Author Topic: Adding stuff to graphic sets later on  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
Adding stuff to graphic sets later on
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:23:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

so, I'm fiddling around (pun intended) with my music-based tileset. I could solve the issue of remaining pink edges which I discussed on YouTube with Flopsy - in the end, it's much easier to just use the background eraser in Photoshop and create a png-file without any background at all, rather than having to rely on the GS tool to properly remove all instances of this exact shade of pink.

While I have also been editing object animations already, I haven't decided on a particular kind of hatch or one way arrows for this specific tileset yet. That's why I'm creating levels for it test-wise, trying out hatches from other graphic sets, just to see which colour schemes look well, before I modify one of the original hatches / arrows etc. to include it in the graphic set.

I noticed Colorful Arty recently did an update of his underwater tileset, adding a lot of new pieces. So this would apply in my case as well.

If I understood Flopsy correctly, adding new stuff later on shouldn't cause a problem as long as they aren't inserted between the already existing objects, but only appended at the end? Because if every piece gets a number, higher numbers shouldn't confuse the editor, but only the event of a new object replacing or swapping positions with an old one.

Just want to be sure about this before I create a bunch of levels with a premature version of this graphic set that might get messed up by later development. :)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding stuff to graphic sets later on
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
In the new format version it doesn't matter where you put the new pieces, but in the old format you have to put them to the end of the list to not mess up existing levels.
This is one of the reasons why making and editing graphicsets is a lot easier in the new format version. :laugh:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
This is one of the reasons why making and editing graphicsets is a lot easier in the new format version. :laugh:

Ok, that's certainly a point in its favour :) . But since graphic set conversion from the old to the new format seems possible, I'd rather put in a little more effort once and then have my graphic set available for several platforms, since I plan to use several versions of NeoLemmix parallely anyway.

If I knew how to, I'd even create my graphic set for NeoLemmix 1.43 first so that I could use it in all three versions! :D Is there still an old version of the GStool floating around somewhere, perhaps?
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »
Just download the current stable version, which is not new format, and the old GStool should come with it.

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Just to clarify, I am using the GStool that came with NeoLemmix 10.13 (there are two kinds of "old" now, after all :) ). Can this GStool also create graphic sets which can be used in NeoLemmix 1.43? Because if that were the case, for example the GigaLem graphic sets should also work in NeoLemmix 1.43 - which they don't ;) .
My packs so far:

Offline Ryemanni

• Indeed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
Is NL 1.43 the old gimmick version? If that's the case, I have no idea how to make graphic sets for it. :P

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
Yep, that's the one I'm talking about, because I'm currently creating the gimmicks pack "Lemmicks" ;) .

Is there anyone here who still has the graphic set tool for 1.43 somewhere on their harddrive? ;)
My packs so far:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:09:55 PM »
Just check and it seems all I have is 1.47 sorry.

surely namida or someone has all of them archived? They should ... :-\
Always keep old versions of things, can come in handy when you least expect it.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Here is a pretty old one. Not sure whether this is for V1.43 or slightly before or after that. If it doesn't work, I will look more closely through my old backups.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 11:18:59 PM »
The latest old-formats graphic set tool should work fine with the older version of NeoLemmix, as long as you don't use any features that aren't supported in the old version (though I believe there aren't many such features as far as the graphic set tool is concerned).

With that being said, do keep in mind that the primary reason old versions are kept available is to allow playing content that relies on it (or hasn't been officially updated yet, even if it should work without issue) and creating new content for it is not recommended. Content should always be created for the current stable version, perhaps keeping in mind any changes that are confirmed (or likely) to be occuring in the near future.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »
Thanks, everyone! I will try out what you've uploaded, perhaps it works. If not, it's not too tragic, because "Lemmicks" doesn't have the music theme anyway, so I don't need this tileset in there. If the option is available, I might create something entirely new for Lemmicks, though.

With that being said, do keep in mind that the primary reason old versions are kept available is to allow playing content that relies on it (or hasn't been officially updated yet, even if it should work without issue) and creating new content for it is not recommended. Content should always be created for the current stable version, perhaps keeping in mind any changes that are confirmed (or likely) to be occuring in the near future.

Which translates into: Only use the new formats editor, or, if you stick to 10.13, don't use radiation, slowfreeze, anti-splat pads, or turning teleporters. :) And please don't use the ceiling.

Well, I for one have made it public that I am creating a pack trying to systematically approach gimmicks. This is only possible in 1.43. And, who would have thought, already some players are showing interest in it, even at such an early stage in development! Mostly because they enjoy killing lemmings, I guess :D. But perhaps also for some of the other stuff.
My packs so far:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:37:10 AM »

Well, I for one have made it public that I am creating a pack trying to systematically approach gimmicks. This is only possible in 1.43. And, who would have thought, already some players are showing interest in it, even at such an early stage in development! Mostly because they enjoy killing lemmings, I guess :D. But perhaps also for some of the other stuff.

Not really, some of us just miss the leading zeros in Skillsets :P