Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Squared  (Read 10083 times)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemmings Squared
« on: April 06, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
Squared version 1.1 is now out, featuring major revamps to levels, new levels, backroute fixes, and more custom music variety!

I recommend using the latest stable version of the NeoLemmix player to play this. It isn't built for the new format, though I will likely port it over once that format has stabilized.

Link to the custom music: https://www.dropbox.com/s/307whfpun4yf77q/squaredMusic.zip?dl=1
Check the readme file within the .zip if you don't know how to make the custom music work.
Be sure to download this even if you have the old version of Squared, as there is more music now.

Enjoy, and have fun with the backroutes! I'm sure they're there somewhere, still... :-\
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:24:40 AM by nin10doadict »

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Squared
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I will have a looksee at this. It looks quite promising! :thumbsup:
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:23:32 PM »
Here is Brutal 20 100% saved 8-)     

I would remove the timer here as it really adds only possible frustraition.

Will maybe do even some commentary videos on it in the future ;)

Played on the latest exp version!  (zooming out to watch recommended :P)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:35:43 PM by IchoTolot »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
Completed the Simple rank. I've attached replays for: #2 100%, #12 in 0:36, #18 and #20 talismans achieved.

Mostly this was a well-designed fun and easy rank. Only a couple of problems stood out. #6 has an intro text about the stoner skill, but the level is easily solved with just miners, and I can't really see how it's possible to use the stoners productively. #10 and #13 are virtually the same level. The early levels have tutorial intro texts that suggest the rank is aimed at players who've never played NL before, but later on, things like downward OWW and unlock buttons appear with no introductory texts.

I'm not a fan of the number of hidden traps and fire in these levels. Those don't lead to any interesting gameplay; they just get the player to switch clear physics mode on, which means they don't get to enjoy the beauty of the terrains.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 06:00:12 PM »
Nice work with the 100% saved, Icho. It's not too hard to do that because I gave you way more skills than you need to actually finish; I took my record for least skills used and then bumped the number you get for each up to the second square above it. The time limit is there to enforce a degree of multitasking; you can do it in less than 8 minutes if you're efficient but if there was no limit you could just do one section at a time which I thought was a bit too easy. What I'm really waiting for is somebody to finish it with less than 204 skills. I know somebody out there can do it.

As for hidden traps, I'm ok with it. The traps in Simple 3 fooled my sister and her reaction was hilarious, so that's why I do it. I'm untrusting and usually tap the clear physics button at the start of pretty much any level, and it's not like you have to leave it on while you play. Just turn it on to see where stuff is or when you're working up close to a trigger. Design philosophies will differ. :)

Simple 10 and 13 are pretty similar, but at least 13 asks you to do a bit more, like cut off your builder early.

I should add more intro texts, yes. Got lazy with that. Also probably shouldn't have the stoners at all in Simple 6. I really didn't have many levels that use those.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
I just finished your level pack. Attached are replays for all levels. The following comments contain mild spoilers.

Comments for Simple (click to show/hide)
Comments for Moderate (click to show/hide)
Comments for Though (click to show/hide)
Comments for Scary (click to show/hide)
Comments for Brutal (click to show/hide)

And finally a list of all levels where I found peeking in the clear physics mods useful:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »
Please check the following talismans:

Moderate 14: "Save 49 with no bashers". This is awarded on saving 49 on Moderate 15.
Moderate 16: "Save 48 with no bashers". This is awarded for Moderate 17.

Incidentally, although the second talisman asks for 48/49, saving 49 is possible (and rather easy; just make a blocker at the start, use a walker to release him). Moderate 7 also has a talisman for saving 49/50, but 50 is possible:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:16:27 PM by Proxima »

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 08:40:30 PM »
Updated to version 1.01; check the first post for the new download.
Changes: Moderate 10 got a graphical touchup (layering errors... :-\) and new pre-level text explaining the splitter object.
Removed the stoners from Simple 6.
Some additional pre-level text added to explain NeoLemmix objects/skills better.
Talisman descriptions now reference the correct levels.
Talisman requirement for Moderate 7 changed. (All I needed was to be told 100% could be done and I saw how right away. I was just missing one step :P)
Moderate 17 now gives you far fewer Walkers so you can't just punch through all the walls with Miner/Walker canceling.

More changes will likely come as more broken stuff is discovered. Thanks for the testing help! I still have to sort through Nepster's comments, working on that now...

This is why some people turn to drugs and alcohol isn't it
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:22:32 PM by nin10doadict »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »
Regarding Tough 5: There's a background image object placed in the level as an actual object. This is what's causing the level to fail to load on newer NeoLemmix versions (not this directly, but rather, the fact that this object doesn't exist at all in the normal version of the Bubble set). Delete that object, and just set the background through the "Set Background" option on the same panel as lemming count, etc.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
Hi

I'm playing through the pack (some have me stumped) but when I selected Tough - Where's Lemmy? I received the following message 'Obtain Object Loop on 'Bubble 17'.  Please report.

The program exited when I clicked on OK.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 04:03:38 AM »
Just a guess, but it's probably because I'm using namida's updated bubble tileset but didn't include it in the pack. There might be a small difference between that tileset and the default bubble tileset that goofs up that level. I think it's because I tried to add a background object that doesn't exist in the default tileset. You can try searching around the forum for namida's updated tileset and use that instead of the default one. If you really don't want to do that, I can make a quick patch to remove the offending object.

I still think this level pack needs some work anyway. I'll get around to it sometime.... :-[

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »
In preparation for Flopsy's LP, I have drastically revamped this level pack. Check the first post in the topic for details.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 09:42:00 AM »
I have now completed the LP of Lemmings Squared now, the last part will be part 30 in the LP which is coming up in about a month's time. I will now be moving onto LPing Casualemmings

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 09:37:45 PM »
Hello nin10doadict,

I solved this pack from way back in April 2020, so I'm just attaching my replays here for completeness. Since they're for Old Formats NL, these replays will likely not be of interest to anyone these days, but they're there just in case. Also, you're already aware, but my complete set of video solutions is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbp2m4KlFpJs4vSxkwNfQa21nnCXars5Q

General Feedback

Lemmings Squared is nin10doadict's first level pack. While there are some flaws that he personally feels brings down the quality of the pack, I thought this was pretty decent for his first attempt at one. Indeed, while I was recording my solutions to the levels recently, many of them had me going "oh yea, now I remember why I like the level." In any case, the feedback that he received for this pack he took on board to improve or his next pack, Casualemmings.

Each rank finishes with a boss level. These are wide landscapes that look intimidating and difficult, but because you have a lot available they shouldn't be too much of a problem. At least the earlier ones. The later ones are appropriately challenging.

I must say it was definitely great seeing my solutions to these levels again after so long. I've forgotten pretty much every level in the pack due to the time since I last played and saw the levels. It's exacerbated by how I've played so many level packs that it's easy to lose track of which levels belong to who.

The pack is easy/medium for the most part, but it definitely gets difficult closer to the end. I remember a lot of the last rank levels in Brutal taking me a while. Even then, there's still the occasional really hard level here and there in the earlier ranks too.

There is a custom music pack for the level pack. I recognize a couple, such as The Incredible Machine 2 ones. I have definitely forgotten about that, as nin10doadict is apparently a fan of the series. I love these games when I was growing up, and I still occasionally revisit them from time to time. There's also a track that plays on Armani's R3 for the current LDC too.

Finally, as for the name of the level pack, it has a recurring mathematical theme in that a lot of quantities in the levels are perfect squares, i.e, numbers that are the result of an integer multiplied by itself. You know, like 1 (1 x 1), 4 (2 x 2), 9 (3 x 3), 16 (4 x 4), etc. They're featured in the number of lemmings, but most importantly the quantities of the skills are often perfect squares, though there's also many levels with all skills being perfect square numbers except for maybe one skill.

Simple Rank Feedback

The first rank of 5 of the pack, the easiest levels are found here.

Feedback on some levels (click to show/hide)

Moderate Rank Feedback

Levels are a bit harder than the ones in the Simple rank but should still be manageable.

Tough Rank Feedback

Even harder levels here

Scary Rank Feedback

Even harder levels and where there's a difficulty spike but still not as bad as some levels in the next and final rank

Brutal Rank Feedback

The hardest levels of the pack are here, it's definitely not pulling any punches here!

Overall, quite a decent first pack, even if some of the levels weren't to my liking. It was definitely a trip down memory lane here seeing my solutions again after so long. Thanks for this pack nin10doadict. I will definitely be going through your second pack hopefully soon! 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0