Author Topic: [BUG] [CONTENT] [FIXED] strange object co-ordinates after dumping lvl files  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Status: Fixed. The fixed versions of the official game NXPs have been uploaded; get them from the NeoLemmix website.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:05:23 AM by namida »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: [BUG] [EDITOR] strange object co-ordinates after dumping lvl files
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:27:59 AM »
This is my first report so I hope I'm doing this corrently. :)

After dumping some Original Lemmings levels onto the editor, loading them up and then pressing F8 on the keyboard (A shortcut to the Level List window) I see several objects (which limit up to 127) with a bizarre set of co-ordinates. (-3276 by -3276)

This probably falls into the low-priority tag, but I thought it's worth a mention.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [BUG] [EDITOR] strange object co-ordinates after dumping lvl files
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »
That was a known issue at one point (caused by some technicality with an older format), but I thought I had long since tidied that up. I'll try and get that cleared up. :)

PS: I've reclassified this under [CONTENT] rather than [EDITOR], as that's more accurate.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: [BUG] [CONTENT] strange object co-ordinates after dumping lvl files
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:39 AM »
The rubbish is present in the data file, right?

The L1 devs have moved terrain far out of the visible area instead of deleting it. Alternatively, their convention for what denotes an existing piece isn't the same as ours. Since there is no specification of the L1 level format by its authors, we can only guess.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
Yeah, it would be in the data file, so the solution would be to modify the data files to remove all these junk objects. This would in turn mean it doesn't have to be linked to any player or editor update, but just something I need to get around to at some point.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
All of these should be fixed now.

If you still encounter this problem in general (no matter what level), it'd suggest there's something wrong with the player's dumping code. If you still encounter it on some levels but not others, it probably just means I missed part of it while fixing (I added some code to the editor to mass-validate entire DAT files in one go, so generally, aside from oddtabled levels, if one level in a rank is unfixed, the entire rank will be unfixed - but other ranks in the same game will probably be fixed).
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
I specifically seem to recall that for Taxing 27 ("Call in the Bomb squad"), extra terrain is present in Lemmix compared to DOS Lemmings, because the way Lemmix detect the end of terrain list was emulated incorrectly--not an issue in most levels as it happens, except that particular one.  I don't remember the details off top of my head though, and likely this is completely different issue from what's being reported here (mentioning an example level would've been nice :XD:) [edit: oops, missed the screenshot, never mind].

Since there is no specification of the L1 level format by its authors, we can only guess.

We (okay, I) do have the game's disassembly though, so we don't really have to guess anything.  Though it sounds like this is a content issue where the author chose to place stuff completely outside the level area instead of merely removing it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
I'm not fully convinced that this is a content issue (ie. the thing about "junk" in the data file that needs to be removed)?  In Eric's Lemmix editor, there is also a Level List window, and it correctly shows just 3 objects there.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 08:25:35 PM »
It is a content issue; the phantom objects appeared during NeoLemmix-ization of these levels (hence why they wouldn't be there in the DOS version opened in the traditional Lemmix editor - not that the DOS versions would reveal the problem anyway, as NeoLemmix's content used the Amiga version as its starting point). Either that, or it's a bug in the dumping code. No, the dumping code hasn't been changed in ages, and I just checked now with the new NXPs that have the content fixed - they no longer have this problem. It's definitely, beyond any doubt, a content error, that has now been fixed. As such, closing this topic now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:05:10 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects