Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] PimoLems [Difficulty: Medium]  (Read 39981 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] PimoLems [Difficulty: Medium]
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2020, 04:27:15 PM »
Finished the Stormy rank. Replays attached.

Replays Icho might particularly want to look at are Stormy 3 and 18. Mostly it's namida who's finding the really unexpected solutions, so his solutions attached here and in the next two posts are also (even more) worth taking a look.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2020, 05:27:37 PM »
V 3.2 is out!

With a ton of backroute fixes thanks to Challenge replays and Swerdis:

- 1 14 (extended the OWWs)

- 2 01 (Parts of the glass sides are now steel)
- 2 09 (Extended a trap, exits are now limited to 1 lemming)
- 2 11 (A bomber is now a pick-up skill)
- 2 12 (Added a OWW + ice blowers)
- 2 14 (some minor terrain changes)

- 3 03 (added steel)
- 3 04 (4 builders are now pick-ups)
- 3 08 (added steel, extended traps)
- 3 17 (added a 3 min timer + steel)
- 3 18 (added steel)

- 4 01 (added steel)
- 4 02 (added fire)
- 4 03 (added steel, removed a OWW)
- 4 04 (a digger is now a pick-up skill)
- 4 09 (added a trap)
- 4 11 (Moved the entire level to the edge and reduced level size)
- 4 13 (narrowed the gaps, 2 builders are now pick-ups)
- 4 15 (added steel, added OWW)
- 4 17 (added more traps)
- 4 18 (added steel and extrended traps)
- 4 19 (added trap)

- 5 02 (added steel)
- 5 12 (removed some chain terrain)
- 5 16 (added some terrain)
- 5 17 (added a OWW)
- 5 18 (added steel, added a trap)
- 5 20 (terrain changes, there are now 2 exits with save requirement-1 capacity)

- 6 05 (added steel)
- 6 10 (a builder is now a pick-up skill)
- 6 11 (added a OWW)
- 6 13 (some terrain changes)
- 6 14 (some terrain changes)
- 6 16 (added steel)
- 6 17 (a basher and a builder are now a pick-up skill)
- 6 18 (some terrain changes)
- 6 19 (added steel)

- 7 02 (2 builders are now pick-up skills)

- 8 10 (removed the blockers+bombers)
- 8 14 (added fire)
- 8 15 (the blockers are now pick-up skills)
- 8 16 (added steel)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:08 AM »
Here's a backroute that needs a bit of fixing on Stormy 5

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2020, 06:09:33 AM »
how clever shmolem, yes this is a backroute that needs fixing. Definitely not intended. doesn't even get either bomber pickup.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:33:01 AM by ericderkovits »

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2020, 08:53:38 PM »
V 3.3 is out!

Backroute fix thanks to the replays of Shmolem:

- 3 05 (-10 climbers)

Offline Shmoley

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2021, 01:28:39 AM »
I finished Pimolems! The only level I didn't beat was A Brick in the Wall in the Special rank because I learned that that level is in Lemmings Reunion which is the pack I'll be beating next anyway. (Same with Castle Rush but I didn't know that at the time.) Anyway here are my replays, hopefully there aren't too many backroutes but I feel like I'm pretty prone to finding them.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2021, 05:48:25 AM »
Thanks for the replays, Shmolem! :thumbsup:

I will look through them soon and see if you found some backroutes. :)

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2021, 01:39:55 PM »
It seems you played on an older version Shmolem as some of your replays were not working as things were already patched out. The following replays are affected:

2 01, 214
3 05, 3 18
4 03, 4 09, 4 17, 4 18
5 02, 5 16, 5 18
6 05, 6 13, 6 14, 6 18
8 16

The rest still revealed a few backroutes though. ;)

V 3.4 is out! :)

Visual fix:

- 1 14 (preemptively removed the decorative "only on terrain" fire hydrants)

Backroute fixes based on Shmolem's replays:

- 4 02 (added steel)
- 4 04 (2 builders are now pick-ups)
- 4 15 (extended a OWW)

- 5 06 (added a trap)
- 5 17 (added steel)

- 7 04 (2 builders are now pick-ups)  --> fixed in Reunion as well

- 8 19 (removed some terrain)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2022, 08:12:30 AM »
I'm finally doing it, playing through your conversion of Pieuw's Pimolems pack for New Formats NL. Completed both the Calm and Windy ranks. Replays attached.

General Feedback

Pimolems is a custom level pack by Pieuw and was originally for Lemmini. It is the second custom level pack for Lemmini that I played and solved, after Dovelems. I think I played through this pack on Lemmini starting either in 2013 or 2014. Though, it's technically the third custom level pack I completed, as Mazulems was actually my very first custom level pack, although I played it all on Dos back in the high school days, years before I discovered the Forums and Lemmini. Later on, Icho converted the pack over to NL, and is available for both Old Formats and New Formats NL. As NL eliminated all glitches, there are several levels that originally relied on a Lemmini glitch to be solved, and so they had to be adapted to work in NL.

For the first 4 ranks, the rank names here are pretty much in order according to intensity of wind storms, starting with the least intense with Calm, going all the way up to the name of Hurricane for the 4th and final main rank of the pack, the name being a very intense storm with strong and high speed winds. The remaining 3 ranks of the pack are special ranks of some kind, with Pickaxe focusing on the miner skill, the One rank having all levels with a 1 minute time limit, the Special rank consisting of levels in the Castle tileset, and an Extra rank consisting of levels that don't fit anywhere else in the pack. For the Special rank, exclusively for the NL version, Icho took two Castle levels from his Reunion rank and added it to the rank so that it has 5 levels total instead of 3 like in the Lemmini version. 

I guess Dovelems did give me some training for Pimolems, though both Dodochacalo and Pieuw have designs that differ in many ways despite many of them getting inspiration from one another. However, I remember rage quitting on Hurricane 3 and not coming back to the pack for years, though to be fair it was when I played the pack on Lemmini all those years ago. Once I did come back around 2017 or so and got past Hurricane 3, I went on to solve the rest of the pack, although with plenty of struggling through the rest of the rank, as I remember plenty of levels in the rank being quite tough. Not only that, there were also some levels that I couldn't get solved in my first pass and so I did a lot of jumping around the pack too. This is probably the only pack in which I have done so. Since then, I have gone back to play and solve Pimolems on Lemmini a few times, as I remember it being a great pack. In addition, Pimolems increases in difficulty much faster than Dovelems, though to be fair there are less levels per rank and so the difficulty climbing faster is justified. Nevertheless, Dovelems is meant to be more gentle on the difficulty than Pimolems. However, Dodochacalo's mini level packs are also worth checking out and are also fairly harder.

It is important to note that when Icho converted the pack to NL, that despite some levels seemingly out of place due to difficulty, the level order was preserved as intended by Pieuw, since the latter is the author of the pack, not the former. So, keep that in mind when I'm giving feedback on levels I feel are difficult for their positions. 

Calm Rank Feedback

Not much to say here other than the levels are fairly open-ended for the most part and generally won't give players problems, especially given that a lot of levels have very lenient save requirements, often being only to save half the number of lemmings, along with very generous skillsets. However, on most of them I challenged myself to go for a save all if possible. The rank doesn't disappoint at all and has plenty of variety and diversity to make for very interesting levels :thumbsup:

Regarding Calm 5, is the right side supposed to be blocked off completely by steel? I pretty much brute forced my way through that side. Other than this level, I don't think I backrouted anything in this rank.

The only level in this rank that was changed significantly from the Lemmini version is Calm 19 - Iron Industry. On Lemmini, the level is a guess the path through the steel, as there is some fake steel that can be destroyed. I believe Pieuw said there's some indications as to where they are in the level, although what that is I haven't figured it out even after all these years. In NL, however, all the fake steel got replaced with solid terrain and hence the guesswork is completely eliminated in order to conform to NL standards. Not only that, steel is steel in NL, meaning it can never be destroyed, though back in the very early days of NL there was an autosteel option.

I think the hardest levels in the rank are Calm 18 - Clumps and Calm 20 - Spring Break !. It doesn't mean they're hard levels themselves, but rather what I mean here is they're the hardest levels relative to all the other ones in the rank. The saving grace in the former is pretty much the lenient save requirement despite the somewhat high RR, while in the latter the builders might seem plentiful but they run out super fast. You're also very limited in the digging destructive skills, and so it's not easy at all to figure out how to use them effectively on the level.

Other levels that IMO can be considered a big jump in difficulty are Calm 2 - Training Day and Calm 7 - Lemstones. For the former, this is a bit harsh in that it's only the second level of the pack. The builder is pretty much the only obvious skill placement, while the others aren't as clear. In the latter, getting the crowd down safely with the limited skillset can be the most challenging for new players, though technically due to the lenient save requirement you don't have to hold the crowd back at the top of the level, but is an absolute must if you want to go for saving as many as possible on that level.

