Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.29 released [Editor updated!]  (Read 13916 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NeoLemmix V12.9.X is now obsolete. Please get V12.10.X instead.

It's time to jump into the new version! V12.9.0 is here!

The major new feature this time around is the Jumper skill. That's right, it's finally here in a stable version of NeoLemmix!

That aside, we've got a few fixes to physics bugs - one of these could break replays on levels involving gliders so test your replays! - and the "projection shadow" feature that was intended for V12.8.0 but wasn't finished on time, is now here. Like is already the case with the window size; the window position is now remembered between sessions. Horizontally-flipped force field objects now change their direction physics-wise similar to how one-way arrows do, and the main menu is now a bit more mouse-friendly - try middle- or right-clicking while in it. ;)

Oh and, it was mentioned that it was a bit weird that NeoLemmix ships without any included levels, so every download of NeoLemmix now comes with a completely free copy of Lemmings Redux! (Disclaimer: Lemmings Redux was always free anyway.) For those who are new, Redux is basically a "rebuild" of the official Lemmings games, with the levels collected from the various ports and side games, the filler levels removed, and tweaks made to bring them more in line with the general NeoLemmix community standards; it's an ideal way to re-experience the official games (including some levels from ports you might not have played) while getting a feel for NeoLemmix's style.

The initial editor update was pretty much just to add Jumper support, but V1.22 brings several quality-of-life improvements and bugfixes; with V1.23 and V1.24 being bugfix releases. V1.27 is a more significant update, which finally adds terrain grouping support, as well as autosave, and a couple of other features. (V1.25 was repealed, and V1.26 only ever existed as an experimental.)

As far as custom content goes - custom lemming spritesets will need to add a Jumper sprite; and a replay check should be run on all levels - with particular attention paid to any that use the glider, or locked exits for the Orig / OhNo styles that already existed in older versions. Pack creators, please indicate (in your packs' topics) if your packs have been replay-tested and confirmed solvable in V12.9.

Changelog (V12.8.2 -> V12.9.0) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.0 -> V12.9.1) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.2 -> V12.9.3) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.3 -> V12.9.4) (click to show/hide)

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=436 (permalink to V12.9.4)
Styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=448 (permalink to 2020-10-29)
Editor: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=451 (permalink to V1.29)

You no longer need to download the styles; this is just provided for if you want to quickly grab all of them in one go. You can instead download styles as needed in-game.

If you are upgrading from V12.8.X, please set up in a new folder (you can copy over your Levels and Settings folders). If you are upgrading from V12.9.0 RC builds, you can just extract over the top of it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:57:03 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.0, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
(Reserved)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.1, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 05:04:18 AM »
Ouch, that was quick, but a pretty severe bug popped up relating to levels containing missing objects. Since an update was needed to fix that, I also slipped in a styles.ini fix for some style names that I forgot about with V12.9.0's initial release.

Full download is in the first post, to upgrade from V12.9.0 stable (not V12.8.X or V12.9.0-RC) use the attached zip.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »
and a replay check should be run on any packs that aren't limited to the traditional 8 skills (or in particular - packs that use the Glider).

Not just those. I would recommend to check everything as after my full replay check one "classic" level (seemed to) broke after updating the styles for me:

Lemmings Plus Alpha Decimation 4 "Oh Blast".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better to be save.

Will be working on a United update later today as I know at least 1 level broke there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
and a replay check should be run on any packs that aren't limited to the traditional 8 skills (or in particular - packs that use the Glider).

Not just those. I would recommend to check everything as after my full replay check one "classic" level (seemed to) broke after updating the styles for me:

Lemmings Plus Alpha Decimation 4 "Oh Blast".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better to be save.

Will be working on a United update later today as I know at least 1 level broke there.

Yeah - WillLem made new animations for them, but I didn't realise this would impact physics (I thought they became useable as soon as the exit started opening, not only when it finished doing so). I'd have rejected the modified existing ones had I realised this at the time, but V12.9 (and the associated styles) were already out in the wild by the time I realised this.

I already released an updated version of the level to address this difference, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »
Yeah - WillLem made new animations for them, but I didn't realise this would impact physics (I thought they became useable as soon as the exit started opening, not only when it finished doing so). I'd have rejected the modified existing ones had I realised this at the time, but V12.9 (and the associated styles) were already out in the wild by the time I realised this.

I already released an updated version of the level to address this difference, though.

I thought that locked exits became exitable as soon as the button was triggered - maybe this ought to be the case, so that people's levels aren't broken by the longer animation?

Great to see that these have been included btw! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »

I thought that locked exits became exitable as soon as the button was triggered - maybe this ought to be the case, so that people's levels aren't broken by the longer animation?

Great to see that these have been included btw! :thumbsup:

I thought so too, but it seems that's not the case. I need to look into whether this was an accidental change or a deliberate one, and if the former, when it happened (if it was V12.8 or V12.9 this might justify a hotfix, whereas if it's been around a while it might be preferable to wait for V12.11 which is the next version that should have any physics changes).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:45 AM »
Regarding the new locked exit animations for the official styles - there are no change to the entirely new ones but, three styles already had these - Marble, Crystal, Bubble. The new ones have many more frames, which means a longer duration between the last button being pressed and the lemming being able to exit. As I'm now aware of two levels that have been rendered impossible and thus needed modifications due to this (thus meaning the Lemmings Plus Alpha level isn't just an isolated one-off), and have confirmed that "the unlock animation must finish before lemmings can exit" was already the case rather than a new behaviour introduced by accident; I consider it critical to revert this.

Thus, I have uploaded styles updates (including reuploading the all-styles ZIP) to revert these three locked exits to how they were in V12.8 and prior. There is no change to the new locked exits; it only affects the ones that already existed but were modified. It also doesn't affect Sega's, as that one wasn't modified for V12.9.

DO NOT USE THE MODIFIED ONES. Not even as a new object in a custom style - that's misleading, because two identical-looking objects with very different properites now exist.

The attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from V12.9.0, or from V12.9.1 pre-styles-fix, to V12.9.1 with the styles fix. Alternatively, if you already have V12.9.1, you can update the three affected styles using the Style Manager - there are no other changes in this ZIP compared to V12.9.1's initial release, in particular, the EXE has not changed at all.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:24:48 AM »
V12.9.2 update released; this fixes a Shimmier physics bug, a Jumper-Shimmier shadow bug, and a couple of issues relating to music rotation edge cases.

The attached ZIP can be used to update from any stable V12.9.X release.

EDIT: This ZIP has been updated to also include a "sketches" folder. This does nothing for now, but will become relevant when Editor V1.22 releases.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:31:45 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.22 Released
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:06 AM »
Editor V1.22 released. This brings a few bugfixes, as well as improved background selection, and the long-overdue sketches feature.

Download link is in the original post. The sketches themself are part of the main NeoLemmix download (to retain the "editor is a single EXE" setup), but for those who already have the latest NL version but downloaded it prior to sketches being added, the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder. Note that I am relying on the community to expand the selection of sketches - I'll gladly include worthwhile ones with NL in future updates. (However, you are also free to create your own personal-use-only ones however you see fit.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.23 Released
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
Editor V1.23 released. This is just a bugfix, albeit for a fairly significant bug (the background was being removed from levels upon loading).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.22 Released
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder

Just a quick thought regarding the sketches folder: would it make sense to place into gfx rather than it being in the main NL directory?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder

Just a quick thought regarding the sketches folder: would it make sense to place into gfx rather than it being in the main NL directory?

I've done this so that it's easy to find, for users to be able to add their own ones. This is something I specifically intend to support this on, whereas the gfx folder is more "you aren't really meant to modify this" (overriding it, like a custom pack might do, is another matter).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
I’m experiencing an error in which every time I try to access a level an error message occurs saying “Invalid pointer operation” not sure if this is because of neolemmix or just something else on my computer in general. But this means I can’t play any levels on the new version or even access my own from the editor. I’ll put a pic of the error in post just need to get a screenshot
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:05:57 PM by Shmolem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »
I’m experiencing an error in which every time I try to access a level an error message occurs saying “Invalid pointer operation”

Are the levels in question using a set of sprites that are missing a Jumper sprite? Or - are you using an old "styles" folder which doesn't include the new Jumper sprite?