Author Topic: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.29 released [Editor updated!]  (Read 14041 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
NeoLemmix V12.9.X is now obsolete. Please get V12.10.X instead.

It's time to jump into the new version! V12.9.0 is here!

The major new feature this time around is the Jumper skill. That's right, it's finally here in a stable version of NeoLemmix!

That aside, we've got a few fixes to physics bugs - one of these could break replays on levels involving gliders so test your replays! - and the "projection shadow" feature that was intended for V12.8.0 but wasn't finished on time, is now here. Like is already the case with the window size; the window position is now remembered between sessions. Horizontally-flipped force field objects now change their direction physics-wise similar to how one-way arrows do, and the main menu is now a bit more mouse-friendly - try middle- or right-clicking while in it. ;)

Oh and, it was mentioned that it was a bit weird that NeoLemmix ships without any included levels, so every download of NeoLemmix now comes with a completely free copy of Lemmings Redux! (Disclaimer: Lemmings Redux was always free anyway.) For those who are new, Redux is basically a "rebuild" of the official Lemmings games, with the levels collected from the various ports and side games, the filler levels removed, and tweaks made to bring them more in line with the general NeoLemmix community standards; it's an ideal way to re-experience the official games (including some levels from ports you might not have played) while getting a feel for NeoLemmix's style.

The initial editor update was pretty much just to add Jumper support, but V1.22 brings several quality-of-life improvements and bugfixes; with V1.23 and V1.24 being bugfix releases. V1.27 is a more significant update, which finally adds terrain grouping support, as well as autosave, and a couple of other features. (V1.25 was repealed, and V1.26 only ever existed as an experimental.)

As far as custom content goes - custom lemming spritesets will need to add a Jumper sprite; and a replay check should be run on all levels - with particular attention paid to any that use the glider, or locked exits for the Orig / OhNo styles that already existed in older versions. Pack creators, please indicate (in your packs' topics) if your packs have been replay-tested and confirmed solvable in V12.9.

Changelog (V12.8.2 -> V12.9.0) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.0 -> V12.9.1) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.2 -> V12.9.3) (click to show/hide)

Changelog (V12.9.3 -> V12.9.4) (click to show/hide)

Download: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=436 (permalink to V12.9.4)
Styles: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=448 (permalink to 2020-10-29)
Editor: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=451 (permalink to V1.29)

You no longer need to download the styles; this is just provided for if you want to quickly grab all of them in one go. You can instead download styles as needed in-game.

If you are upgrading from V12.8.X, please set up in a new folder (you can copy over your Levels and Settings folders). If you are upgrading from V12.9.0 RC builds, you can just extract over the top of it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:57:03 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.0, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »
(Reserved)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.1, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 05:04:18 AM »
Ouch, that was quick, but a pretty severe bug popped up relating to levels containing missing objects. Since an update was needed to fix that, I also slipped in a styles.ini fix for some style names that I forgot about with V12.9.0's initial release.

Full download is in the first post, to upgrade from V12.9.0 stable (not V12.8.X or V12.9.0-RC) use the attached zip.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »
and a replay check should be run on any packs that aren't limited to the traditional 8 skills (or in particular - packs that use the Glider).

Not just those. I would recommend to check everything as after my full replay check one "classic" level (seemed to) broke after updating the styles for me:

Lemmings Plus Alpha Decimation 4 "Oh Blast".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better to be save.

Will be working on a United update later today as I know at least 1 level broke there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 11:23:16 AM »
and a replay check should be run on any packs that aren't limited to the traditional 8 skills (or in particular - packs that use the Glider).

Not just those. I would recommend to check everything as after my full replay check one "classic" level (seemed to) broke after updating the styles for me:

Lemmings Plus Alpha Decimation 4 "Oh Blast".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Better to be save.

Will be working on a United update later today as I know at least 1 level broke there.

Yeah - WillLem made new animations for them, but I didn't realise this would impact physics (I thought they became useable as soon as the exit started opening, not only when it finished doing so). I'd have rejected the modified existing ones had I realised this at the time, but V12.9 (and the associated styles) were already out in the wild by the time I realised this.

I already released an updated version of the level to address this difference, though.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »
Yeah - WillLem made new animations for them, but I didn't realise this would impact physics (I thought they became useable as soon as the exit started opening, not only when it finished doing so). I'd have rejected the modified existing ones had I realised this at the time, but V12.9 (and the associated styles) were already out in the wild by the time I realised this.

I already released an updated version of the level to address this difference, though.

I thought that locked exits became exitable as soon as the button was triggered - maybe this ought to be the case, so that people's levels aren't broken by the longer animation?

Great to see that these have been included btw! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »

I thought that locked exits became exitable as soon as the button was triggered - maybe this ought to be the case, so that people's levels aren't broken by the longer animation?

Great to see that these have been included btw! :thumbsup:

I thought so too, but it seems that's not the case. I need to look into whether this was an accidental change or a deliberate one, and if the former, when it happened (if it was V12.8 or V12.9 this might justify a hotfix, whereas if it's been around a while it might be preferable to wait for V12.11 which is the next version that should have any physics changes).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:45 AM »
Regarding the new locked exit animations for the official styles - there are no change to the entirely new ones but, three styles already had these - Marble, Crystal, Bubble. The new ones have many more frames, which means a longer duration between the last button being pressed and the lemming being able to exit. As I'm now aware of two levels that have been rendered impossible and thus needed modifications due to this (thus meaning the Lemmings Plus Alpha level isn't just an isolated one-off), and have confirmed that "the unlock animation must finish before lemmings can exit" was already the case rather than a new behaviour introduced by accident; I consider it critical to revert this.

Thus, I have uploaded styles updates (including reuploading the all-styles ZIP) to revert these three locked exits to how they were in V12.8 and prior. There is no change to the new locked exits; it only affects the ones that already existed but were modified. It also doesn't affect Sega's, as that one wasn't modified for V12.9.

DO NOT USE THE MODIFIED ONES. Not even as a new object in a custom style - that's misleading, because two identical-looking objects with very different properites now exist.

The attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from V12.9.0, or from V12.9.1 pre-styles-fix, to V12.9.1 with the styles fix. Alternatively, if you already have V12.9.1, you can update the three affected styles using the Style Manager - there are no other changes in this ZIP compared to V12.9.1's initial release, in particular, the EXE has not changed at all.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.21 Released
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:24:48 AM »
V12.9.2 update released; this fixes a Shimmier physics bug, a Jumper-Shimmier shadow bug, and a couple of issues relating to music rotation edge cases.

The attached ZIP can be used to update from any stable V12.9.X release.

EDIT: This ZIP has been updated to also include a "sketches" folder. This does nothing for now, but will become relevant when Editor V1.22 releases.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:31:45 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.22 Released
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 03:39:06 AM »
Editor V1.22 released. This brings a few bugfixes, as well as improved background selection, and the long-overdue sketches feature.

Download link is in the original post. The sketches themself are part of the main NeoLemmix download (to retain the "editor is a single EXE" setup), but for those who already have the latest NL version but downloaded it prior to sketches being added, the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder. Note that I am relying on the community to expand the selection of sketches - I'll gladly include worthwhile ones with NL in future updates. (However, you are also free to create your own personal-use-only ones however you see fit.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.23 Released
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
Editor V1.23 released. This is just a bugfix, albeit for a fairly significant bug (the background was being removed from levels upon loading).
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.22 Released
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 07:44:16 PM »
the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder

Just a quick thought regarding the sketches folder: would it make sense to place into gfx rather than it being in the main NL directory?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 07:47:56 PM »
the attached ZIP has the default sketches. Extract to your main NL folder

Just a quick thought regarding the sketches folder: would it make sense to place into gfx rather than it being in the main NL directory?

I've done this so that it's easy to find, for users to be able to add their own ones. This is something I specifically intend to support this on, whereas the gfx folder is more "you aren't really meant to modify this" (overriding it, like a custom pack might do, is another matter).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
I’m experiencing an error in which every time I try to access a level an error message occurs saying “Invalid pointer operation” not sure if this is because of neolemmix or just something else on my computer in general. But this means I can’t play any levels on the new version or even access my own from the editor. I’ll put a pic of the error in post just need to get a screenshot
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:05:57 PM by Shmolem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 11:32:55 PM »
I’m experiencing an error in which every time I try to access a level an error message occurs saying “Invalid pointer operation”

Are the levels in question using a set of sprites that are missing a Jumper sprite? Or - are you using an old "styles" folder which doesn't include the new Jumper sprite?

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:45 PM »
Ohhhhh that’s probably why I’ll get the new styles folder and see if it works

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 12:45:10 AM »
So it worked. But then after I went onto neolemmix and tried some levels to see if the error was still there. I went out of neolemmix then later went back to it but when it tried to use the neolemmix application an error message appeared saying “Not a valid PNG file.” What do you mean not a valid PNG file? Last time I checked, neolemmix isn’t supposed to be an image.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 01:01:51 AM »
It means that a PNG file NeoLemmix is trying to open, is corrupted. Most likely this is a menu graphic from whatever pack was selected last time NL was run, if it's happening immediately upon startup. Do you know which pack this might be? (Your settings INI might be able to help point towards this.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
Actually yes, I do know what pack it would be. I don't think it really matters which one it is but it's one I never really played so I guess I can get rid of it and get it back if I feel like playing it. So I'll get rid of the pack, and then see if the error still occurs.
Edit: I got rid of all the packs I never played and I might get them back at a later date, but the error is still happening. So clearly I haven't gotten rid of the corrupted PNG file yet.
Edit 2: So I think I found the corrupted file. It's in my own in development pack Shmolems. It's a rank graphic specifically so I'll just get rid of it and re-create it later. I find it fun to make graphics for my pack anyway so no trouble. If the error still occurs, I'll look for another corrupted file.
Edit 3: So getting rid of the rank graphic worked! Everything works fine now. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:52:27 AM by Shmolem »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.24 Released
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 01:57:14 AM »
Uploaded editor V1.24.

This fixes some issues relating to the level ID, as well as a bug relating to deleting talismans.

https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=428

(For those of you following Discord - this update does not yet enable piece grouping. That should be coming, now, but it isn't here yet.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.2, Editor V1.25 Released
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 07:55:45 PM »
Editor V1.25 stable released. There are no changes from the experimental V1.25 except that it no longer says "Experimental" in the About popup - no issues arose while it was posted as an experimental, so seems safe to release.

The only change from V1.24 is that piece grouping is now supported. This does not require a new NL version to support it - NL has supported piece grouping for a long time now, there was just never editor support to go with it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.3, Editor V1.25 Released
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:08 AM »
NeoLemmix V12.9.3 released. The only change is that a bug relating to the CursorResize setting is fixed. If you aren't specifically aware that this bug affects you, it probably doesn't, so if you're on V12.9.2 and not affected by this bug, it's purely your choice whether or not you upgrade.

The attached ZIP can be used to updated from any V12.9.X stable release, to V12.9.3.

EDIT: Reuploaded 2020/08/29 to include a Jumper sketch.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:57:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
Due to certain bugs discovered in V1.25, I've put the link for V1.24 back in the original post. (The link for V1.25 is also there but I recommend treating it as an experimental again.)

I have to say - I am very annoyed that after this being available as an experimental for over a month, no one found either of two major bugs that have now come up, and yet they were uncovered within two days of stable release. This leads me to believe that what I interpreted as "no one is having problems with this experimental" was actually "no one has bothered to test this experimental".

Please keep in mind that I am spending less and less time on Lemmings these days because I have other projects I'm trying to work on too. While I do some testing, there's only so much I can catch myself, and this is why experimentals exist - so that the community can assist with testing and help find these bugs. If the community is not willing to help with such testing, then the only alternative is that I stop introducing new features unless they're so simple that they very likely cannot have bugs - and certianly, things like new skills and new object types are out of the question.

I'm not putting any promises on when I'll fix this - if it wasn't important enough to the community for anyone to test it, it isn't important enough for me to make a huge rush to fix either. However, I do strongly advise going back to V1.24 unless you are specifically using V1.25 for the purpose of bug testing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 07:34:17 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
and im quite annoyed that you are making some assumptions there, firstly i hadnt noticed any problems with the version until now because i had never used the erase feature before and didnt even know what it was.  I also had not used the grouping feature as i hadnt seen the benefit of it for me and I dont think i have enough knowledge for testing of experimental things so i never get beta versions.  Secondly i assumed it was a problem with my computer or something i was doing wrong and only reported it as a bug cos Icho suggested I do so.

so i think its a bit impolite to suggest people are not willing to help, maybe its that people, like myself arent sure they can help, i mean look at my bug report I dont even explain it that well

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »
and im quite annoyed that you are making some assumptions there, firstly i hadnt noticed any problems with the version until now because i had never used the erase feature before and didnt even know what it was.  I also had not used the grouping feature as i hadnt seen the benefit of it for me and I dont think i have enough knowledge for testing of experimental things so i never get beta versions.  Secondly i assumed it was a problem with my computer or something i was doing wrong and only reported it as a bug cos Icho suggested I do so.