Windy Rank Feedback

Levels are a tad bit harder than the ones in the previous rank. At least at first, the levels aren't hard, but the jump in difficulty occurs just a bit before the midpoint of the rank and stays high until the end of the rank, therefore signaling that this pack already stops playing around long before the end of the pack. I don't think I backrouted anything here as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will continue with the rest of the pack soon, and I think I will post again as I complete each rank! :) I'm definitely remembering how great this pack is playing through the levels again. I've forgotten a lot of the levels here!       
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:58:58 AM by kaywhyn »
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2022, 05:22:25 PM »
Wow, that's great news. I will watch this for sure, especially since I completed this pack already. Normally it's the other way round :-)

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2022, 09:28:50 PM »
Thanks for the replays - will look through them when I find the time. :)

(Also I need to find some time to look through Swerdis's Reunion vids at some point. ;P)

Offline Swerdis

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2022, 10:35:48 PM »
I'll give my detailed feedback when I made my way through. I really, really enjoy this pack and I must say, while its definitely a pack for advanced players, it's not quite as hard as expected so far. Maybe that will change in the later parts of the Nightmare! rank. (yeah, wrong thread, actually ;))

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2022, 12:55:39 AM »
Stormy rank completed. Replays attached and more feedback. There are two replays for Stormy 5, and they should be backroutes. I'm not sure if they're the same backroute that Shmoley found, but as they avoid the pickups some more fixing is needed here. I have a feeling that maybe 2 of the builders will be pickups now :laugh:

Stormy Rank Feedback

Harder levels here still, but they aren't anywhere near as nasty as many of the levels of the next rank, which is where the hardest levels of the main part of the pack are. I might have also found some backroutes starting in this rank, of which Stormy 5 should be one of them :P Stormy 7 and 8 might be ones as well, but I'm not certain. Latter is probably very likely, as I do have some skills left.

All rightie, just the Hurricane rank left for the main part of the pack. Looking forward to seeing how much they will challenge me from the lapse of time but will likely enjoy them better since execution isn't as big of a problem on NL as it is on Lemmini. Still enjoying the pack as usual! :thumbsup:

Wow, that's great news. I will watch this for sure, especially since I completed this pack already. Normally it's the other way round :-)

You will have to wait about another week or so, as for this pack I've decided to do post-commentary rather than an actual playthrough in real time. Since I've solved the pack a few times already on Lemmini, I decided it's better to do post-commentary. I just don't have the time and energy like I used to for LPing every level pack that exists :P

Thanks for the replays - will look through them when I find the time. :)

(Also I need to find some time to look through Swerdis's Reunion vids at some point. ;P)

Yea, some of the solutions that Swerdis found for your Reunion pack are quite interesting and very different from either of our solutions. However, check mine out for another severe backroute I unfortunately found for Nightmare 21 :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2022, 09:37:36 AM »
4th and final main rank of Hurricane completed. Replays attached and of course more feedback

Hurricane Rank Feedback

The hardest levels of the main part of the pack are in this rank. I definitely remember this rank taking me a while back when I first played the Lemmini version. In particular, Hurricane 3 was where I rage quit the pack and didn't come back to it for a few years. I returned in 2017, got myself unstuck after a bit more struggling, and proceeded to smash the rest of the rank and the remaining 3 ranks. Shortly after, I played through Icho's Reunion pack for Lemmini and after a few months of on and off due to work/school, I completed it.

I also remember getting stuck on Hurricane 10 back in the days and I remember feeling super satisfied when I figured it out. I don't remember if I first learned that trick here or on one of Insane Steve's Dos packs.

Other levels I remember being hard were Hurricane 9, Hurricane 12, Hurricane 15, Hurricane 17, and Hurricane 19. Granted, some of these are still hard on NL due to being patched up more but is luckily not as frustrating on the execution as it is on Lemmini, let alone backroute prone on that engine.

I have also succeeded in finding some backroutes in this rank :P

All rightie, as was confirmed, I definitely remember a lot of the levels in the rank being hard but they certainly took nowhere near as long as it did when I first played them on Lemmini, where some had me stuck for a while. It's mostly due to somewhat remembering the solutions even after all these years, but the important thing is even if I don't remember the solution, I eventually figure them out again on my own after some time. That's one of the major reasons why I generally don't run a replay that I have, as it's good exercising of brain power to hash out the solution manually again.

I will continue with the 4 special ranks later on! :)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2022, 09:18:54 PM »
Pickaxe rank completed. More replays and feedback, of course ;)

Pickaxe Rank Feedback

Being a special rank, the difficulty essentially resets completely here, where you start off easy but the levels progress in difficulty as you move along in the rank. The levels here all feature the miner as the main and essential skill, showing off various tricks you can do with it. I certainly learned a lot of valuable ones here back in the Lemmini days of playing through this pack! No backroutes here, I think :)

2 full ranks of 20 levels and one rank of 5 levels remaining! Looking forward to the next rank, as I love 1-minute levels and time limits!