Author Topic: [SUG] Select lemmings separately from theme  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
[SUG] Select lemmings separately from theme
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
No, I'm not re-opening the rejected suggestion to combine multiple lemming types on one level. But with the recent explosion of variety of lemming (and lemmina) sprites available, it makes no sense to keep this chained to theme selection. Especially because that forces every lemming sprite type to be installed as a separate style.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [SUG] Select lemmings separately from theme
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
Due to the way lemming sprites are tied to themes - and where recoloring is involved, need to be tied to themes as the themes specify how to recolor them - this would be a lot of work to implement.

We still only have four actual spritesets. The rest are all just recolors. Some of these are specifically tied to certain styles (making this a non-issue for those ones), while some recent ones have simply been made in an explosion of "let's do everything we can do, and keep thinking of new ideas, without any serious plan for how they'll be used" - and I'm not particularly inclined to worry about this case, because most of these will likely disappear into oblivion if not added to the styles downloads, or become rarely-if-ever-used clutter in the downloads if they do get added. If a pattern of serious usage emerges (from that topic or otherwise), it might be time to reconsider this.

If any reconsideration does happen, it'll be on the basis of "you still select a theme for the level, and you can optionally select a second theme which overrides the lemming sprites and colors from the first theme". I'll have to figure out exactly how I'll get it to load lemming colors from one and all other colors from another, but at worst that can be done with a hardcoded list of which colors aren't just lemming colors.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Select lemmings separately from theme
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 10:02:43 PM »
I'll likely be adding to the Lara Croft style in due course, so it won't just be the sprites: I'm toying with the idea of making a few Tomb-Raider-themed object & terrain graphics for the style as well; it's a favourite game of mine and it'll be loads of fun to do if I have time. I won't be suggesting that the style gets added to automatic downloads yet at all - more likely to be much later in the year, if ever.

The style is up there in Strato's post if anyone wants to download just the sprites in the meantime and use them in a level or two, but I can assure you that this will be notable by its singularity as far as I'm concerned.

I'm done with custom sprites/tilesets for now: Lemminas was a lot of work in that regard, so I'll likely just be enjoying playing other people's packs and concentrate on learning to make good levels for a while. ;P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:20:55 PM by WillLem »