Author Topic: [BUG][EDITOR][N/A] One-way arrows not displaying when creating new level  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Status: Not a bug; terrain must be specifically marked as one-way-capable as described in the editor guide. This has been the case for ages now.

I tried to make a new level with One-way arrows. However, no matter which graphic set I use, they aren't showing up. These arrows don't even work when testing.

However they are noticeable when loading up a file from the Dump section, (Fun 11 for example).

Attached is a test level with the arrow objects placed on the wall.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:18:02 AM by namida »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [BUG][EDITOR] One-way arrows not displaying when creating new level
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:24 PM »
There was a change in the way one-way-walls work resp. can be created: Terrain pieces have an additional option One-Way. Only pieces that have this option checked can be turned into one-way-walls when a corresponding object is placed above them.

Alternatively select the option One-Way-Inversion at the bottom to use the one-way-handling of the traditional Lemmix.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »
This is another fine example of "let's make the default case error-prone and confusing, because there is an esoteric case that needs the option".

100 % rant mood but I have nice music playing in the background, so only a snarky comment. :evil:

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:24:23 PM »
Interesting.  So I'm guessing this change was made because people want finer control over the exact shapes of one-way-wall areas that cannot be easily achieved by just stacking multiple rectangular objects?  That being said, it does seem like one-way-inversion would probably be the better default (or having the one-way option for terrain pieces default to checked).

This is another fine example of "let's make the default case error-prone and confusing, because there is an esoteric case that needs the option".

I don't think it's because an esoteric case exists per se, rather, it seems more a case of a poorly chosen default.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:29:38 PM by ccexplore »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 02:17:15 AM »
There is no bug here, and it is even explained in the Editor Guide topic (unlike the locked exit thing, which admittedly could've been explained better - and hopefully is, now).

This is also not an "obscure case" - the need to have overlapping one-way and non-one-way arrows without straight edges between the sections occurs very frequently in rough-edged tilesets, and even from time to time in non-rough-edged sets. For example - try to replicate this without these more-flexible one-way options (note that the one-way arrows cover the entire column in the middle - top to bottom - without touching the thin platforms at all).

Topic closed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 02:53:36 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)