Author Topic: clicking on item in the "new posts" section does not take me to new post  (Read 4208 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
this isn't a major problem but it's been happening for a long time and I'm curious if anyone else has this. Also, I'm not completely sure partly because I haven't visited another forum in a while but I think this may have happened on other forums as well [which could mean it's a problem with my PC ]

-When I click on a post in the bottom new posts section instead of taking me exactly  to that post, it goes somewhere in the middle of the latest page. So it goes to the right page but I always have to scroll up [or down depending on my last/first order setting]. Funny thing is, If i leave that page and go back to the index and click on the same link; it then works properly.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
I have this too, occasionally.

Guess: Many external graphics cause this. The forum cannot generate height tags for external images. When the images load after the page is rendered, the posts enlarge, while the scroll position remains unchanged.

Old Firefox 3.5, maybe it's better in a different browser.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Newer versions of browsers tend to re-adjust the scroll position to account for that.

However, based on chat in IRC, it appears mobius's issue actually is related to that he uses the "display newest posts at the top" option. Since this option is very rarely used (I believe), I can see why even in SMF itself, let alone a mod or my own changes (if the latter are relevant - now that I think about it, didn't I make a minor change to how it worked at some point?), might have missed a problem that occurs only with such an option. I will look into it later tonight.

I can confirm that I myself don't have this issue with either newest Firefox under Windows 10, newest Chromium under Ubuntu / LXDE, or newest Firefox Mobile under Android 4.4. However, I don't use the reverse order setting.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I'm using seamonkey. I'm pretty sure it happens on my firefox to. And the graphics issue sounds like a good theory because this is how it happens;
Often the page appears at the top but while it finishes loading it moves down to said position.
I think when the page takes quicker to load this does'nt happen.

Also; it doesn't always happen. But often, also more often on larger pages. I just changed my option so that new posts appear at the bottom so I'll see in the next few days if it improves.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I just did some experimenting and I think I see a pattern;

it only happens the first time I go to a topic. I clicked on the "help for L2" topic and Gramms post. First time it took me to a post by Flopsy in the middle of the page. I went back and tried again then it took me to Gramms post. This same result happened at least two other times in other topics.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
If it's simply a matter of read vs unread posts; then this would be expected - the second time, you have no unread posts in the topic, so it takes you to the last post.

However, if it's not taking you to the first unread post the first time, then we still have an issue somewhere.

EDIT: Also - if anyone else is having similar problems, can you let me know any patterns you've noticed, what your settings are, etc?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I've now been using the forum with the normal options for a few weeks [lastest post is on bottom, first post atop]. And it's still happening. Now instead of being down further than it should, the screen is up farther than it should [from the bottom].

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
okay-- here's a big important point which somehow I forgot until now: because it hasn't happened for a very long time but it used to happen a lot. It just happened to me now when I clicked on "general comings and goings"

Instead of taking me to the latest post (by Icho) it took me to even the wrong page; the middle of the second to last page. In light of this, the loading graphics theory doesn't seem as likely...
As before; going back and clicking again, it works as intended.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Was there a post on that page that you hadn't read yet? Remember - it takes you to the last unread post; even if that's not on the newest page.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Namida's right. There were two posts I hadn't read on the "General Comings and Goings" thread and when I clicked on it, it took me to the last unread post, is this case explaining who's leaving, rather than the "Have a good time!" post, which would otherwise confuse readers. That I thought was a sensible idea.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3