Author Topic: music  (Read 10109 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
music
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:46:33 AM »
post music you've been listening to lately.

an album I bought (mm maybe almost 10 years ago now :scared: ) Portishead's "third" album. Really amazing imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBOaLjtR4mw
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Supersalmas2

• View Profile
Re: music
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Hello ! Is this forum still active?

Anyway. I usually listen to hip hop bus in these days Bob Marley is in my ears

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 10:06:16 PM »
Welcome to forums Supersalmas2! :thumbsup:

On my commute to and from work, I often listen to various video game music from my childhood, as well as Disney music, and some Christian worship songs.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
I've almost reached the 1000 songs mark on my phone. There's a lot of different stuff on there. Pieces from movie soundtracks, entire video game soundtracks, some pop music, Disney songs, and some random stuff... No worship, though. Strangely, I've never come across something that I considered suitable.

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »
Every synapse in my brain is telling me to share here all the music I've enjoyed in my lifetime

but that wouldn't be too helpful to anyone

So I guess one track will do for now

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:57 AM »
Every synapse in my brain is telling me to share here all the music I've enjoyed in my lifetime

but that wouldn't be too helpful to anyone

So I guess one track will do for now

nice to see someone into obscure stuff!

Maybe you'd like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gStSR_p4hJo
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
nice to see someone into obscure stuff!

Well, not exactly. Though I do enjoy various genres.
The one I linked was more of a coincidental listen as it was featured in one cartoon once.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »
I've been wanting to know about this instrument for years and I finally found out what it is;
(duduk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1PIylFjrpo

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Oh, I guess I could have told you; I acquired a software instrument of a Duduk earlier this year to use on an Armenian song I covered for my YouTube channel ;) .

https://youtu.be/OMMFbmWBQaQ

Although I wasn't aware back then that it's seeing such frequent use in film music, too ;) . I guess that's why people made the effort to sample this instrument in the first place.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Zoinked

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
Listening to Steel Panther atm. They're a comedy band. Their isntrumentals are out of this world, though, lyrics are definitely not for everyone.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
Hehe, my pack Lemmings World Tour actually includes a Steel Panther song ;) . So I guess you know what this refers to?

I couldn't explain in detail on Arty's LP of the pack, because the comment section is supposed to remain family-friendly... :evil:

The Shocker

(PS: Yes, I am aware that I used the last two posts by other members in this thread for shameless self-promotion purposes :devil: . But aren't we always glad to find out when we have things in common? ;) )
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »
You know what, while I'm at it, I'm going to do the opposite now: Use my pack to promote songs by some rather unknown musicians who I consider somewhat underrated (at least if you think on an international level)! :D Yeah, I know, my outreach is truly large here in this small community ;P , so it probably won't be of much use to the artists, but whatever...

Those who follow Arty's LP may have noticed that I always post links to the songs featured by the levels in a given video in the comments beneath said videos, but I don't think a lot of people actually click on them, because it's usually a narrowly-spaced list, and the less known songs are often placed between songs so famous that most people already know them anyway.

I'm going to combine these with the level images so that you know what they refer to.

Since a lot of people have created levels based on songs, I encourage others to do so as well! I'm always a little dissatisfied when I don't get what a level title is referring to (if it's obvious to me that a reference is being made by the title in the first place, that is ;) ).

So please, if you based your levels on songs, share them here, I think this could make the thread a lot more lively with more regular posts! :thumbsup:

Japan - by Zlata Ognevich
If that accent sounds a little weird to you: The singer is from Ukraine, and the song was made shortly after the meltdown of the nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan (which I tried to rebuild in this level). The song was created in reference to the similar event in Chernobyl (which is situated in what would later become the nation of Ukraine) in 1986. That's why both the Ukrainian and the Japanese flag are in here.
Discovered this singer through Eurovision due to her pretty impressive vocal abilities (case and point), but the main reason the song was included in my pack was because Japan was still missing from my "World Tour" - and given it has such a huge music market that it's frequently graced with exclusive bonus tracks, that was not an option! ;)
This one really has to be experienced together with the images - quite rare to make a video that powerful without using any moving images, only photographs!

Rome - by Ten
Do any of the English forum members actually know this band? They are from Manchester and were at their peak in the mid-to-late 90s, predominantly in Japan (transition! :D ), though. Their musical style is often called AOR (adult-oriented rock), although they have evolved to sing a lot about historic topics, similarly to bands like Sabaton. The above song is one such example - it's about Rome in its founding period.
I like to joke that the band is called "Ten" because they came ten years too late - they made 80s-style rock music during the 90s. Maybe they would have been a lot more successful if they had appeared on stage a little earlier. At the same time, you can see they picked their name just before the internet became a widespread thing: A name as generic as "Ten" pretty much makes your band the hardest thing to find with any search engine. A shame, because their music is everything but generic!

Dziesma par laimi - by Fomins & Kleins
Well, this one is the exact opposite - just a harmless, nice and cheerful little "song about happiness" (that's what the title means, it's Latvian). In the level pack, this obviously became "Dziesma par Lemmi" :D . I'm always a sucker for power-metal style vocals, and found it interesting to hear what this sounds like in a less well-known European language.

Bay of Pigs - by Civil War
This is another history metal band in the style of Ten and Sabaton. (They are actually even from the same small town in Sweden as Sabaton! :D ) This song is about the US-organised invasion of Cuba by Cuban exiles on 17th April 1961, attempting to overthrow Fidel Castro. Since the invasion failed, but a level has to be successful in order for the player to advance, the Lemmings are on the Cuban side in this level, and the Zombies are the invaders.

Dragostea din tei - by O-Zone
Okay, this song is by far the most successful of those listed here. However, I repeatedly get the feeling that its fame seems to be largely restricted to Germany? And I'm part of that bubble, as you know. Looking at the comments at least, most of which are in German, this seems to hold up :D . Despite the large number of people who probably remember this song, I doubt most of them could actually recognise it by its title. Unless you drop the lines "nu ma, nu ma iei" or "maya-hee, maya-hoo" as additional hints ;) . It's probably the only Romanian-language song to ever achieve widespread international success. (The band itself is from Moldova, a smaller ex-soviet nation right next to Romania, but both countries speak the same language.)
The title means "love under the limetree", which is why there's a giant tree in the middle under which the two lemmings on this level have to meet :D .
My packs so far:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
Since a lot of people have created levels based on songs, I encourage others to do so as well! I'm always a little dissatisfied when I don't get what a level title is referring to (if it's obvious to me that a reference is being made by the title in the first place, that is ;) ).

So please, if you based your levels on songs, share them here, I think this could make the thread a lot more lively with more regular posts!

Why not? This sounds fun :thumbsup:

I'll keep this updated as I release more ranks, but here are the song references in GemLems' Amethyst rank:

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
Leonard Cohen - Take This Waltz ("In the Gallery of Frost")
Madonna - Material Girl ("Lemmings in a Material World")
Beauty School Dropout from Grease
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
It's that time of the year again for me to listen to stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTvyp_4qWHQ

Seriously. Christmas Metal. Only Fins could come up with that! :D

If you recognise the song, you will know what the title means.
My packs so far:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »
And here I was thinking no one else had even heard of Raskasta Joulua. All of their songs are on my christmas-playlist, and I listen to them every year. :laugh: