Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Revenge of the Lemmings 2.0!  (Read 61254 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Revenge of the Lemmings 2.0!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 05:31:51 AM »
Thanks!

Another thing I've noticed in the Configuration menu: I don't see the "Relative 'In' Count" option anywhere. I guess you can't fit everything on Page 1 of the menu since there's Challenge Mode, Timer mode and Steel Debug mode (as well ass the forced gimmicks/skillsets in Page 2).

It should be on the zero key, just below "Fixed Skill Keys". It's not there because that option is added in V1.35n-C (which you have the pre-release version of); this game's player is V1.35n-B. If mobius uses V1.35n-C for an update (instead of just using the workarounds to avoid the errors on V1.35n-B), then the option will be there.

A very odd glitch - simply completing Hootenanny 23 "A Fair Old Lick" unlocks the talisman for Hootenanny 24 "Works on So Many Levels". Also, completing Hootenanny 24 itself, even using the diggers, unlocks the talisman.

This could be either an issue with the talismans file, or with the player. The former sounds like it's more likely to be a player issue (EDIT: Or not, see details below). The latter sounds like mobius may have simply forgotten to set the requirements properly; this is something I've often done myself too.

I'd need the updated source files from mobius in order to properly diagnose this issue; the pre-release copy he sent me (to diagnose some issues he was having earlier) is before most of the talismans were implemented, or at least before they were ordered correctly EDIT: nope, it seems they're all there, this pack just doesn't have a very large number of them. However, they do seem to point to the wrong levels in many cases. EG. in this, the Hootenanny 23 talisman has "Works on so many levels" in the description (and does indeed have "zero diggers" as the only requirement), so either these levels were re-ordered, or the talisman is outright assigned to the wrong level. There's also one in there for Hootenanny 24, with "Lem Squared" as the description; this one requires no floaters or bashers. Additionally, both of these talismans (and probably the others too) don't specify any save requirement, so all you'd have to do to unlock them is save one lemming without using the skills; not nessecerially reach the level's save requirement in full. This is why importing the level file into the Talisman Editor is recommended; because it'll automatically set the requirements to the level's save requirement / skillset / time limit, and you can further change them from there (of course, you can just set those manually, but it's quicker this way).

Downloaded this. I breezed through this pack with the cheats to see what it had, and from what I see, I much like this pack and its ordering and the replacing of levels a lot more than the first version.

There is a problem I have, though -- (at least) 2 levels, Pain 9 and Carnage 20, give me a non-English crash error and close the program when the game tries to retrieve the level.

"Bestand g_.dat staat niet in archief"

Known issue; I've given mobius instructions on how to fix it in the current NeoLemmix version, and the next update fixes the underlying bug that causes the issue anyway (mobius has access for testing purposes - but I've given the okay to release players made on it - of a preview version of V1.35n-C).

One more thing I noticed - in the credits (on the title screen scroller), in the section for testing, DynaLem is mentioned twice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:40:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 04:53:25 PM »
I can confirm I'm also facing the trapdoor and "List index out of bounds" errors.

Some of the Talismans seem to be faulty - for example, the one for "works on so many levels" I achieved in the previous level, "A fair old lick".

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to the punch on that one.  On a more minor note, because some of the levels were rearranged after I had selected music for them, some of them have matching tunes that are very close if adjacent to each other (Rattlesnake and Fall Guy spring to mind).  And the Talisman explanation for Fall Guy says 49 or 97%... this should be 39 or 97%.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 06:19:05 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »
And I'm stuck on "Take it like a Lemming"!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
Very sorry that for the past few days I could not work on this. After tomorrow I will be able.

When I re-build the pack I will re-check all the talisman levels and make sure those are correct.
Previously; I made it so after beating a secret level accessed from a talisman you would go to the next level after that talisman level. This was before I realized that it doesn't send you to the secret level right away anyway. Which level exactly should I make it send you to after completing said secret level?

I'd need the updated source files from mobius in order to properly diagnose this issue; the pre-release copy he sent me (to diagnose some issues he was having earlier) is before most of the talismans were implemented, or at least before they were ordered correctly EDIT: nope, it seems they're all there, this pack just doesn't have a very large number of them. However, they do seem to point to the wrong levels in many cases. EG. in this, the Hootenanny 23 talisman has "Works on so many levels" in the description (and does indeed have "zero diggers" as the only requirement), so either these levels were re-ordered, or the talisman is outright assigned to the wrong level. There's also one in there for Hootenanny 24, with "Lem Squared" as the description; this one requires no floaters or bashers. Additionally, both of these talismans (and probably the others too) don't specify any save requirement, so all you'd have to do to unlock them is save one lemming without using the skills; not nessecerially reach the level's save requirement in full. This is why importing the level file into the Talisman Editor is recommended; because it'll automatically set the requirements to the level's save requirement / skillset / time limit, and you can further change them from there (of course, you can just set those manually, but it's quicker this way).

shoot-- I didn't know about having those requirements or about importing the level data! :XD: I will fix this.

So, to be clear; I should use the latest version and all these graphical issues will be fixed? So far, it seems DynaLem is the only one experiencing the specific issue with entrances?
I did confirm problems with levels pain 9 and carnage 19.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:14 AM »
The issues with graphic sets and trapdoors are caused by errors in the code for loading 10KB format levels. You could fix this either by using the newer version (where those issues have been fixed), or by opening and re-saving the levels in the editor (which will save them in the newer variable-size format, which doesn't have those issues in any version).

Talismans you'll need to fix the TALISMAN.DAT file, version won't make a difference.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:50:38 AM »
Ok, that's awesome. I'll re-compile the pack and re-check everything. The main issue is I had a system of numbering all my files but when I needed to re-order things I got lazy and didn't keep it up so then I screwed up the Talisman.

[No glitches discovered yet  in the latest version player btw]

Downloaded this. I breezed through this pack with the cheats to see what it had, and from what I see, I much like this pack and its ordering and the replacing of levels a lot more than the first version.

thanks! I put a lot of work into making a better level order, with the help of all the people who tested and made suggestions and replays. Particularly Nepster and Crane who kept playing/discovering backroutes in recently added levels for this newer version.
The pack in whole still gets quite difficult but it should be a much more friendlier curve than the first Lemmini version. Especially since there is now a proper "fun" rank.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 03:28:36 AM »
Some levels like Devious 21 "The One Way Block" uses the gimmick music (the one from Kirby Blockball) when there are no gimmicks, while some levels like Devious 29 "Betcha Can't Save Just One!" use the frenzy music (though you can still pause). Are these intended music choices?

Also, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before, but some levels like Pain 4 "A Towering Proposition" end up spitting a "List Index Out of bounds" error with blanked-out number on the skill panel, no objects, and nothing on the minimap. This doesn't occur if I play the level immediately when I open the player, but occurs if I play levels before this one.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 03:42:05 AM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 07:59:57 AM »
Yes, the gimmick and frenzy music were stylistic choices.  Some music choices may need to be changed later since rearrangements have caused some identical tracks to be placed on adjacent levels (and at least one case of this happening between a secret level and the level needed to access it).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
Carnage 16: "Law of the Jungle" is impossible to complete.  The metal plate to the right of the exit is too high for Lemmings to walk over (this wasn't the case before), and you don't have a spare builder to make the step (all four have to be used to cross the writhing weeds)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 02:51:19 PM by Crane »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
Carnage 16: "Law of the Jungle" is impossible to complete.  The metal plate to the right of the exit is too high for Lemmings to walk over (this wasn't the case before), and you don't have a spare builder to make the step (all four have to be used to cross the writhing weeds)

I don't know how this happened, since I definitely play tested this and remember not having any problems; in any case; I fixed it.
I'm working on the other problems right now. So far, most of the errors have been resolved.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Ghia

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
Are there replays anywhere ? Hate skipping levels...when I get stuck, I see it as an opportunity to learn something.
I found replays for the old pack, sometimes they are of help. But not all leves are there, and some have changed too much.
When level packs are released, solutions should also be supplied, imho....

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »
I don't think there is, I'm afraid.  I'd make one myself, but I'm stuck on a number of levels myself... I still can't complete "Take it like a lemming"!

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
Are there replays anywhere ? Hate skipping levels...when I get stuck, I see it as an opportunity to learn something.
I found replays for the old pack, sometimes they are of help. But not all leves are there, and some have changed too much.

Well I completed the Lemmini version of the pack and uploaded my solutions on my YT channel, but quite a few levels have been changed or fixed so they will not help with all levels.
But maybe the videos can still help with some of them!

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Elfo3E1jTl-SHlOy97kwA

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 08:50:55 PM »

Though I might be wrong I believe namida has intentions to make a video of this pack.
[As soon as the update with fixes comes along, which should be any day now] Also I forgot to add Icho Tolot to the credits, which I fixed. :)

until replays/solutions are made available, let me know which level you are having trouble with and I'll give you hints or tell you a solution.

I don't think there is, I'm afraid.  I'd make one myself, but I'm stuck on a number of levels myself... I still can't complete "Take it like a lemming"!
I double-checked to make sure this level is solvable, it is. :) It may be out of place difficulty wise, I'll wait to see what more people think.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »
Though I might be wrong I believe namida has intentions to make a video of this pack.
[As soon as the update with fixes comes along, which should be any day now] Also I forgot to add Icho Tolot to the credits, which I fixed. :)

When I'm finished Lemmings Reunion. :)
My Lemmings projects