Author Topic: Solved: Allow PMs to be viewed as a single thread  (Read 424 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Solved: Allow PMs to be viewed as a single thread
« on: February 26, 2024, 12:15:35 PM »
Maybe there’s already a way to do this?

When messaging the same person, particularly if there is a back and forth, all of the messages appear as separate entities and must be viewed by switching from Inbox view to Sent view.

By the time a considerable back and forth has been established, this can amount to many messages and can quickly become confusing, particularly if speaking to multiple people at once.

If all messages to a single person are grouped into a single thread, this would help greatly with following a conversation and also would help keep the message boxes tidy.

Happy to help with this if necessary.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:07:15 AM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG] Allow PMs to be viewed as a single thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »
I second this. Im even surprised no one or myself pointed this out sooner.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2024, 07:07:45 PM »
Maybe there’s already a way to do this?

When messaging the same person, particularly if there is a back and forth, all of the messages appear as separate entities and must be viewed by switching from Inbox view to Sent view.

By the time a considerable back and forth has been established, this can amount to many messages and can quickly become confusing, particularly if speaking to multiple people at once.

If all messages to a single person are grouped into a single thread, this would help greatly with following a conversation and also would help keep the message boxes tidy.

Happy to help with this if necessary.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your suggestion, doesn't changing the setting for displaying personal messages in your forum profile to "as a conversation" achieve what you want? I think the default is "at once," but when I changed it to "as a conversation" it seems to achieve what you want. For example, I clicked on any PM that starts with a "Re" and there all the PM replies I had with the other person are all displayed together ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 01:51:47 AM »
doesn't changing the setting for displaying personal messages in your forum profile to "as a conversation" achieve what you want? I think the default is "at once," but when I changed it to "as a conversation" it seems to achieve what you want.

Brilliant! Thanks kaywhyn, this solves it :thumbsup:

This topic can be closed as resolved unless anyone else wants to add anything.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Solved: Allow PMs to be viewed as a single thread
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 08:17:01 AM »
Theoretically, one can file this as a GUI bug against Simple Machine Forums if it's still in their most recent release (2.1.4; we're on 2.0.18):
  • Rename "All at once" to "By date of receipt", and change the 3-element drop-down into 3 radio buttons.
  • Always save outgoing messages, to make the view (as conversation) work at all. Remove the checkbox to save outgoing during message composition. Remove the checkbox (in user options) that default-checks that first checkbox during composition.
  • Possibly make the conversation view the default; reason: people expect this nowadays, and didn't expect it 15-20 years ago.
-- Simon

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Solved: Allow PMs to be viewed as a single thread
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 10:08:23 PM »
Also never even knew about these options despite being on this forum for 10+ years now. Guess it never was really *that* big of a problem for me to think to look around for more options.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain