Author Topic: NeoLemmix Introduction Pack (Released)  (Read 32668 times)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
Re: NeoLemmix Introduction Pack (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 02:26:02 AM »
I'm getting the same error.

Also, there is a very simple backroute to the new disarmer level - make the first lemming the disarmer and wait.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 04:02:22 AM »
Oh crap. xD I noticed that one at one point, but later changed the release rate and forgot that it'd bring that back. xD

In regards to the Objects 8 error; that'd be me forgetting to include the Sega style. xD
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
Okay, I have played through the first 16 levels so far, and like it. I see you kept most of the levels from the old tutorial and altered them a bit to suit this set-up.
But this thing made me wonder: does such a tutorial exist for the standard Lemmings?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »
The first 7 levels of Fun? :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 01:41:30 AM »
I've been playing with Fixed Ascent some more.  What is the release rate supposed to be?  I can put it up to 85 and still solve the level without using the climbers or anything on the right side of the level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 06:20:38 AM »
It was originally 99, but was reduced due to that solution being somewhat fiddly. Some other layout changes have actually made RR99 not too bad, although there's still a backroute.

I've made some changes to this level that eliminate the backroute in question, and set the RR back to 99. There's still one solution to this version other than the intended one, but it's very tricky to pull off, and even if someone were to find it, I feel it still highlights the same aspects of the Disarmer skill that the intended solution does.

Updated the download in the first post to have the fixed version of this level, as well as to include the Sega style so that Objects 8 is playable.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:32:25 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 02:38:26 PM »
Hm...Fixed Ascent seems to be a hard level in contrast with the seven other new-with-old skill puzzles. You have to time everything correctly to get the disarmer to disable the other trap.

Here's how I did it.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
The first 7 levels of Fun? :P
Nope. The original levels let you learn everything yourselves. In fact, they don't even teach you everything, they leave many things to figure out for yourselves. However, in this tutorial, everything gets presented to you, and the skill gets fully explained before the level even starts. For me, that would be a bit too much, I preferred the way the original did it.
But I do support this pack, don't get me wrong, I think it's good for less experienced gamers. But if they'd need this, they'd probably need something like this for the original mechanics even more.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »
@DynaLem: You have the intended solution. Although the execution can't be *too* tardy, it doesn't have to be perfect. I might make it a bit more lenient though...

At this stage, I'd like any suggestions for what should be in the "Gameplay Mechanics" rank. Obvious things would include the instant bombers, pre-placed lemmings, pre-assigned permanent skills, and steel mechanics, but is there anything else that anyone feels should be in there?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
1. Directional select

2. Highlight lemming - this feature has a lot of potential and is very useful on talisman challenges where you can only use one lemming to complete the level.

3. Talismans - perhaps the second-to-last level of the Mechanics rank should be a normal level, but the following level can only be unlocked by unlocking a talisman in the second-to-last level.

4. Infinite skills and infinite time - perhaps in one level?

5. The change in how some terrain pieces can have one-way-wall objects while others cannot.

6. Adjustable level sizes including vertical scrolling.

7. The sides of the level are now seen as walls.

5-7, I think you've mentioned in a previous post.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
I don't think that a text screen introducing every new skill is necessary.  The eight levels focusing on each specific skill do a better job introducing the skills - showing as opposed to telling.

The only thing I would change about Fixed Ascent is to add some more space between the wall that the first basher needs to go through and the first up ramp, probably simpler to to move the up ramp to the left.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2015, 08:12:47 AM »
Uploaded a newer preview version. This has a few multi-new-object puzzles now, and the single-new-object (or in some cases, pairs of related new objects; eg. teleporter + receiver, locked exit + unlock button, splat pad + antisplat pad) levels are there for all objects except secret level trigger (which I haven't decided for sure how I'll handle yet).

This new version also has placeholder ranks for the Mechanics and Gimmicks rank, with just one blank level in each one.

I also put up a poll regarding how the introduction texts (or lack thereof) should be handled.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 08:37:56 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 09:02:58 AM »
Great job with the new puzzles!

However, two levels seemed hard: Objects 10 "Lemming Rush" and Objects 13 "Divide and Regroup". The former, for even a tutorial level, has a limited skillset with a high release rate, and may work as a Bumpy level. This one is an attempt replay. I solved the latter in a completely different way and saved a higher requirement, but that may be a backroute.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2015, 09:19:44 AM »
Objects 10, the solution is a bit simpler than what you're thinking. Though I agree it's probably a bit on the hard side. The main problem is that making a level focusing almost solely on splitters isn't an easy task in itself - I don't want to end up with something like the Lemmings 3D splitter tutorial (it was basically a normal (but very easy) level, with a splitter at the end, with both outcomes going directly to an exit). I wonder if simply reducing the release rate will help with this one...

I like the way you solved Objects 13 (which has been moved to 14 now, due to adding a secret level trigger tutorial level at Level 11). It's close to the intended solution, but much more optimum in terms of lemmings saved than my solution - I only saved about 85%. While I realise this level can be quite tricky, there's a reason I set it to 100 lemmings and only required 40%. :) Heck, this could've worked as a 1% required level, but I thought that might come across as weird in a tutorial pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
We had a similar debate over on the DROD forums about an introductory levelset we're making. In that case we decided to take a "show, don't tell" approach, and the result has generally met with approval. Even so, for this NeoLemmix pack I think you should keep the intro texts.

Why this difference? Because our DROD pack is aimed at completely new players who want to get into the game. We want to start off by showing them that it's fun and accessible. Your pack is aimed at players and level designers who already know the game but want to learn what all these new skills do. Such players are likely to be interested in knowing the fine details of mechanics, and won't be put off by a wall of text. Anyone new to NeoLemmix who wants to get straight in and discover for themselves how everything works won't play a pack calling itself "Tutorial" at all.