Author Topic: Simon blogs  (Read 67025 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Simon blogs
« Reply #300 on: July 19, 2021, 10:12:55 PM »
87 kg after one month. (Goal weight is 80 kg by end of year. Donation to Lemmings Forums hosting will be 1 euro per 100 g over 78 kg.)

Link dump

Duke Nukem 2 is a classic DOS platformer where you blow up stuff ("Duke... You have destroyed everything. Excellent!"), enjoy grammar on which Proxima and I didn't agree ("It is the strongest of any weapon!" while I insist that this must be written "It is the strongest of all weapons!") and enjoy graphics ripped from Turrican.

To sort items by rating, don't sort by average (bad when an item has few votes), and don't sort by absolute difference either (bad when an item has many votes). Sort by the statistically lowest-plausible score by admitting larger variance when an item has only a few ratings.

The collection of "page is under construction" gifs contains some gifs with Lemmings. Can you find them?

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #301 on: July 20, 2021, 03:53:19 AM »
("It is the strongest of any weapon!" while I insist that this must be written "It is the strongest of all weapons!")

I suggest a quick read into descriptive vs prescriptive in linguistics. ;)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #302 on: July 23, 2021, 06:13:34 AM »
Personally, I would consider both to be correct. If I were forced to choose one I would probably go with the "all weapons" version instead of the "any weapon" version, but I would not cite grammar as the reason for choosing it. You could also just say that "It is the strongest weapon" if you want to be concise. You could also go with something like "It is the strongest weapon in existence" or something along those lines. Really, the meaning is the same between all the variants, and it's just a matter of personal preference.