Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United [Difficulty: Hard-Extreme]  (Read 70717 times)

Offline 607

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings United
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 08:18:30 PM »
Looks very nice, and I like that it is 607 kB. :D

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
V 2.8 is out!

The following levels have received a backroute fix:

- 4 37 (removed some steel + slight terrain changes)
- 4 39 (removed the stoner pick-up - so -1 stoner, +1 stacker, +1 platformer, +2 bashers, +1 save requirement)
- 4 40 (added a 3 minute timer, added some steel)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »
On a side note - the [NeoLemmix] tag in the title isn't really needed, given that all packs on this board should be NeoLemmix. ;)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
On a side note - the [NeoLemmix] tag in the title isn't really needed, given that all packs on this board should be NeoLemmix. ;)

You are right there, I am still used to it though and think it looks neat. ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
Finally got around to playing some of this. :D

I've completed the first rank, except for the final level of it. Attached are my replays (including my best attempt so far at 0141). No hints yet, please - I want to try a bit more first.

I felt that the X-of-everything levels (and a couple of other meant-to-be-simple ones) were more long and tedious than they needed to be, with many such levels taking over 10 minutes in-game time. However, once I got past those and into the puzzles, I really enjoyed this pack so far! I also find - though this isn't really your fault - that the traps in some graphic sets are almost inherently hidden traps, in particular the BeastII tileset's weasel(?) trap. The Biolab set also could perhaps use some darkening on the background; it's very easy to mistake terrain for background in some cases.

There are a couple of replays here that I think might be backroutes.

Some feedback on individual levels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:27:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 03:49:56 PM »
V 2.9 is out!

Based on namida's feedback the following changes for rank 1 were made:

Level swap:

- 1 33 <--> 1 38

Backroute fixes:

- 1 26 (locked the RR, - 1 platformer, 1 pick-up skill removed, some steel added)
- 1 29 (some steel added)

Comments on namida's comments:

I felt that the X-of-everything levels (and a couple of other meant-to-be-simple ones) were more long and tedious than they needed to be, with many such levels taking over 10 minutes in-game time. However, once I got past those and into the puzzles, I really enjoyed this pack so far! I also find - though this isn't really your fault - that the traps in some graphic sets are almost inherently hidden traps, in particular the BeastII tileset's weasel(?) trap. The Biolab set also could perhaps use some darkening on the background; it's very easy to mistake terrain for background in some cases.

The bunch of very long levels in the earlier stages of the pack are indeed made a bit tedious by design I must admit. They can easily be shorter no discussion and convincing needed there! They are not meant to be very great, but there is another reason why they are made this way.
I plan to teach routine and endurance here, as I think this one of the first major things a new player desperatly needs.
Just assign skills and get through these levels moderately efficient, use a lot of skills, gain more of a feeling for the abilities. This routine and the endurance to tackle long tasks I see as very critical things a player needs to increase their skill level. It's not just learning tricks!
This routine for example enables the ability to see the more hidden usages of tricks and simple assignments and is the first step of seeing solution patterns.
I also rather have a few long X-of-everything levels than a ton like the old game here. I still see them very nessesary, because of my own experiences on how I learned Lemmings. I learned so much in terms of basic skills by simply getting through larger landscapes with a bunch of skills in the beginning of playing custom levels.
Also this prepares for longer tasks in the future by developing the nessesary endurance.

I still tried to keep them to a reasonable number though and tried to find a balance between these long tasks and short puzzles in this first rank.

But I could write whole topics here and I think everyone has their own philosophy to teach things in the end.

Now to the more level related:

And I must say this loud:
I smiled so much over your 1 41 attempt!! It's just like I walked into a time machine and watched your Reunion 1 41 attempt again for the first time! Some things never change! :laugh:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »
I smiled so much over your 1 41 attempt!! It's just like I walked into a time machine and watched your Reunion 1 41 attempt again for the first time! Some things never change! :laugh:

I forget what exactly went on there beyond "I backrouted it with a solution much more complicated than it needed to be" (and let's wait until I've solved it to clarify that any further, or at least spoiler tag it), but one thing has definitely changed: You successfully managed to prevent what I was trying this time. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
Here's my re-solves of 0126 and 0129. (Haven't looked at 0141 again yet.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 09:02:30 PM »
Here's my re-solves of 0126 and 0129. (Haven't looked at 0141 again yet.)

Exactly intended! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 10:19:26 AM »
Aaand, 0141 solved. Not sure if this is intended; a couple of the skills had to be very precise.

My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »
Exactly intended! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2019, 05:29:24 AM »
Completed the first 10 20 levels of Neutrality. Holy shit, this is a HUGE step up in difficulty from the first rank - at least at first; I felt the difficulty dropped a bit as I got further into the rank. Though I'm still only half way, so no doubt it'll pick up again.

Individual level comments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:24:48 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 10:35:35 AM »
V 3.0 is out!

Based on namida's feedback the following changes for rank 2 were made:

Fixed backroute:

- 2 08 (some terrain changes + the level name in-game was fixed; the file name still is the old one due to simplicity reasons and I don't think this matters much :P)

Positioning changes:

- 2 01 ---> 203 (so the old 2 02 and 2 03 are 1 place earlier)
- (The new) 2 01 <--> 2 15
- 2 05 <--> 2 19

Comments on the feedback:

A few of the "this was easy" cases I think come from the you already know the trick special case here.
Prime examples would be:

What I would like to know/want you to know:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 10:42:46 AM »
Respose to your comments (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 04:04:53 AM »
Looked at the next three levels - I say "looked at" because I only actually solved one of them.

Individual level feedback (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects