Author Topic: NeoLemmix 24-bit/Hi-Res Graphics & Sprites  (Read 23256 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NeoLemmix 24-bit/Hi-Res Graphics & Sprites
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »
Here's how the existing xmas Disarmer sprite (with the PNG file having a green hat and vest) ends up looking in-game with the recoloring bug fixed, due to the fact that a Disarmer always has athlete coloring. Not bad, I reckon.

I did have to make a few further touchups to the exact shades used, as well as a slight tweak to scheme.nxmi to properly recolor the dark green. No point attaching these though as the existing experimental for high-res has the recoloring bug - instead, we'll look at any further touchups (perhaps with some feedback from the general userbase) once the RC build is out.

Regarding the new low-res Xmas sprites - do you think you could adjust the Platformer and Stacker to look more like their non-Xmas equivalents too, specifically in terms of pose / movement? See: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4566.0
(This is NOT a problem unique to your new sprites; the existing low-res Xmas sprites have this issue too.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 06:58:24 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
Here's how the existing xmas Disarmer sprite (with the PNG file having a green hat and vest) ends up looking in-game with the recoloring bug fixed, due to the fact that a Disarmer always has athlete coloring. Not bad, I reckon.

Agreed! This looks great - very Christmassy. I see what you mean now, this is perfect.

Regarding the new low-res Xmas sprites - do you think you could adjust the Platformer and Stacker to look more like their non-Xmas equivalents too, specifically in terms of pose / movement? See: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4566.0
(This is NOT a problem unique to your new sprites; the existing low-res Xmas sprites have this issue too.)

My versions were basically the existing low-res ones but with added white trim. I've now recoloured the default non-Xmas low-res sprites for these skills - I've not tested them in-game but they should be fine as they're exactly the same as the existing default sprites, they've just been recoloured X-mas style.

I've also attached the amended HR miner & glider sprites - I've matched these up to the correct positions now so these should be fine.

Finally, I've included a hi-res version of your new digger sprite. I made the same basic adjustments to the original that you made in order to create the new single-sided motion, including the outer arm throwing the dirt across the Lemming's body to the opposite side - I think this as elegant solution and looks pretty good.

Let me know your thoughts, I'm free this evening to make any additional changes and I'll be on the forum. :lemcat:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »
Low-res platfomer / stacker look mostly good to me. The only thing that doesn't is the green pixel in the low-res platformer at the front of the hat; I think that should stay in one place, or at least not be as bouncy.

High-res glider and miner are great now!

5th frame in the high-res digger animation doesn't fit well - try it in-game using the high-res experimental and you'll see what I mean. Basically, it looks like the lemming's left arm* (or right arm, in the left-facing animation) suddenly jumps to a different position for one frame. Also, the positioning in the PNG is slightly off, and the destruction particles should be RGB 255, 0, 255 (they'll then be recolored by NeoLemmix during gameplay to the appropriate color for the style). These things aside, looks good!

* from the lemming's point of view, not the player's

I've attached a version that fixes the positioning and the particle color, but it doesn't fix the 5th frame - that's something that you'll do a much better job of than I could.

We also need Xmas versions of both resolutions - and then I think that's the high-res / directional sprites finished (pending feedback during the RC phase, of course).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »
Low-res platfomer / stacker look mostly good to me. The only thing that doesn't is the green pixel in the low-res platformer at the front of the hat; I think that should stay in one place, or at least not be as bouncy.

Haha! :crylaugh: I've sorted this out now, should be better.

5th frame in the high-res digger animation doesn't fit well - try it in-game using the high-res experimental and you'll see what I mean.

Sorted this out, looks a lot better.

We also need Xmas versions of both resolutions - and then I think that's the high-res / directional sprites finished (pending feedback during the RC phase, of course).

Done and done. And I've done the xmas blocker with 90 degree head turn as well! ;P

All attached, let me know if there's anything else but I think that's it, sprite-wise. 8-)

What's happening with regards to terrain/objects? Are you using the magic upscaler for these?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2020, 12:39:38 AM »
I made some slight tweaks (positioning / the exact shades of red) to both resolution xmas diggers and the high-resolution xmas blocker. Here's the modified versions.

I think this is all - these should be good to go now!

In terms of high-res graphics for normal styles - the upscaler does a pretty good job, so I'm in no particular rush to get these done. However, Nessy will be in charge of collecting / selecting submissions for this, we'll go into more detail about this once the RC build is out.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »
I made some slight tweaks (positioning / the exact shades of red) to both resolution xmas diggers and the high-resolution xmas blocker. Here's the modified versions.

I think this is all - these should be good to go now!

8-) :thumbsup:

In terms of high-res graphics for normal styles - the upscaler does a pretty good job, so I'm in no particular rush to get these done.

I would agree that the upscaler is the way to go. I particularly like the look of it, it gives everything a nice squishy texture and visual warmth. It would also obviously save a lot of editing work, and existing custom lo-res graphics sets wouldn't have to be updated. There seems to be a lot of benefits to doing it this way... :)

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
I only just now played the game in high resolution. It looks amazing. Great work! :thumbsup:
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 11:43:57 PM »
I only just now played the game in high resolution. It looks amazing. Great work! :thumbsup:

Thank you! :lemcat: (taking credit for the sprites here, Namida obviously did all the actual work as far as 12.8 is concerned!)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2020, 03:47:00 AM »
Don't underestimate how huge a task the sprites are. Of course coding is a significant task too, but I can guarantee that sprites would not have happened (they'd have just been upscaler-based placeholders at best) if it was left to me alone.
My Lemmings projects

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2020, 04:03:27 AM »
:lemcat: