Author Topic: Ideas for new sprites / "tribes" (either just recoloured OR completely reshaped)  (Read 25248 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Would still be good to know whether sprites can be recoloured using a scheme file without having to provide hand-recoloured .pngs for every single file. ;) Or whether it is possible to recolour an athlete's skin using a theme file as well.

I've tested this is well: to recolour sprites from within .scheme, I'm pretty sure the source colours have to match the PNGs for any recolourings to work, which means manual recolouring if you want the lemmings' normal colourings to be different from the default.

The .theme, it seems, is able to recolour athlete's hair and clothes, but not skin. I'd agree that, if there were a way to make this possible, using .theme to create complex spriteset recolourings would certainly be easier and quicker than doing it manually.

However, there is something to be said for getting exactly the results you want by spending fifteen minutes with a decent PNG editor. For example, if I wanted Peter Parker lems with, say, brown hair, pink skin and blue clothes, I'd do this part manually (using a global flood-fill) and then use .scheme to recolour the athlete hair, skin and clothes to red, blue and red respectively for the Spider-Man costume. Since you can also specify shade recolourings from within .scheme, this is a much more versatile and targeted way to get the desired results.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:08:44 AM by WillLem »

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
I know how to do such mass recolourings - I did them in Photoshop for my African lemmings, as well as when I did the L2 Beach sprites as an interim solution before recolouring via scheme files was implemented.

But as I said earlier, having a bunch of new custom styles with individual .png files that are still essentially just recolourings is precisely what we intended to avoid by having recolouring implemented. ;) So I'd rather have all the lemmings in that style look like Spider-Man, as I originally intended anyway, than going back to this, unless it's necessary anyway (which is the case whenever the actual shape of the sprite itself changes, like with X-Mas, Lemminas, or Millas)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
I'm getting an error message "Invalid pointer operation. Falling back to default sprites" when trying to use WillLem's Lara Croft sprites on a custom level (with the experimental editor)... ???

Since the same happens with Lemminas, I guess it's because there's no Jumper sprite yet? ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:20:17 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
I'm getting an error message "Invalid pointer operation. Falling back to default sprites" when trying to use WillLem's Lara Croft sprites on a custom level (with the experimental editor)... ???

Since the same happens with Lemminas, I guess it's because there's no Jumper sprite yet? ;)

That's correct!

Here are the Jumper sprites for willlem_lemminas and willlem_laracroft, including updated scheme files (this should be placed in the {name_of_style}/lemmings folder along with the low-res version of the sprite).

(Note that the scheme file may need updating again after the NL V12.9 stable release).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:22:02 PM by WillLem »

Offline JamesTCat

• View Profile
An idea I just thought up would be entire tribe species called "Mighty Morphin' Lemming Rangers."

(These tribes will be a infinitely more to it than just Zyuranger)

This "Species of Lemming Tribes" (If you wish to call these loads and loads of designs that) will make use of the new running and jumping abilities in the upcoming Manytribe NeoLemmix versions.

These lemmings model themselves after all the tokusatsu heroes and villains of tokusatsu. (though these lemmings ideas of the villains' heineous acts are more akin to that of cartoon pettyness)

Their stunts never faked for they believe that they're expendible as long as they get the clear percentage of their fellow lemmings out in the seemingly never ending challenge.

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
not sure if i can do it but im playing with the following

baywatch lemmings naked from the waist up little red shorts

robocop lemmings little helmets and mostly silver

pink panther easiest to do just different shades of pink

dr who lemmings (im sure these already exist if they do can someone point me to them) trilbys and long scarfs (tom baker) or fez's (matt smith)

a team (ba baracus) chains and  a mohican

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Silly idea: Lemming sprites where the lemmings are actually lemmings.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile

That's a great idea, get on it!

Offline mantha16

• View Profile

That's a great idea, get on it!

would be quite hard to render the fur in that amount of pixels and theyd be hard to distinguish being mostly one colour

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:46:31 PM by mantha16 »

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
We haven't had any new recolourings in a while. So here are the long-announced Naked Lemmings! :D

In order to make athletes distinguishable if they don't wear any clothes either, I consequently could only change the skin tone. ;)

So if you want "diversity" among your lemmings, simply make some of them athletes! :P

The funny part is that there actually is no option "ATHLETE_SKIN" available in the recolouring scheme; but when I changed the colour of the supposed clothes, the face any everything else except the hair changed along with it, exactly as I wanted. I would have expected the lemming to wear black clothes and still have a white head, which would have looked pretty weird. But for some strange reason, in this case fortunately, this was not the case! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:11:04 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Good news - the Lix have finally made their way over to NeoLemmix! ;) They probably fled from all the domestic violence they were experiencing over there, by evil players constantly hitting them with baseball bats... :P

Little did they know that of course, even within NeoLemmix, the Islemic State would still expect them to blow themselves up for the greater good occasionally... :evil:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:10:55 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Here's an update / alternative to the Spider-Man lemmings at last:

In order to distinguish regular lemmings from athletes, I just gave the regular lemmings their green hair back, whereas the athlete's hair is red, as it used to be (see the Glider on the right).

In practice, this looks like a lemming gaining any athlete "super powers" dons his Spider-Man mask so he can start moving around the level parkour! :thumbsup:

In the screenshot, you can see what it looks like when athletes are moving within a crowd. I think they're easy enough to spot.
The side effect of this is that the lemmings on the skill panel have green hair, too, instead of looking like Spider-Man with his head entirely covered - because the lemmings on the skill panel always look like the regular Walkers of a given sprite set (including those skills which are actually athletes in practice).

Simply drop this modified theme file into your strato_lems_spider-man folder to replace the old one if you want to.

If you prefer all the lems to look like Spider-Man all the times (i.e. with no green hair to be seen), including those on the skill panel, leave it as it is. ;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:10:42 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
All sprite sets have been updated to include recolouring data for neutral lemmings and lemming selected, as required for future use.

I will delete all the older attachments from my posts throughout this thread to avoid confusion.

Any style which you see screenshots of up to this divider post right here (date: 29th April 2021) can now be found in the archive "Strato Sprites Collection" in the starting post.
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Quick bump here: Something about recolouring the Lemminas sprites no longer seems to work as it used to:

• WillLem's Lara Croft sprites no longer work for me, but fall back to default sprites. Perhaps that's because they were hand-made as separate sprites (rather than being recoloured Lemminas), and don't have sprites for Slider and Laserer yet?
  • My Lix sprites, which are indeed recoloured Lemminas using the "theme" file, and should therefore have red clothes and blond hair, suddenly look like regular lemminas (pink clothes, blue hair, switching to green clothes when becoming athletes).

@WillLem: Has anything changed about the Lemminas sprites over the last two years? ;)
My packs so far:

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
@WillLem: Has anything changed about the Lemminas sprites over the last two years? ;)

Definitely! :crylaugh:

For one thing, there's a more comprehensive list of spriteset recolouring data. The actual colours and shades themselves are still the same though, so I'm not sure why your Lix set isn't working.

I've attached here the latest NeoLemmix-ready copies of all lemminas styles, including laracroft. Note that three of these (classic, monochrome and slushworld) are recolourings rather than OG sprites, so you might be able to use the theme.nxmi from these to help with your own recolouring sets.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:50:01 PM by WillLem »