Poll

If a level designer wishes to hide an object (such as a teleporter or even a pickup) in a backroute instead of blocking the backroute, is this OK? Please read post before voting. Thanks!

Yes, hidden easter eggs in video games are fun!
Yes, as long as it doesn't interfere with normal completion of the level
Yes, but hiding stuff is old hat and so should generally be avoided for that reason
I care not either way
No, I'd say it's generally bad to hide objects, even in backroutes
No, I really don't like it and it would put me off playing levels by that author in the future

Author Topic: Hidden/invisible objects: OK? Or not OK?  (Read 7511 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: Hidden objects in backroutes: OK? Or not OK?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 11:44:29 PM »
Plenty of reasons why I'm wrong so far: anyone agree with what I'm saying?

On a side note: I have no idea what you mean by "picture puzzle" as opposed to just puzzle. It seems to be a somewhat derogatory term.

Have a look at this topic for a more detailed explanation of what I mean by "picture puzzle". It's not intended as a derogatory term at all, just simply a distinction from being a puzzle video game.

I'm sure that for most of the long-timers here, the reason we've stuck around so long and are still enjoying the game is that we love solving puzzles, and the itchy feeling of being stuck followed by the immense satisfaction of seeing a solution fit together; and NeoLemmix satisfies our desire for more of that feeling in a way that few other games can. When we want other feelings (such as the joy of exploring a world), there are other games for that.

There's nothing quite like a "long-timer" for dismissing alternative points of view. ;)

The satisfaction of solving puzzles isn't the only benefit to a game like Lemmings, particularly as it was originally designed.

I guess my "agenda" here, if I have one, is that I don't want to see video game tropes like beating your best time or optimizing a solution or simply being able to manage the mayhem of the original levels to completely disappear from the game. There are ways to keep these elements in there for those that enjoy them. That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 12:04:34 AM by WillLem »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 12:13:02 AM »
Wow, really? I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here: I see way more in NeoLemmix than it just being a puzzle game.

I get it - but somehow there usually only seems to be one person at a time who sees it that way :P . It used to be me a couple of years ago. Now it's you.

NeoLemmix has developed far beyond the original Lemmings in many ways, no doubt about it. However, the game from which it evolved has that explore & discover mentality as well as being a picture-puzzle game.

It would be very sad for it to completely lose that element of gameplay.

I think it already has lost it. Not because it wouldn't be possible to create such levels - as you've demonstrated, you clearly can - but simply because there is no market for such levels.

I get why you're upset about one specific level-design philosophy prevailing. ;) I was as well, and sometimes still am. But the problem is not so much the philosophy itself, and it's prevalence is also just a symptom.

The actual problem is the small size of our community. In games with larger fanbases, there is usually "enough space for everyone to enjoy the game their own way". Say, for example, there are a bunch of different ways and formats to play Magic: The Gathering, and everyone can enjoy a different one. That's because the game has an active player base of several million people - this forum, in contrast, has not even yet cracked 1,000 visitors ever.

Now, this is not meant as "we're this small, sworn-in community who have agreed on these rules, so you must abide by our 'laws'!" ;) , quite the opposite. It simply means that the target audience for any custom lemmings pack is very small already from the getgo. Given how much time and effort it takes to create any level pack, you probably don't want to chase away the few "custom-level customers" :D that are available. And as you acknowledged yourself, this has already started affecting your level design:

I'm having to edit my levels and curb my creative tendencies to suit others' preferences; I'm fine with this because ultimately I do want people to enjoy my packs and I don't want to be seen as an unnecessary troublemaker

While you're of course still free to design your levels in whatever way you please, if you include a lot of unpopular elements, it will simply lead to fewer people playing those levels, and eventually maybe even your packs as a whole - and there aren't even that many people around here to begin with. ;) Look at the view counts the Let's Play videos get, those usually remain under 200 for their entire lifetime.

but it would be good to understand the reasons I'm making such sacrifices.

Sure, I'll happily try outline what I can identify as "reasons" in terms of "rational arguments" that go beyond mere personal taste :) - because if a majority of forum members just say that they have a personal preference for "strict puzzles", that personal taste is hard to argue with.

