor? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Menu backgrounds for Lemmings 2 and Lemmings 3D?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:45 PM »
L3DEdit is indeed capable of extracting that graphic. Here you go. :)

I can't help you with L2 though, but maybe someone more familiar with it (kieranmillar, perhaps?) could.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
Thanks a lot, namida! ;) This looks much better now. Even though the graphic is actually smaller in dimensions than the one I've been using so far, there are no lines around the edges. Or at least that's what I assume. Either way, when NeoLemmix automatically places several instances of this graphic next to each other, it seems more or less seamless (except for the occasional "D" of "3D" being cut off here and there).

Now, is there anyone who happens to have access to the (purple) background graphic of the Lemmings 2: The Tribes level selection menu? ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 07:42:21 PM »
when NeoLemmix automatically places several instances of this graphic next to each other, it seems more or less seamless (except for the occasional "D" of "3D" being cut off here and there).

The graphic's width is exactly equal to L3D's menu resolution width; whereas NeoLemmix's is higher. The graphic is only designed to tile vertically.

With that being said, modifying it to tile horizontally shouldn't be hard. Just reduce the width (as in crop, not stretch) until it does.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
I wrote some tools to rip the graphics for L2 long time ago; all the menu/intro graphics are attached.
The level preview background is l2bitmap.zip/frontend/rockwall.png. Hope that serves your purpose (it's only 320x200 and doesn't tile, so larger sizes will be tricky).

EDIT: Some more menu graphics with smaller snippets of the background, in case it's useful. See l2ss_menu.zip
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:20:23 PM by geoo »

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »
Thanks a lot, geoo! ;) I'll check these out ASAP and then report back here.
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »
1) I'm bumping this thread so that I don't forget to try out geoo's L2 backdrops (this kind of fell off the radar over the weekend due to my laptop failure, when migrating everything I could save to a new PC became more urgent).

2) I have another extraction request for namida: ;)
Since it was possible to extract the menu background graphic with L3DEdit, is it also possible to extract the signs from the main menu? ;) I tried getting them from Google, but the size I ended up with was too small and had a too poor resolution. Inside the L3D menu, these things are huge!
I would like to give using them in Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll another shot. The reason I originally discarded them was because the rank sign, with all the menu signs in L3D being square-shaped, was too narrow for the rank labels I had created. But if the entire menu card is larger and the rank label remains the same, it might fit.

3) If you happen to know, namida, what the fonts used in Lemmings 3D (for the level menus as well as for the main-menu signs) are called, that would be helpful to know as well.

Basically, the more I can make this upcoming NeoLemmix pack look like Lemmings 3D, the better! 8-)

Thanks a lot in advance!
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:42:06 PM »
The fonts are very possibly custom ones made just for L3D.

Regarding the other graphics: They're in a format L3DEdit never got proper support for (partly due to that the format is only used for menus, UI or lemming sprites; not for actual level elements). Your best bet would be DOSBox and screenshots for that one. It's possible I may at some point update L3DEdit to add support for this - though I wouldn't hold your breath here, I haven't worked on it in months now, and likely only will do further work if a serious bug is reported (or if I decide to make a second L3D pack).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 07:41:40 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
Well, thanks a lot anyway, namida!

Thanks a lot also to geoo, your background image is already a huge improvement over the one I had cut out from a Google image! :thumbsup:

I'll try out what it looks like if I change its dimensions to that of the standard Lemmings background, or if I prefer the automatic tiling even though one can see the edges.
My packs so far:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 03:02:57 AM »
If information about the format is already known, and it's just a matter of actually doing the conversion, I might be able to help, given the information to work with.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 03:35:03 AM »
If information about the format is already known, and it's just a matter of actually doing the conversion, I might be able to help, given the information to work with.

This post should get you in the right direction: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1590.msg40706#msg40706

Files are RNC compressed. L3DEdit has the ability to uncompress them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 04:58:56 PM »
Another bump to this to ask for a different graphic: Can the "officer / sergeant guy" from the Army tileset be extracted via L3DEdit? As well as the ball-juggling lemming from the Circus tileset (the one that Ryemanni uses as his avatar)?

I'd like to add these two fellas to a custom tileset so that my L3D-inspired NeoLemmix pack "Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll" can look the part a little more. For Circus, there are already two tilesets (L2 and one by the aforementioned Ryemanni), but the Army tileset is particularly hard to recreate without that sergeant guy standing around as a background object somewhere in the level landscape.

I have downloaded L3DEdit, but I can't currently open the level files myself yet. I do still have a CD version of Lemmings 3D, but my new laptop doesn't have a CD drive anymore. I am in the process of ordering an external one today anyways (I just need to make sure it has a Thunderbolt 3 plug, because the number of my USB slots is very limited ^^). But even once I can insert the CD again, that doesn't mean it will work on a very new PC (from 2020). Sure, if it can be installed properly (even if the game itself doesn't run), the level files should be there for the editor to open. But sometimes with these very old games, even the installation process already fails, or fails partly.
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 05:17:22 PM »
There is no reason to need Thunderbolt 3 (at least, directly) for a CD drive, and I doubt such even exists. You might be confusing Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C, which, while Thunderbolt 3 does use a USB-C plug, are not the same thing.

What you need here, if you're out of normal USB ports, is a USB hub. This could either attach to a USB-A or USB-C port (whether or not that USB-C port is Thunderbolt 3 enabled or not), and would provide multiple USB-A ports (the "normal" type) and possibly some additional USB-C ports (you can get really fancy ones that have ethernet, extra HDMIs, etc too - these are often called "docking stations" - but this is not what you need here). That aside, I've got a "almost ready to go, just add DosBox" download of L3D you can use here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4289.0

If you did prefer to stick to the CD, you wouldn't need to "install" it. Just copy/paste the appropriate files to your hard drive (as for technical reasons, it cannot directly decompress the file in memory and instead must decompress it, save the decompressed version, then load that - and there is no code to handle "save the decompressed copy to a different place" when doing this on a read-only medium such as a CD), and then start opening.

I can say for sure that L3DEdit can extract those two graphics, though I don't remember off-hand what file number they were (as L3D names its graphic files with a scheme like "ANIMOBJ.001", "GFX.001" etc - the name represents the type of file, and the extension is an index number; there's no meaningful name). However, you could start by looking through the options in L3DEdit's lists (in the Styles, or whatever it was called, tab) which should point you in the right direction.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »
Wow, thanks a lot, namida! :thumbsup: I didn't know we already had a no-CD version of L3D up here on the forums. :lem-shocked: Usually those always come with big warning signs "remember that this is only legal if you own a full version of the game" etc. Well, in this case of course, I have just confirmed that I do - just like many people nowadays, I'm using CD drives less and less.

So that's one game less for which I need to worry about / attach one, but of course I'm still going to get one for other purposes. ;)

The reason I'm looking for a Thunderbolt one is because the USB-C input is already occupied by my external screen. And also, often these external CD drives are quite power hungry, even taking up two USB slots to get enough of it.

However, yes, attaching a USB hub to the Thunderbolt input first, and then an external CD drive to that hub, that would definitely be an option! ;)
My packs so far:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 06:46:59 PM »
I have never seen an external CD drive that needs two USB ports. O_O I've seen hard drives that do, but not opticals - and even for hard drives I haven't seen it in a long time now.

Thunderbolt 3 ports are "downwards compatible" with regular USB-C, so you could get a USB-C (or USB-A with adapter to USB-C) drive and plug it into your TB3 port and it would work fine.
My Lemmings projects