That's addressed to the community as a whole, not specifically to the person who found the bug or any other individual user.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »

That's addressed to the community as a whole, not specifically to the person who found the bug or any other individual user.

that maybe so but I'm a member of that community which means it is addressed to me as well as everyone else and i felt i had to put across my POV

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »
that maybe so but I'm a member of that community which means it is addressed to me as well as everyone else and i felt i had to put across my POV

You stated earlier that you used the experimental and just missed the bugs as you did not used certain features, so that message is not directed at you - you tested it.

Namida is right right to apell at the community though, as the reason we have the experimental version is that we catch critical bugs like the ones we found before the main release. If nobody tries the experimental it is pointless to create those in the first case.

Personally I just tested the grouping feature of the experimental only in throwaway levels -- no saving and reopening -- and that's why I missed the bugs. So for future experimental versions we should keep an eye on if saving, closing and reloading messes anything up. :)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
im still not totally convinced that the erasing part of the bug is actually bug rather than just me someone would need to try and recreate it to be sure, ditto with not being able to copy and paste between levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
im still not totally convinced that the erasing part of the bug is actually bug rather than just me someone would need to try and recreate it to be sure, ditto with not being able to copy and paste between levels

A "bug" simply means the app is not behaving as it is intended (by the developer) to do so. If I were to decide (as the developer) for example "okay no, I don't want copy/pasting between levels to work, I want it to give an error message instead", then it wouldn't be a bug - because as annoying as the behaviour might be, it's what I've specifically decided I want the editor to do. But no matter how obvious it should be, or how important (or not) it is - if it's an unintended and undesired behaviour, it's a bug.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

A "bug" simply means the app is not behaving as it is intended (by the developer) to do so. If I were to decide (as the developer) for example "okay no, I don't want copy/pasting between levels to work, I want it to give an error message instead", then it wouldn't be a bug - because as annoying as the behaviour might be, it's what I've specifically decided I want the editor to do. But no matter how obvious it should be, or how important (or not) it is - if it's an unintended and undesired behaviour, it's a bug.

ok but maybe its only me having the issue

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 12:42:35 AM »
I haven't done any level editing for quite a while (I needed a break from it after putting Amiga Lemmings together), but I'll make a few levels in 1.25 over the next few days and see if anything else comes up.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2020, 04:15:18 AM »
Editor 1.25 Testing

I made 3 test levels using grouped terrain items, pickup skills, pre-assigned hatches and locked exits/buttons. They were all mixed from the same level and then "Saved As" different versions of that level.

The only thing I noticed is that the pickup skill reverts to "unassigned" if any changes are made to that level after assigning the pickup skill and then saving the level. If the last thing to be done is assign the pickup skill then save, it works just fine.

Everything else seems to work as normal, and copy/paste between levels works OK as well (is there a paste-in-place feature yet or is that something for a future version? Just asking in case it needs to be tested - couldn't seem to find it). I also haven't tested talismans yet...

N.B. I'm happy to upload the test levels I made if it will be of any use, but note that they're not very playable levels as I deliberately used all of the available space and made very large terrain structures in order to test group/ungroup across a large canvas (it's a great feature!)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2020, 12:18:51 PM »
Editor 1.25 Testing

I made 3 test levels using grouped terrain items, pickup skills, pre-assigned hatches and locked exits/buttons. They were all mixed from the same level and then "Saved As" different versions of that level.

The only thing I noticed is that the pickup skill reverts to "unassigned" if any changes are made to that level after assigning the pickup skill and then saving the level. If the last thing to be done is assign the pickup skill then save, it works just fine.

Everything else seems to work as normal, and copy/paste between levels works OK as well (is there a paste-in-place feature yet or is that something for a future version? Just asking in case it needs to be tested - couldn't seem to find it). I also haven't tested talismans yet...

N.B. I'm happy to upload the test levels I made if it will be of any use, but note that they're not very playable levels as I deliberately used all of the available space and made very large terrain structures in order to test group/ungroup across a large canvas (it's a great feature!)

grouping works ok but i still cant copy and past between levels i tried new ones in case it was the original one had somehow become corrupted.

when you tried grouping did you you the erase feature cos this is the problem terrain I have erased and then grouped doesnt stay erased.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
There is no paste-in-place yet.