First of all...

Features are added based mainly on the whims of whoever's programming the game.

Yep, and features were also removed mainly on the whims of whoever was programming the game :P .

Currently, we see namida putting in a lot of effort to add more features to the game in very short time spans, which I greatly applaud! :thumbsup: However, there was also a time when namida wasn't active in the further development of NeoLemmix, and a different user and moderator named Nepster was the "lead developer" of NeoLemmix.

Especially during the time of transitioning from Old Formats to New Formats (text-based), Nepster went on what is now sometimes infamously referred to as the "Culling Frenzy", where he tried to use the opportunity of format transition to get rid of a lot of stuff that the community had barely used or that the majority didn't like. And then, there were also some features he proposed to "cull" even though there wasn't really a reason to.

Therefore, I think it's fair to say that Nepster's personal level design philosophy certainly had at least quite some influence on the early development of New-Formats Neo Lemmix. Meaning, the "strictly-fair puzzles only" mentality, at least in my view, became even stronger after the transition from Old Formats to New Formats. In Old Formats, you still had all kinds of troll features, like manual steel, invisible and fake objects etc. that could potentially be exploited to create unfair levels, even though few people actually did so. New Formats, in contrast, was trying to be "clean and serious", and at that time, to me this equated "no fun allowed!" :P

This was one of the reasons why I "rebelled" and stuck to Old Formats for a while (meaning "I literally created the largest level pack in existence for the 'outdated' version 10.13" :P ), because I simply did not see myself represented in any way by the early New-Formats version, nor by the philosophy it had been created upon.

This was before the introduction of the Shimmier, you need to know - so basically, early New Formats did nothing that late Old Formats couldn't do; in fact, it did less (no Radiation, Slowfreeze, or Anti-Splat Pads). In exchange for a couple more new exclusive tilesets. I always knew I would transition to New Formats at the latest once the Shimmier was introduced. We also got Neutral lemmings, limited-number hatches and exits and many more nice things in the meantime.

But of course, eventually, peer pressure was also a factor, as you are experiencing it now, that made me switch to New Formats for good. ;) And by peer pressure, I don't mean "threats of being ostracized" or similar :D , but simply "fewer people playing my packs". At some point, I was convinced nobody was playing Old-Formats Lemmings World Tour (except for the Groupie rank, which sparked quite some interest, as I had hoped for :D ). People were happily watching Arty play it, because, well's, he's just so entertaining to watch doing that ;) . But I didn't really receive a lot of replays from anyone else until I converted the pack to New Formats, thus incentivising IchoTolot to give it a try.

Eventually, namida took over NeoLemmix development again, and for example brought back the anti-splat pads that Nepster had removed. This was a very welcome and positive move for me, because until then, people had always assured me that anything that had been removed once was unlikely to be brought back ever again.

This anticipation of losing everything that got removed for good was also one of the reasons why many of us fought against the Culling Frenzy as hard as we did. ;) At first, many people were apathetic and indifferent to culls as long as they affected features they had never used themselves (like Slowfreeze, for example). But of course, the more features were supposed to go on the chopping block, the more this piled up, like a snowball effect.

I hope Nepster's inactivity in the forum has nothing to do with the resistance some of us (including myself) presented to him back then, because again, as has been established by other users in this thread as well, this was never about personal attacks - just about not wanting to lose so many of our "toys" at once. ;) And it's a difference whether somebody says "let's put this toy in the closet for a while because nobody is playing with it, and it does more harm than good" (=cull with the option of re-adding it later), vs. "let's throw this toy in the trash compactor forever, and even if some people are currently still playing with it, I don't care."

But enough of that history - I also want to address your current level-design philosophy. And it's probably easiest to do so in comparison to mine in my early days, because, as Proxima has pointed out, some of the arguments you are putting forth now are the same I used back then.

And no, even though I certainly evolved as a player and level designer, I haven't completely discarded the "What was fine in original lemmings should be fine in NeoLemmix" mentality that WillLem holds :P . So I'm by no means his "enemy" here.

And OK, I can live with that viewpoint - but I don't agree. Sometimes hidden objects can be a fun, exciting and novel way to spice up a game; as long they aren't used excessively and they're carefully referred to by the title, or by the level's design.

One general principle that I see coming up again and again when it comes to any type of content creator - be it Lemmings levels, music, videos on YouTube etc. - is the statement: "Make content that you yourself would enjoy to consume."

Now, you might say "Well, duh, the levels I make are precisely the type of content I enjoy, that's why I'm desiging them this way!" ;) But with Lemmings levels, it's a special case because there is a solution to be discovered - a solution that is known to you, the level designer, but unknown to the player.

Hence, enjoying something as a level designer, even when playtesting your own level, is not actually the same thing as enjoying it as a player.

I know you have good old NeoLemmix 1.43 installed, since you've played a bit of my pack "Lemmicks". ;) I suggest you go to the "Levels for v10 or older" subforum and scroll back quite a few pages until you find GigaLems. This is also just for 1.43 (doesn't actually run even in 10.13, the latest Old-Formats version). Meaning, you won't have Clear Physics Mode. But you will have a bunch of hidden traps and other troll design choices, such as the Marble exit being covered by bricks, which you also used yourself on some of your levels.

Just give it a try and see for yourself how you enjoy it when somebody else is doing this to you in a level for which you don't know the solution. ;) And if you do enjoy it in the context of this specific pack, go on to ask yourself what it would look like if more packs were actually designed like this.

Again, not meant to throw shade at GigaLem ;) - this particular pack just happens to be the one that you made famous in that one SEB Lems episode with Arty, in which you mentioned that you managed to make IchoTolot ragequit. :P

Now, obviously, I have created my fair share of "misleading" levels as well. Mostly in my first pack, Paralems.

I think I have outlined in the appropriate thread how your first pack was both better and worse than my first one
: ;)

On the one hand, you managed to create much more challenging puzzles than I did back in the day - many of the levels in Paralems that I consider "bad" now aren't bad because they're unfair; they're simply way too easy for anyone who has been playing NeoLemmix for a while. Because they were designed to be more like original Lemmings, and as Proxima has pointed out, those levels usually gave you far too many skills to be conceptually challenging - the challenge arose from the execution, if at all.

On the other hand, you took the misleading elements, as well as the execution difficulty, to way greater extremes in your first pack than I did.

Basically, Paralems was "misleading" in the sense that it broke with some conventions regarding hidden objects. But it established its own rules to go by instead; it didn't just pull a random surprise to trick the player. Basically, those rules could be summarised as:

- Any animal you see in Paralems is hungry for Lemmings. This is epitomised in the penultimate level, "IT'S FEEDING TIME!" Whether it's a trap to begin with, like the Rock Chameleon, or whether it's actually terrain, like the L2 Highland Nessy, you can be damn sure it's going to eat your lemmings in the context of this pack. Once you know this - and I clearly stated it in the thread where I uploaded the pack - none of these animal traps should be considered "hidden traps" any longer. (I do remember one genuinely hidden trap in the third-to-last level "Dark fate of Atlantis", but I think that was already the worst offender.)
- Most hidden exits had their position implied by flavour and context. For example, there was a Medieval level where the exit was hidden behind the castle gate terrain, then there was a Space level where it was hidden inside the UFO at the opposite end of the level.
- Admittedly, when I used tilesets that featured traps that had been deliberately designed to be difficult to identify as traps - like the Retractable Boulder trap from the Dirt tileset, or the falling leaves from namida's Tree tileset - I didn't go out of my way to make those traps more visible. Because that was usually only possible by making them stick out like a sore thumb (e.g. not connected to any body of terrain at all). I have always put aesthetics over strict game fairness in that regard, and thus, I basically put the blame for these "invisible" traps on the designer of the graphic set, who had created these deliberately hard-to-see traps in the first place.
- There was one troll level towards the end of the pack that was clearly labelled as such. It's called "Trust No 1" and it even has a pre-level-text disclaimer that tells the player that nothing on this level is as it seems. Thus, even this doesn't come out of nowhere.
- Then there's the level "Break My Fall" from the Demented rank in Paralems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In short, I rarely went out of my way to actively trick the player with a "ha, gotcha!" move. ;) Most of the objects hidden in Paralems, and even still in Lemmings World Tour to some extent (hello octopus! :P ) were hidden for aesthetic reasons, not to "subvert player expectations". (I'm deliberately using that term to showcase how you're basically pulling a Last Jedi on the player if you go for too many of those nasty surprises :P ). I established that the player would have to resort to flavour-based common sense ("Animals can eat lemmings.") over just strictly mechanics-based knowledge ("L2 Highland Nessy is always terrain, not a trap.") to beat Paralems.

In contrast, I never employed things like e.g. the brick-covered Marble exit. That caught me completely off-guard the first time I saw it in GigaLems.

In closing, to the newest post you just wrote:

There are ways to keep these elements in there for those that enjoy them. That's all I'm saying.

Going back to the "supply-and-demand" thing I pointed out in the beginning: Eventually, you will find that the problem is not people trying to persuade you to change your level design - they can't force you, and it's not like the moderators delete packs either that don't conform to the established NeoLemmix design philosophy (that was my initial fear when I was new here! :D ).

Instead, once you discover that "those that enjoy those elements" are simply very few in number, within a group that's already small in numbers, you might just decide for yourself that actively putting such elements into your packs might simply not be worth your time and effort. ;)

I remember for example how you told us how much time you spent on placing all the hatches on your level "You have to be kidding me!" exactly right for your intended pixel-precision solution. Isn't it a shame that you put in all of this effort, just for most people who see the level to go "nah, I'll skip that one" at first sight? ;)

Sure, for that you could accuse them of being "lazy" and giving up to easily. But that would be like Disney complaining that Star Wars fans are no longer willing to show up in the same numbers as they used to in order to pay for a product that is only Star Wars in the name by now, but doesn't offer the content they expect under that name. It's like that old "New Coke replacing Coca Cola" story: When you target the NeoLemmix audience, they will expect and go for NeoLemmix-philosophy content, and leave the rest on the table.

Just like they can't force you to change your design philosophy, you ultimately can't force them to play your levels, even though it's obvious to everyone how much effort you put into every single one of them. ;)

TL;DR: I have repeatedly called myself the "libertarian voice" here on the forums, meaning I objected to those few measures I considered "authoritarian" (like features getting culled, or people e.g. locking the thread for level packs in Old Formats so that no new content for Old Formats could be posted - this was quickly reversed after my complaint, though ;) ). Instead I always argued that the "free market of ideas" would solve these issues. And as I predicted, this basically boils down to: You should always be allowed to make unpopular design choices, but it will simply result in fewer people playing your packs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:29:39 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 12:36:25 AM »
The actual problem is the small size of our community.

It's not just that. The real root of the problem is that one game can't be everything. You can't have framestepping and still have execution difficulty. You can't have skill shadows and still have levels that test precision placement. Yes, if the community were larger, then maybe an engine more similar to original Lemmings could exist harmoniously alongside NeoLemmix -- although I don't think that would be likely to happen. Sure, overcoming the challenge of execution difficulty and precision placement is satisfying in its own right; I've never denied that. But there are thousands of other games out there that tickle that urge. Lemmings would be forgotten today if not for its puzzle aspect, because that is what is truly unique about it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 02:04:25 AM »
Hidden objects are rarely, if ever, a good design choice. In a well designed level, in any game that isn't based on dealing with RNG, the player loses because they did something wrong. In NeoLemmix, you fail to solve the level because you didn't solve it correctly. This still applies if you want execution difficulty. Celeste is a game that's all about execution difficulty. In that game, when you die, it's because you messed up and missed a jump or something. Hidden objects take solutions that should have worked and make them fail - so the player can do everything correctly and still fail. That's not really fun. So hidden objects tend to ruin levels.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 02:44:26 AM »
Wow, Strato! Thank you for your post, that was a very good read and has brought me up to speed with some important forum history.

Even before reading this, I was aware of how small the community is and how important it would therefore be to "get with the program", so to speak.

