Author Topic: Speed level design contest  (Read 2503 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Speed level design contest
« on: January 31, 2020, 02:14:46 AM »
Okay, so as a one-off thing (and just for fun - no prizes other than bragging rights) - though it could be done again if successful - here's a new idea.

A speed design contest.

What does this mean? This contest won't be a long-term thing like the normal level design contests. Instead, it'll be more like a live event - we'll arrange a time (to be discussed, so we can find something that suits everyone who's interested) for the contest to take place. You won't have ages to create your level - you'll have one hour to make a level, including playtesting. From there, we have a brief playing phase - this could be a very short thing (an hour or so), or perhaps a couple of days - before voting. The main thing is the need to make your level quickly.

Of course, for this to be fair, (a) the host won't be able to participate (EDIT: to clarify, I won't be able to participate in level creation, I can still participate in level solving), and (b) the rule won't be revealed until the contest starts.

To keep it simple, this would be limited to a single engine. This of course will be NeoLemmix - though if this contest is successful, we can certainly do a Lix version in the future.

Who's interested in this idea? There was some interest when I floated it on Discord, but if we can get an idea of who might like to participate, we can then look at arranging a time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:46:48 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Speed level design contest
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 03:11:30 AM »
I'd be most curious how many people feel they are more likely to participate (or to participate more deeply, such as actually designing levels rather than just playing them) under this speed format vs a more regular one.  While I don't think it'd make me any more likely to participate, I'm at least curious how it'd turn out, enough to at least want to witness this format tried once.  I'm less sure how levels will turn out in practice with the much more compressed timeframe.

I tend to suspect you'll still end up with mostly the same people who'd also participate in the more regular format, maybe even minus a few due to the problem of finding a good time that works for everyone.  I don't have a strong prediction as to whether whatever excitement is added by the time crunch will also be worth the results in terms of the levels people end up designing under it.

So while I'm slightly skeptical of the format (and probably won't participate anyway), if there is enough interest from other people, we should definitely try it out at least once, if nothing else just to get a better feel of whether it's worth trying a second time or not.

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 05:46:11 AM »
Well up for this! :thumbsup:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
I'd be up for this if you allowed Lix alongside NeoLemmix.
We've sometimes done quick multiplayer level designing, so it'd be cool to also try it for single player.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 05:44:03 PM »
I'd be up for this if you allowed Lix alongside NeoLemmix.
We've sometimes done quick multiplayer level designing, so it'd be cool to also try it for single player.

I'm thinking it'd be simpler to keep it to one engine (though if the NL one is successful, there's no reason a Lix one can't happen in the future), but if others don't think this restriction is necessary, I can drop it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 09:27:22 PM »
I'm be interested in taking part. The best time for me would be during the day (12 noon - 6pm GMT), any day is fine. I could be available during the evening or night but I can't guarantee availability on any particular day.

My preference would be to allow both engines, even though these days I am more likely to use NeoLemmix, as the new editor fixes all the problems with the old editor, and I like the original tilesets and music :P

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »
I would allow both NL and Lix.

I don't see a big reason to not allow it.

I would join if I have time. :)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 02:55:44 AM »
I'd be up for this also but chances are I will probably be not available at the time you decide to do it.

Doing it on Sundays increases my availability greatly but don't make it that day on my account ;)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 07:50:26 PM »
That's a very interesting idea but it'd probably give me a heart attack. Not saying no to watching it someone posts a video!

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 12:41:52 PM »
When do we reckon we'll be doing this?