Okay so in short, the issues appear to be:

Can't copy-paste groups between levels.
Confirmed. It only happens between different instances of the editor. Or in other words: If you copy a group, then create / open a new level in the same editor window, you can paste the group. If you try to paste it in a different editor window, it usually won't work. (There are cases in which it will, but I would suggest not trying to rely on these.)

I know exactly why this is occuring, but it will be a tricky one to fix.

Erase flag on group pieces
To expand on this (mostly as more-specific notes for my own future reference): This is specifically in reference to that if an instance of a group piece is marked as "Erase", the "Erase" flag is cleared when loading (there is no problem when saving). It consistently happens with instances directly in the level; it does not always seem to happen with pieces in groups. At this stage I don't have the faintest clue why this could be happening - the loading code shouldn't even treat the two differently aside from loading the group piece if needed. Most likely a bug relating to doing / not doing that.

EDIT: Confirmed, it was prety much as suspected. Very easy fix.

Pickup skills reverting to unassigned
The skill is saving fine, this is again an issue with loading. Most likely an oversight in the new level loading code. EDIT: Confirmed. The loading code does not even attempt to load the skill, let alone do so correctly. I still need to fix this one, I've just determined the cause so far.

In general, it should be assumed that any bug that could be related to loading, probably is, until that's ruled out - because the code to load levels has been entirely replaced in V1.25. (This in turn was due to needing a better implementation of parsing NeoLemmix text files, in order to properly support the grouping feature. Only level loading uses the new parser; objects etc still use the old one, so similar bugs are not a concern there at this point in time.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 08:54:25 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
awesome you already looking at this, will you be applying individual fixs and updating as you are able to get to them or waiting till you can resolve all of the issues?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 02:17:39 AM »
awesome you already looking at this, will you be applying individual fixs and updating as you are able to get to them or waiting till you can resolve all of the issues?

I will most likely release an update once I've fixed the Erase and Pickup issues, which will likely be in the next day or two.

The copy-paste between editor instances of grouped pieces, is a far more complex matter on a technical level. V1.26 will probably simply fail more tidily (ie: instead of popping up several error messages with technical detail, it will produce a single user-friendly "You cannot currently do this"), with an actual fix coming in V1.27 or later.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.3, Editor rolled back to V1.24
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2020, 09:44:27 PM »
At this point I am formally withdrawing Editor V1.25 and rolling the official stable version back to V1.24.

Please do not use V1.25 for any reason. If you want to use a stable editor version, use V1.24 (download link on first post). If you want to assist with testing, or if grouping is critical to your work (in which case, please take note of the bug and how to avoid it), please use the V1.26 experimentals.

Over the weekend I will look at making a "repair tool" for affected levels - I can confirm they are possible to repair, without damage, having managed to repair one by hand, and it is a process that should be possible to 100% automate.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.3, Editor rolled back to V1.24
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 09:58:24 PM »
Reuploaded NL V12.9.3 (both the upgrade and full downloads) to include a Jumper sketch.

For those who already have V12.9.3 and just need this sketch, I've attached it to this post; put it in the "sketches" folder.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor rolled back to V1.24
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2020, 10:48:19 PM »
I reconsidered my earlier decision to not release a bugfix for the grouped pieces bug until V12.10.0, and have decided to make a V12.9.4 update that includes the fix for this bug. This is mainly because I could see it being quite a while until V12.10.0 actually happens; but a very useful editor update is (aside from further testing) all but ready to go. Rather than artifically disable grouping support in it, I figured it made more sense to just release a player bugfix.

As a bonus, I also included one near-universally-liked aspect of the menu redesign in this update too: It now uses the Amiga Blue font color instead of the DOS color.

Attached ZIP can be used to upgrade from any previous stable V12.9.X build.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.27 released
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 10:45:09 PM »
Editor V1.27 released. Hopefully this works out better than V1.25 did, but it's had a lot more testing so here's hoping.

This brings terrain grouping support, autosave, and a few minor nice features. Download link in first post.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.27 released
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2020, 05:45:26 PM »
Just uploaded some styles updates, thanks to IchoTolot. This fixes some styles that had regressed to pre-V12.7 format. (This is not a problem for 12.9, but will be a problem for 12.10.)

Updated all-styles link on the first page, as well as the individual style downloads via the style manager (or manual links). If you're updating manually, here are the affected styles:
- dex_davinci
- dex_halloween
- flopsy_special (only one object; the rest of this style was fine)
- ichotolot_pieuw_castle
- nin10_misc
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nota_Steve

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.27 released [Styles update 2020/10/28]
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
Hey how's it going? Thank you for all your hard work on this, it's really appreciated. Just a quick question though, I have progressed quite alot through most of the level packs (and finished some) and really don't want to lose the progress again, like I did when I updated from a previous update, however I do want the latest update, is there a way I can do this?

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2020, 01:49:02 PM »
Hello Nota_Steve,

Going from what version to what version did the loss of progress occur?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Nota_Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
I don't recall which one it was, I think it was 12.7 to 12.8, it was a fair few ago though....

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
You should not lose any progress when updating.

Progress is saved in the "settings" folder in the "userdata.nxsv" file, which should not be overwritten when updating. Your hotkeys and general settings are also saved in that folder.

Did you use an entirely new folder for your update? If yes, copy your progress and settings file from the old version over to the new version.

In any case even loosing your progress should not mean much as it really is just a few green marks in the level selection screen and you are still able to access every level you desire regardless.

If you don't have your old "userdata.nxsv" file you could also use the replays of your solutions, if you saved any, and run a mass replay check to get those green marks back.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2020, 02:01:38 PM »
I don't recall which one it was, I think it was 12.7 to 12.8, it was a fair few ago though....

If that's the case, you must had not done the upgrade correctly. I'm guessing you simply extracted the NL.exe file for the newer version into your existing one. Anytime you go from version 12.X to 12.X+1, like from 12.7 to 12.8 as you mentioned or from, say, 12.84 to 12.9, instead of extracting the NL.exe in the same folder as your existing NL directory, you needed to set up the new .exe in a different folder. Then, if you wanted to carry your current progress over to the newer version, all you had to do was copy over your settings/levels folder from the previous version to where you extracted the newer NL version. Similarly, if you're going from say 12.8 to 12.81, it's much easier and you can simply extract the NL.exe on top of your existing one. However, if you ever have doubts, you can always play it safe and make a new folder before extracting the contents of the newer version and then copy over the settings/levels folder.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Nota_Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2020, 02:02:59 PM »
That makes sense, I've been doing it wrong. Thanks for help =]

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2020, 02:07:39 PM »
If that's the case, you must had not done the upgrade correctly. I'm guessing you simply extracted the NL.exe file for the newer version into your existing one. Anytime you go from version 12.X to 12.X+1, like from 12.7 to 12.8 as you mentioned or from, say, 12.84 to 12.9, instead of extracting the NL.exe in the same folder as your existing NL directory, you needed to set up the new .exe in a different folder.

That is not 100% correct. From version to version there are also special upgrades  like "12.84-->12.9" which can simply be extracted in the older versions folder. These are several files though and not only the main exe. I for example, always used the same folder and just upgraded. A new folder and carrying over your levels+setting is totally fine though.

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
If that's the case, you must had not done the upgrade correctly. I'm guessing you simply extracted the NL.exe file for the newer version into your existing one. Anytime you go from version 12.X to 12.X+1, like from 12.7 to 12.8 as you mentioned or from, say, 12.84 to 12.9, instead of extracting the NL.exe in the same folder as your existing NL directory, you needed to set up the new .exe in a different folder.

That is not 100% correct. From version to version there are also special upgrades  like "12.84-->12.9" which can simply be extracted in the older versions folder. These are several files though and not only the main exe. I for example, always used the same folder and just upgraded. A new folder and carrying over your levels+setting is totally fine though.

Thanks for this. Seems like I've been doing unnecessary work on my part. I had a feeling this statement of mine was not entirely correct. I simply couldn't think of examples of 12.X and 12.X+1 where you can just extract in your old NL directory instead of setting up a new one. It's like I said, one can always play it safe and copy over settings/levels folder if one is ever in doubt, i.e, I had always heeded namida's advice in the OP regarding going from 12.X to 12.X+1 :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix V12.9.4, Editor V1.29 released [Editor updated!]
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
Editor V1.29 released. Full changelog in first post - no particular major feature but lots of fixes and minor nice things.

Download link: https://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=451
My Lemmings projects