Lix > Lix Main

Panel icons (Quicksave shouldn't be floppy disk)

(1/3) > >>

nin10doadict:
Split off Level solving contest #2,
split off Autosave replays: Run to end?

--- Quote from: Minim on January 09, 2019, 09:54:19 PM ---I thought the F3 button was a "save replay" button. That icon that looks like a save button has deceived me. :-[

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Simon ---I apologize for the lousy UI and how it caused you to lose the solution. :lix-trouble:

Bad icon for quicksave: I've even noticed the problematic icon (disk) last year and filed an issue: #293 Savestate icon, don't use floppy disk (means: write file). But I've never thought that it's so terribly misleading that it produces data loss. I merely assumed people would be confused what would be saved, and thus avoid clicking the disk. But your story is 100 % plausible, the replay is obviously the prime candidate for a file to be saved to disk.

Makes the issue more urgent than mere cosmetics. I should redesign the icon soon. What icons make sense for quicksave and quickload?
--- End quote ---

On the topic of save/load icons, the ones used in The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions immediately come to mind.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think they are pretty clear about what they do, even without the text.

--- Quote from: Simon ---Quicksaving is more like bookmarking than saving. Bookmark or camera may be better icons? Website bookmark icon is sometimes a 5-pronged star? Very hard to convey that we don't write a file. We cache the replay and position in RAM.
--- End quote ---

Minim:
Just throwing in a quick suggestion: I think only the icons need to be changed: Instead of a floppy disk and folder, How about a camera icon for the Save state and something like a film frame for a Load state respectively?

Proxima:
That doesn't really tell the user what the buttons do. I would guess that a camera icon means "save a screenshot".

Simon:
Yeah, camera looks like (save screenshot) much more than (remember game position).

Maybe a flag on a pole? Flags mark something, but they don't do anything else with it.

-- Simon

Simon:
Another possible fix that reworks the entire UI: Replace quicksave and quickload with a button that opens the replay editor*. And that menu can get the less-commonly used quicksave and quickload.

*) The replay editor doesn't exist yet. I envision something like NL's ingame menu that deletes skills in the middle of a replay but keeps the remainder of the replay. But I envision it even more powerful than that. :lix-evil: It should also be able to move existing assignments forward and backward, while keeping everything else.

Design history: Quicksave and quickload came first, and only then came framestepping backwards. Framestepping backwards is far more useful, and I've merely kept quicksave/load because it's still occasionally useful.

-- Simon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version