Author Topic: lemmix player revisited  (Read 30810 times)

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
Re: lemmix player revisited
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »
Aha.. well it never did, did it? What is supposed to be happening?

I thought it would start the game. The other title screen options (F2 to F4 and Esc) seems to work.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Never ever thought about THAT. Press enter to start :-)
I will add F1 soon.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
I am trying to add a custom level, in order to play it (I am following the instructions provided by you PDF), and I managed to to it correctly. But when something is missing, you are trapped in the black screen that comes after the emerging windows that informs you of it. Any chance to get back to the menu via Esc key? Or maybe terminate the program abruptly?

On another note, I love the flying coloured text in the replays that informs you of the selected task! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:57:47 AM by Ron_Stard »

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2020, 08:26:11 PM »
I noticed that as well. When an error occurs.
The black screen will still be closable with Alt + f4 and I will fix this.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2020, 02:54:52 PM »
I think this is a bug: the program throws me an error when I try to play custom Christmas levels, like the one I've attached (it is composed of random objects). It seems that the traps and the cold water are not drawn, and even are considered bugs. Every other object is ok.

Did I miss something?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:44:27 PM by Ron_Stard »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2020, 04:03:16 PM »
DMA's Holiday tilesets have no traps nor water.

If you load a level with that original DMA tileset, the program is correct to flag traps and waters as errors.

I haven't looked at the file, thus I can't guess how it was created. Maybe people eventually put the Snow tileset's traps and water into a customized Holiday tileset. You'll likely need to know exactly which Holiday tileset the level author had in mind.

-- Simon

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
DMA's Holiday tilesets have no traps nor water.

If you load a level with that original DMA tileset, the program is correct to flag traps and waters as errors.

I haven't looked at the file, thus I can't guess how it was created. Maybe people eventually put the Snow tileset's traps and water into a customized Holiday tileset. You'll likely need to know exactly which Holiday tileset the level author had in mind.

-- Simon

Thank you for the info, I did never notice there was no traps in Holiday Lemmings. I was making a Christmas level by myself, via the old NeoLemmix Editor 1.43, and Vanilla Lemmix throw me that error.

That mentioned editor allowed me to use traps and water and everything else, and at validating the level, everything was fine. I was able to play it in CustLemmix, so I expected Vanilla Lemmix allow me to play it, too.

Instead of my former level, I attached one made with random objects, in order to show that everything but traps and water was ok.

In case you wonder, I am using the old editor and the old players because I've always wanted to make a levelpack with the original 8 skills, and for the original engine, before moving to the new NeoLemmix Editor and its new skills and terrains. Although I'll release the levelpack also for NeoLemmix 12.X.X.

One last question: all things considered, it is not O.K. that the old NeoLemmix editor for Lemmix allow making Xmas levels with traps?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
Even for version 1.43, I think the NeoLemmix editor was still primarily intended for creation of NeoLemmix levels, rather than levels for the original DOS game engine.  It was probably more common to use the editor to open an LVL file originally created for CustLemm or vanilla Lemmix, and then further update level and save it for NeoLemmix in its format.

I'm not sure where exactly NeoLemmix pulls the water and traps from, but like Simon said, the original Holiday tileset did not have those things, and therefore such objects would not work on any engines that are using that original tileset.  This includes CustLemmix, the Lemmix editor, and the DOS games themselves (including CustLemm).  I guess it would still work in NeoLemmix 1.43 due to it (I'm guessing) using a modified version of the tileset or similar.

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 07:06:16 PM »
I can confirm that CustLemmix V29 can load both the LVL individual level and a .DAT file containing it without problems. CustLemm (MS-DOS) gives a preview of the level, but doesn't load it. LemmixPlayerH94 V29 doesn't give a preview nor load the level: instead, throws the error I've attached, asking for ground9o.dat.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 08:01:14 PM »
I can confirm that CustLemmix V29 can load both the LVL individual level and a .DAT file containing it without problems. CustLemm (MS-DOS) gives a preview of the level, but doesn't load it. LemmixPlayerH94 V29 doesn't give a preview nor load the level: instead, throws the error I've attached, asking for ground9o.dat.

IIRC, CustLemmix's version of the Xmas style has the trap / water added to it, just like the NL style (pre-new formats, where style mixing is possible so it's pointless to duplicate) used to.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2020, 10:40:36 PM »
I am trying to add a custom level, in order to play it (I am following the instructions provided by you PDF), and I managed to to it correctly. But when something is missing, you are trapped in the black screen that comes after the emerging windows that informs you of it. Any chance to get back to the menu via Esc key? Or maybe terminate the program abruptly?

I tried to run today the first level I have made  ("Unreachable Heights") , to record it for my youtube channel , and I encounter the same black screen Ron Stard has mentioned ( and unfortunately , I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong )!

Also in the pdf , it mentions that you can setup as game mechanics only as "original" and "oh! no more lemmings" , and you can setup "custlemm" only for graphics. In that case, the replay of the solution for "Unrechable Heights" , which I have made it in "custlemm" physics mode , how it will work ?

If you have a level ( let's say "Unreachable Heights" lvl or dat ) , how exactly you setup the files/folders/configs , so it can work without problems ?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:01:31 PM by Turrican »
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2020, 03:38:40 PM »

I tried to run today the first level I have made  ("Unreachable Heights") , to record it for my youtube channel , and I encounter the same black screen Ron Stard has mentioned ( and unfortunately , I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong )!

Also in the pdf , it mentions that you can setup as game mechanics only as "original" and "oh! no more lemmings" , and you can setup "custlemm" only for graphics. In that case, the replay of the solution for "Unrechable Heights" , which I have made it in "custlemm" physics mode , how it will work ?

If you have a level ( let's say "Unreachable Heights" lvl or dat ) , how exactly you setup the files/folders/configs , so it can work without problems ?

Decompress and put the folder I've attached in Data\Styles. It works for me!

Offline Turrican

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »
It worked!!! Thank you!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ( Both the level and the replay ) !

I also liked the coloured text in the replay , that you have mentioned in one of your previous posts !

So here is "Unreachable Heights" with custom music track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE57OHBFSBo
My Youtube channel ( Turrican Lemm )  :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGFBOHdYITHlsqa203Tu8Q

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
New version available on github https://github.com/ericlangedijk/Lemmix/releases

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
You can assign multiple actions now during pause, which is actually a big cheat.