Author Topic: [DISC.][PLAYER] Appearance of neutral lemmings  (Read 5387 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISC.][PLAYER] Appearance of neutral lemmings
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2019, 11:02:11 PM »
how about if they were [same color as regular lemmings but] translucent?
(dimmed so background can slightly be seen through them). Though I doubt this is currently possible with how the game handles graphics(?)

This (or some method like this) would negate the whole issue of dealing with custom lemming sprites.
I also like the idea of them being same colors as the sprites of said style but just darker.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
That is 100% possible, if a bit CPU intensive, from a technical point of view. I don't know how well it would work in practice though.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
One more proposal.  Maybe a little ugly, but just like lemmings used to have the bomber countdown displayed overhead (back when they aren't instant), perhaps neutrals could simply look completely identical to regular lemmings, but permanently have an "n" displayed overhead where we would've used to display the bomber countdown.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2019, 09:23:19 PM »
how about if they were [same color as regular lemmings but] translucent?
(dimmed so background can slightly be seen through them). Though I doubt this is currently possible with how the game handles graphics(?)

This (or some method like this) would negate the whole issue of dealing with custom lemming sprites.
I also like the idea of them being same colors as the sprites of said style but just darker.

just to be clear the last sentence was intended as another alternate suggestion; not translucent but darker (same colors just darker). Although it occurs to me this might look very (too) similar to zombies...
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 01:24:27 AM »
I finally took a look at Crane's proposal in action - I quite like it to be honest. It's pretty much the clothes greyscaled, but the lemming otherwise appearing as normal. Only one color to worry about, that's good.

Yeah, I prefer this over my original color scheme. Unless there's strong objections or a competing proposal that's either similarly effective or really popular, I think I'll use Crane's proposal going forward. I might tweak the exact color a bit - I'll look at this closer another time - but the general idea, and the rough color, I mean.

EDIT: Integrated in commit b89aed4, and will be included in the next RC build update. Note that this doesn't mean the subject is closed yet - further discussion is still open and it may change again before the stable release.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 01:31:58 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
I'm definitely in favour of grey neutrals

The original proposal (ie: entire lemming is grey, different shades for different parts of the lemming) or Crane's (ie: lemming's clothes are grey, but hair etc remain normal color)?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 08:56:56 PM »
I'd prefer grey clothes, normal hair, where "normal" means "like a regular lemming of that type would have it". So an athlete has just blue hair and grey clothes, like in the example shown on the page before.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
The original proposal (ie: entire lemming is grey, different shades for different parts of the lemming) or Crane's (ie: lemming's clothes are grey, but hair etc remain normal color)?

I'd prefer them to only have grey dungarees, grey skin evokes associations with zombies or such for me.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 05:38:25 AM »
So, looks like Crane's proposal (with the aforementioned minor tweaks) is the way going forward. I've checked that this looks okay for all L2 / L3 styles.
My Lemmings projects