My naturally rebellious tendencies (which have only very rarely done me any good!) are taking a bit of a pummelling at the hands of this community, but that's probably a good thing: on a personal note, it's about time I learned to truly take on board other people's points of view, even if it means compromising my own ideas and creative energies; I am grateful of the opportunity to learn a valuable lesson.

To respond more specifically to some of the things you've said:

Currently, we see namida putting in a lot of effort to add more features to the game in very short time spans, which I greatly applaud!

Agreed: I couldn't be more grateful for Namida's efforts at maintaing NeoLemmix. I originally discovered this community via my playing of Lemmings on SuperLemmini, but have officially become a NeoLemmix convert as a result of the sheer extent of its conveniences, features and the community surrounding it.

Hence, enjoying something as a level designer, even when playtesting your own level, is not actually the same thing as enjoying it as a player.

Indeed; I'm currently really enjoying GeoffLems and Lemmings Plus I, both of which are far more like classic Lemmings, and are far more "fair-puzzles-only" in their interpretation of the game. To be honest, both are easier packs to enjoy than GigaLems or Lemmicks; mainly for the reasons you've pointed out: it's not necessarily fun to play a whole bunch of gimmicky levels made by others.

But... and this is really my point here: full packs of trollish levels get tiresome quite quickly, but the odd level here and there is surely acceptable even amongst the stubbornest proponents of "puzzle-only" mentality... right?

In the same way that gimmicky levels get tiresome, constantly being presented with impenetrable puzzles usually maintains my interest for about 10 levels maximum! I struggled my way through the first rank of Nessy's Lemmings Destination before I realised that these puzzles were simply way beyond my capability. I'll probably come back to this pack at a later date because I like the spirit in which it was created and I think Nessy is a great level designer, but I'll have to steel myself up for it first! I doubt I'll ever get around to Lemmings United or Lemmings Plus Alpha - although it is fun to go in and try out the odd level from these packs, I have neither the mental ability nor the patience to pick my way through such complexity.

Interestingly, and conversely, IchoTolot has only bothered with the most difficult rank of Lemminas, and he smashed it in one sitting and managed to backroute a few of them! :crylaugh:

We all have our strengths, weaknesses and preferences: it's what makes a community so vibrant and interesting.

Namida is very patiently working his way through the whole pack (it would seem) and providing feedback: given his limited time for such things and the fact he's probably endured way more than his share of newcomer packs already, I am grateful for him taking the time to do this and I'm being sure to take on board what he's saying.

On the other hand, you took the misleading elements, as well as the execution difficulty, to way greater extremes in your first pack than I did.... I remember for example how you told us how much time you spent on placing all the hatches on your level "You have to be kidding me!" exactly right for your intended pixel-precision solution. Isn't it a shame that you put in all of this effort, just for most people who see the level to go "nah, I'll skip that one" at first sight? ;)

Yes, to be honest that came as a bit of a downer. I thought people would think it was awesome! Then again, I was very new at that time and still fresh from mainly playing Lemmings on WinLemm and SuperLemmini, neither of which have frameskipping or skill shadows (but they do have assign-whilst-paused and direction select), so I was still used to seeing Lemmings from that point of view.

In contrast, I never employed things like e.g. the brick-covered Marble exit.

Haha yeah, I love that one! I'm using it again in a remix pack I'm working on, but to be honest I'll probably end up removing it even though in the level I'm using it for it actually helps the player with the solution; I just don't want to be accused of misleading again!

You should always be allowed to make unpopular design choices, but it will simply result in fewer people playing your packs.[/b]

I think this is the key point here: whatever philosophy I have, nobody is preventing me from doing whatever I want with my levels, but there is ultimately a strong backlash against anything which could be considered misleading, unfair or trollish... and probably for good reason.

You can't have framestepping and still have execution difficulty. You can't have skill shadows and still have levels that test precision placement. Yes, if the community were larger, then maybe an engine more similar to original Lemmings could exist harmoniously alongside NeoLemmix.

The irony of all this is that when playing, I always have one hand on the mouse and one hand on the keyboard, ready to strike those Hotkeys for frameskipping, splat-height ruler, pause, and now Release Rate min/max jump (a feature I basically requested that has now happened!) - I'm by no means averse to any of these things that make NeoLemmix a great way to enjoy Lemmings!

I think I just don't want the community to forget what the game once was. History and origins are important (we all love a good origin story, right?) and I think it would be so easy to pacify this whole argument by allowing a few custom options - a Classic mode, for example, or a tag on the levelpack's post informing the player that they can expect a few cheeky gimmicks in the pack.

Ultimately: I'm here to create, but I'm also here to learn. I will take these lessons on board, I hope people enjoy my packs, and I'm glad to be a part of the community. That's the bottom line under all of this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:31:21 PM by WillLem »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »
But... and this is really my point here: full packs of trollish levels get tiresome quite quickly, but the odd level here and there is surely acceptable even amongst the stubbornest proponents of "puzzle-only" mentality... right?

Once a pack hits you with a trollish level, the enjoyment of every level in the pack is lessened because of having to be on your guard -- will this level have more hidden/misleading features, or is everything what it seems?

In the same way that gimmicky levels get tiresome, constantly being presented with impenetrable puzzles usually maintains my interest for about 10 levels maximum!

I completely agree (and I think most people here do) that there is a sad lack of easier content, as well as a lack of community effort to organise our content so it's easier for new players to find content at their level. Unfortunately, everyone here is a volunteer and we all have our own projects we are working on, so it's hard to make the step from seeing "this should be done" to actually doing it.

I'm working on an easier pack myself, but no promises about when even a testing version will be ready -- I have a lot of non-Lemmings stuff on my plate at the moment, and right now I feel it may be better to put my pack on hold and make a fresh start once we have the Jumper.

I think it would be so easy to pacify this whole argument by allowing a few custom options - a Classic mode, for example, or a tag on the levelpack's post informing the player that they can expect a few cheeky gimmicks in the pack.

Classic mode: Select the minimalist hotkey layout so you don't have hotkeys for framestepping, pause, directional select and so forth. Then select the compact skill panel so you lose the panel buttons as well.

Tagging your pack: You can already do this! See for example Strato's "Lemmicks", which used an older version of the engine to make new gimmick levels after they had officially been culled. Because the pack is what it is, it has a much smaller audience than packs for up-to-date NL, but we don't complain that it exists.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:59:28 AM by Proxima »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
Tagging your pack: You can already do this! See for example Strato's "Lemmicks", which used an older version of the engine to make new gimmick levels after they had officially been culled. Because the pack is what it is, it has a much smaller audience than packs for up-to-date NL, but we don't complain that it exists.

Thanks for the shoutout, Proxima! :thumbsup: Indeed, WillLem has already played quite a bit of Lemmicks.

I would slightly object to WillLem grouping the pack together with GigaLems, though, because pretty much the only thing the two have in common is the fact that they are for NeoLemmix 1.43 :P .

Lemmicks was designed after Pit Lems, i.e. was already trying to adhere to the strictly-fair puzzle philosophy much more strongly than even Pit Lems. That's why, for example, there are no time limits on any of the levels. And in fact, the goal was to see whether the gimmicks could be used to create fair puzzles in the first place - which is why, instead of the "surprising" ways they had randomly been popping up in people's packs before, I went for this organisation of each gimmick into separate ranks (and only selected the gimmicks I considered puzzle-friendly in the first place).

Lemmicks can be slightly misleading due to the general physics changes that were made in the meantime, like solid level sides and a solid ceiling (Old-Formats NeoLemmix had deadly sides but solid ceilings; only since New Formats are all level edges deadly). I could have made all the sides deadly in Lemmicks, because there actually was a gimmick for that as well, but this looked like the lemmings running into fire traps at the edges, i.e. slightly different than the behaviour we're used to. Therefore, I kept the rules that a player playing a pack in 1.43 would expect, because I considered that "most fair" at the time. It obviously still led to some confusion :D , but the very first rank, Basic, does the best it can do to really hammer home repeatedly that the level sides are solid.

And of course, NeoLemmix 1.43 had no skill shadows or Clear-Physics Mode, but I've deliberately tried not to exploit that (in contrast to the pack GigaLems :P ). I think the most difficult assignment, position-wise, is on the Bedlam level "These stairs of mine". But well, that's on the final rank, and it probably would be much easier to get the position right with skill shadows either. But it's just so nice when you finally see it working out! :thumbsup:

Apart from that though, the only rank that actively tries to be execution-difficult is the Hasty rank - and even that only applies to one half of that rank, featuring the SuperLemming and Frenzy gimmick at once (=increased game speed and no option to pause the game). The other half just has the instant-pickup-skills gimmick active by now, so those are probably some of the fairest puzzles you will encounter. ;)

Therefore, I indeed mainly attribute the smaller audience for Lemmicks to the fact that it's in what can by now be called "Very-Old Formats" ;) . And to all the inconveniences that come with that (no skill shadows, no CPM, no direct level selection from a list, but having to jump through the levels with arrow keys, no Fencer or Shimmier, etc.). In fact, the main reason Flopsy quit this pack was that he simply couldn't record NeoLemmix 1.43 in full-screen mode on his PC.

The pack has certainly been called difficult by many forum members - surprisingly, even the Basic rank, which doesn't actually have any gimmicks at all. :) Yet, this difficulty does indeed seem to refer to the puzzles themselves, or the different rules they are based on - but the important part is that these rules are consistent.

Hence, people call it difficult, but I have yet to hear anyone call the pack unfair. ;) Unless you want to count "Do not fear" (Basic 06), but that was an honest mistake of mine and not at all intended to be that difficult to pull off... :evil:

So perhaps, "Lemmicks, but in New Formats" might be a standard you could try to shoot for with your future packs? ;) Gimmicky where appropriate, difficult, happy to - but consistent in its rules, no nasty surprises. ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 05:05:03 PM »
Once a pack hits you with a trollish level, the enjoyment of every level in the pack is lessened because of having to be on your guard -- will this level have more hidden/misleading features, or is everything what it seems?

Agreed: I'm going to make sure V1.01 of Lemminas is completely fair: no hidden stuff, no invisible teleporters, etc. I'd like that to be my main "fair puzzle" pack, and a nice easy one at that! I'm looking more and more at ways to make easy levels that are still satisfying and interesting; it's quite a challenge, but I'm currently playing through some of the easier ranks on people's packs to see which levels stand out the most and why.

Classic mode: Select the minimalist hotkey layout so you don't have hotkeys for framestepping, pause, directional select and so forth. Then select the compact skill panel so you lose the panel buttons as well.

Haha, interestingly enough I have already tried this: I copied the NL folder, and disabled all hotkeys in that one except for pause, restart and nuke. Also removed the graphics from the "helper" folder. Still have skill shadows though... if there was an easy way to temporarily disable these, that would pretty much be Classic Mode in combination with the other things.

All of this said, I'm only promoting the idea of a Classic Mode as an alternative option; I'd only use it once in a blue moon and to see which packs are playable in this mode for a bit of fun. Otherwise, long live frameskipping and skill shadows!

Lemmicks was designed after Pit Lems, i.e. was already trying to adhere to the strictly-fair puzzle philosophy... I went for this organisation of each gimmick into separate ranks (and only selected the gimmicks I considered puzzle-friendly in the first place).

I like the way it's done - it never feels unfair, and the player always knows what to expect from a level. Some of the levels are very difficult, not because of the gimmicks, but the puzzles themselves are actually sometimes very demanding (by my standards, anyway!) Great pack though, with an enjoyable concept.

So perhaps, "Lemmicks, but in New Formats" might be a standard you could try to shoot for with your future packs? ;) Gimmicky where appropriate, difficult, happy to - but consistent in its rules, no nasty surprises. ;)

This is a really good idea, I might give this a try. As stated, I'm going to make Lemminas totally "fair-puzzle" in its next update, and I have ideas for two upcoming mini-packs, both of which will also be 100% gimmick-free, and nice easy packs as well.

However, Strato: if you'd be up for collaborating on a new-formats Lemmicks sequel which would be clearly labelled as a gimmicks pack, I'd really enjoy that!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 05:35:00 PM by WillLem »