Author Topic: [DISC][PLAYER] Remove timer on nuke  (Read 4411 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[DISC][PLAYER] Remove timer on nuke
« on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I'm realising - having timers on the nuke really doesn't make any more sense than having them on regular bombers. Even in levels with nuke solutions, it should generally be possible to preserve any replay simply by delaying the nuke assignment by 5 seconds.

And of course - it'd clean up the code a bit.

Is there any good reason not to do this?

(Culling the nuke is not under consideration here. Only culling the timer on it is.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: [DISC][PLAYER] Remove timer on nuke
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »
Although I like (and miss a lot) the timed bombers, I think there is no point in maintaining the timed bombers in the nuke "skill" when that behaviour has been eliminated in regular bombers. In order to keep coherence with the philosophy of NeoLemmix, it should be removed.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
Even in levels with nuke solutions, it should generally be possible to preserve any replay simply by delaying the nuke assignment by 5 seconds.

The replays are not the big problem. The levels are.

I know quite a few levels where the timer on the nuke is essential to the level in combination with the mechanic that one lemmings after the other gets it.

Examples:

Timer needed:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only the fact that one lemming after the other gets nuked is essential:

Basically all other remaining nuke solutions.

The timer is needed in the levels in the first category in the sense that after the nuke button has been pressed the lemmings get assigned the timer chronologically and still walk for the 5 seconds giving them time to still reach the exit. This can be used to let a lemming explode with the nuke, create a gap in the assign chain by letting the next lemmings exit and the initial explosion allows the rest to be saved from the nuke.
So the delay between the first lemming exploding and the last ones is being used.

If NL was a new engine the deceision would be easier. But after so many years I think it's not worth the cost to remove this. You essentially just break a bunch of levels for no real gain other than a slight code clean up. Also, even if I'm usually not a big nostalgia guy, having a count down before the big final firework is classy and neat.

So, I say no here.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »
I think namida's suggestion is not to remove the "assign lemming by lemming" aspect of nuking, only that they explode immediately upon getting bomber instead of after counting down 5 seconds.  So there's still the same delay between the first lemming and the last, but the first lemming explodes (or "oh no") pretty much immediately when nuke is invoked, versus 5 seconds afterwards like today.

It seems like most existing nuke solutions should still work with this change by simply initiating the nuke 5 seconds later.  To be clear it's not 100% equivalent--initiating the nuke also cuts off any yet-to-enter lemmings from entering, and use of cloners on lemmings that are already in countdown is no longer possible.  And possibly a few other details I can't think of right now.  But these sorts of details are not typically used or required in nuke solutions.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »
I think namida's suggestion is not to remove the "assign lemming by lemming" aspect of nuking, only that they explode immediately upon getting bomber instead of after counting down 5 seconds.  So there's still the same delay between the first lemming and the last, but the first lemming explodes (or "oh no") pretty much immediately when nuke is invoked, versus 5 seconds afterwards like today.

It seems like most existing nuke solutions should still work with this change by simply initiating the nuke 5 seconds later.  To be clear it's not 100% equivalent--initiating the nuke also cuts off any yet-to-enter lemmings from entering, and use of cloners on lemmings that are already in countdown is no longer possible.  And possibly a few other details I can't think of right now.  But these sorts of details are not typically used or required in nuke solutions.

I was thinking that was the case as well and that still leaves my concerns and criticisims. Also, it still would break levels with no possible fix for not much gain other than a bit of code clean up.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 07:45:21 PM »
Indeed, I am not suggesting that the lemming by lemming application be removed, only the timer.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
It seems like most existing nuke solutions should still work with this change by simply initiating the nuke 5 seconds later.
[...] And possibly a few other details
[...] these sorts of details are not typically used or required in nuke solutions.

Hard to assess whether "most" is correct; I'm not this deeply in custom content to judge.

At least one more level where undelayed nuke certainly affects solvability:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hard decision.

