Poll

What's your thoughts on packs customizing the cursor?

Yes, allow full customization of all elements
1 (20%)
Yes, allow customizing the crosshair / box but not the icons (directional select etc)
1 (20%)
No, allow recoloring but do not allow outright custom graphics
1 (20%)
No, packs should not be able to customize this
0 (0%)
Don't care / Unsure
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Allow packs to customize the cursor graphics  (Read 1166 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
[SUG][PLAYER] Allow packs to customize the cursor graphics
« on: April 21, 2020, 11:50:21 PM »
Pretty self-explanatory. Yay or nay on this, what do people think?

Personally I'm fine with it. I'd be against customizing of clear physics mode graphics, because the whole point of those is to remove graphical clutter and offer a consistent, (as far as practical) free-of-visual-fancy-stuff view of the level's current situation. The cursor is not crucial to this; it's more comparable to the skill bar graphics, which we accept variance in between packs, even if packs that actually customize them are relatively rare.

However, some people have mentioned otherwise on Discord, so I think this is worthy of an actual discussion.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Allow packs to customize the cursor graphics
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:59:46 PM »
The cursor is a fairly personal thing: each player is likely to have their own preferences as to how their cursor looks.

That said, if someone has included a cursor in their level pack that is not to a player's taste, there's nothing stopping the player from simply deleting the custom cursor from the level pack.

Conversely, others may find they prefer the custom cursor that's been included, and end up using it as their default!

So, from that perspective, I'd say generally yes.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:01:00 AM »
I can see a little merit in the idea that a pack with a particular colour theming might want to recolour the cursor to match a custom skill panel. But anything other than recolouring is going too far. The cursor is how the player interacts with the game; it should have a simple, consistent appearance for the same reason as the splat ruler and clear physics graphics.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 03:36:31 AM »
I can see a little merit in the idea that a pack with a particular colour theming might want to recolour the cursor to match a custom skill panel. But anything other than recolouring is going too far. The cursor is how the player interacts with the game; it should have a simple, consistent appearance for the same reason as the splat ruler and clear physics graphics.

^ Just confirming that this (allow recoloring, but don't allow outright custom graphics) is definitely an option that I'm willing to consider too.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:11:03 AM »
Put a poll up. (Just to be clear, nothing will change in this regard in V12.9.0; expect a change, if one is decided on, to come in V12.10.0.)
My Lemmings projects