Author Topic: Lemojis!  (Read 8951 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Lemojis!
« on: November 20, 2019, 11:02:12 PM »
Hi site maintainers,

I've designed a few emojis to add to the board if you like them.

All best,

WillLem 8-)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:28:02 AM by WillLem »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Emojis!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 11:12:05 PM »
Hi WillLem, you sure have contributed a lot already WillLem, :thumbsup: it will be interesting seeing the new Emojis, see what Namida thinks of it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 07:11:41 AM »
Yes, several good ones! (forehead) and (cat) are very important to have.

I'll merge them when I find time these weeks. Other admins might have more time.

Critique on (rolling eyes), (excited), and (cute): These are hard to distinguish from some existing smileys, and from each other. I encourage hyperbole, the smiley should have one feature that overwhelms the picture, usually large eyes or large mouth. Can you improve these?

For fair comparison: The existing smileys are much worse, many are impossible to distinguish without squinting. :) ;) >:( :( :o :-\ :'( :D :XD: :laugh: Also lots of redundancy, we need one smiley with surprised googly eyes, not 3. :o :lem-shocked: :lem-mindblown: The reason that we still have 3 is that pepole complain about every healthy purge, and we've have no strong mind to withstand that complaining. Also so many Lix smileys that we all merged without proper weeding. Lots of existing stuff should eventually move to the [more...] link of the post editor.

I've even run database analyses to see what can be cut. The problem is that everything gets used over time, makes outright culls hard. But we certainly must improve here. The post editor is agonizingly slow to load, to present us with confiserie exclusiv, such as the marquee button.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:22:27 AM by Simon »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 05:56:23 PM »
Sounds like you've put far more thought into this than I likely ever have or will - I'll leave it to you to make the call on these, then. I have no objection to adding more if they're useful / good.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »
Any advance with this? :)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:06:40 PM »
Sorry for the delay, it seems like no other admin has interested in doing this, and I'm very rusty on how to make it happen.  But I've finally added them today, you will see them in the 3rd row after the gold/silver/bronze talismans.

If you want to tweak the graphics, just send me updated GIF files with same filenames and I'll upload them to our server to replace the current version of file.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: Lemojis!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 07:27:45 AM »
A couple more lemojis - :shrug: and :geek:

Note: :shrug: is animated; I've also included a static, non-animated version

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »
People are allowed to just make lemojis for the forum without being a mod or like applying to be an artist? I didn't know that, maybe I should have a go at making some.

Anyway this is my feedback on them:

:shrug: - The static version kind of just look like lumps on the side of the lem, but I feel the animated version you can tell what it's supposed to be due to the movement.

:geek: - Because the emojis are normally small and a small icon on the message, the glasses kind of blend into the outline and it looks more like a :lem-shocked: if anything. unfortunatley I'm not really a fan of this one.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 11:37:03 AM »
Designing emoticons is fun, but I've always felt like the Lemmings case is made a lot harder by them not having a mouth... There's only so much you can tell by someone's eyes!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 11:24:55 AM »
People are allowed to just make lemojis for the forum without being a mod or like applying to be an artist?

It's a free forum, you're allowed to do as you wish unless you're in violation of site rules/guidelines. Making lemojis for the site is, as I understand it, just as welcome as creating levels for one of the clone engines.

I didn't know that, maybe I should have a go at making some.

Go ahead!

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. I agree with what you've said about :geek:, the glasses do kind of just blend into the outline. A simple way around this is to change the colour of the frames; I tried a few different colours and settled on orange, see what you think.

As for :shrug:, at this point I'd probably only want the animated version to be included with the regular set, if at all. I agree that the static one is a bit unclear.

Designing emoticons is fun, but I've always felt like the Lemmings case is made a lot harder by them not having a mouth... There's only so much you can tell by someone's eyes!

Therein lies the challenge! There are many ways to push the limits of the format to make them more expressive:

Something as simple as adding two spots of colour to the cheeks for Embarrassed :-[ and Cute :cute: is enough to convey their meaning fairly well
Huh? ??? adds a question mark to convey confusion and/or inquisitiveness
Crylaugh :crylaugh: adds teardrops to the regular Laugh lemoji :D, presenting a more expressive laugh
Forehead slap :forehead: adds a hand to the forehead to show exasperation, frustration, embarrassment, sarcasm, etc - the facepalm has always been a very versatile emoji
Lemcat :lemcat: blends feline features into the regular lemming face - this one's inspired by the cat face emoji
Sleep :sleep: adds zzz's, of course

Most of these additions are based on regular emojis that can be found on various platforms, so most people are likely to be familiar with them and get what's going on.

The challenge for the designer is to continue to play around with the format to see what's possible.

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 05:58:54 PM »
People are allowed to just make lemojis for the forum without being a mod or like applying to be an artist?

It's a free forum, you're allowed to do as you wish unless you're in violation of site rules/guidelines. Making lemojis for the site is, as I understand it, just as welcome as creating levels for one of the clone engines.

Where I was thinking was though, if you make a lemmings engine that's entirely by yourself. But someone has to upload the emojis to the site. Though in your example if someone made an engine for Lemmings and it got enough support it might had a board made about it so I see your point.

Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback. I agree with what you've said about :geek:, the glasses do kind of just blend into the outline. A simple way around this is to change the colour of the frames; I tried a few different colours and settled on orange, see what you think.

Np! And my new feedback is the orange glasses don't really fit the geek emoji imo. You don't commonly see orange glasses irl and it looks more like just an acssesory. I do prefer it to the first one though.

As for :shrug:, at this point I'd probably only want the animated version to be included with the regular set, if at all. I agree that the static one is a bit unclear.

and yeah, I'd be fine with :shrug: being added if it was animated.

also sorry if the quotes look mucked up I think I did it wrong
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 10:09:11 PM by Silken Healer »

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2024, 05:54:49 AM »
Is there any updates on whether :shrug: and :geek: will ever be added?