There is the discrepancy between manually assigned exploders and nuke-exploders.

The nuke is highly special anyway; the nuke has a fool's license to work however it likes, softening the discrepancy. Aesthetically, both the timed and the undelayed nuke sound fine.

It would break a few select levels.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 08:53:48 PM »
One possible alternative to removing the timer is to have a "timer bypass" method of activating it, which makes the first lemming explode "now". This nuke bypass would, in practice, be "rewind 5 seconds, nuke, fast forward 5 seconds", to ensure any physics side-effects are captured correctly.

This would not break any existing physics or replays, but would provide a less chaotic / execution-dependent method of triggering the nuke.

Thoughts?
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 09:07:18 PM »
One possible alternative to removing the timer is to have a "timer bypass" method of activating it, which makes the first lemming explode "now". This nuke bypass would, in practice, be "rewind 5 seconds, nuke, fast forward 5 seconds", to ensure any physics side-effects are captured correctly.

This would not break any existing physics or replays, but would provide a less chaotic / execution-dependent method of triggering the nuke.

Thoughts?

Hm, that's interesting.

The only problem I would see with this, is that maybe in the particular set of nuke levels that rely on that, the gap between the first explosion and the last ones created by the exiting lemmings during those skipped 5 seconds is not as visually clear anymore as the player does not witness the countdown phase.
On the other hand in levels where you have to aim the nuke explosion with lemmings it's a straight upgrade.

I would still vote for this over the cull.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 09:17:35 PM »
The only problem I would see with this, is that maybe in the particular set of nuke levels that rely on that, the gap between the first explosion and the last ones created by the exiting lemmings during those skipped 5 seconds is not as visually clear anymore as the player does not witness the countdown phase.

The first lemming would "ohno" (or directly explode, if in an applicable state) immediately upon triggering this option. All other lemmings would still have part of their countdown remaining - some may not have even started it yet, if there's 86+ lemmings on the level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:33 PM »

Thoughts?

Seems overly complicated for not much gain. Levels requiring nuke are extremely rare. 99% of the time, nuke is just a way of ending the level -- and if you don't want to wait the extra five seconds, the default hotkey layout has a 10-second skip.

Levels using the nuke in a puzzle are even rarer; the majority of nuke levels are just gimmick levels that have nothing to them beyond the novelty of nuking, and it doesn't need to be timed at all precisely to meet the (always extremely low) save requirement.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 09:54:16 PM »
Levels using the nuke in a puzzle are even rarer; the majority of nuke levels are just gimmick levels that have nothing to them beyond the novelty of nuking, and it doesn't need to be timed at all precisely to meet the (always extremely low) save requirement.

I can think of two examples (one of which is only nuke-reliant for the talisman) in my own levels, and at least one other level (other than Simon's detailed example earlier in the topic), where this is not the case.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »

And that is where you are wrong.

The levels that are affected by this cull don't just use it as a novelty. There is actually much more to it other than just pressing the nuke at the right time.

You need a proper setup and often need to execute additional actions during the countdown, while still being not that precise.

It's 100% not just a gimmick there and those levels listed earlier I would put into the category of levels I enjoyed the most out of all levels I played so far (and that's saying something) because of exactly that creativity and usage of nuke mechanics. Also some have a very high save requirement on top of that, let's just say that my affected level you would never ever make out as a nuke level when looking at the save requirement - I tried to disguise it very well. ;)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »
I'm aware there are examples of the puzzle type. "Majority" does not mean "all".

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
I'm aware there are examples of the puzzle type. "Majority" does not mean "all".

I would even argue that the majority is indeed of the puzzle type. I rarely see the non-puzzle type these days while the puzzle type surfaces every now and then.

I see not much gain in the cull and the result would be the removal of quite a few very high quality levels. I would even go as far to put them among the levels I enjoyed the most.

The gain is not worth the cull here, instead we lose quite a bit.

I stand by the no-cull or the suggestion made by namida.