Author Topic: A systematic approach to gimmicks  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
A systematic approach to gimmicks
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
While waiting for my brother to finally get the last two PARALEMS levels done before uploading the overauled version, I've been working on two separate pack ideas simulatenously, and one of them tries to take the chaos that gimmicks had become when they were abolished after NeoLemmix 1.43 and put it into a more systematic framework: One specific set of gimmicks always remains constant for a rank, i.e. 10 levels or so, then that rule set is discarded and a new one is introduced for the next rank. Only the final one, "Chaos", will combine all different kinds of gimmicks that were introduced to the player before in a... well, "chaotic" manner ;) .

However, as you might know, there was an awful number of gimmicks :D . So many that I already moved from a strict "one gimmick per rank"-policy to a "use gimmicks in combination that make sense together" approach (like vertical and horizontal wrap always go together; hardworkers always goes together with permanent blockers and non-lethal bombers, so every skill is "eternal", and so on).

Since afaik one cannot create more than 9 ranks in a pack, I just wanted to ask which gimmicks were considered the community's favourite ones back in the day. Since level wrap was suggested to be reimplemented in the new formats version, I guess that one was among them, as were zombies (which I don't actually consider a gimmick anymore, hence they can appear on all the ranks). But for all the other options, I have no idea how much they were liked by the players or not :D .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: A systematic approach to gimmicks
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:05:26 AM »
Gimmick rating by individual players

The rising water option had fun side effects: All continuous traps would move upwards, not only water, and leave a trail of destruction behind. We had a joke level with flamethrowers hidden far, far below the map, and set a fast rising speed.

With this much love for gimmicks and highly experimental game design, it's astonishing you've never dabbled in programming. :D

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: A systematic approach to gimmicks
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 12:37:48 PM »
For the record - the limit to the number of ranks is 15, not 9. At one point the limit to the number of levels in a rank was 254, but this might no longer be the case (in which case the limit would either be 999 or practically infinite). This will no longer apply on the new-formats version of NeoLemmix, which will not have any realistic limit to the number of ranks - memory limitations will set in long before any code-related limitation does.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)