Author Topic: GigaLems - A project I plan on making  (Read 58948 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
GigaLems - A project I plan on making
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:17 PM »
This is something I want to go back to in fact I may even turn Lemmings platinum into this
I'll use the original 9 tilesets and the original 8 skills for this one (i'll be using neolemmix)
5 Ratings (before and after)
Cakewalk becomes Warm
Doosy becomes Hot
Careful becomes Boiling
Fragile becomes Scalding
Dangerous becomes Scorching
I'll begin development when i get the chance
Edit: The first five levels of Warm have been made (5 out 150 levels in total)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GigaLems - A project I plan on making
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:27 AM »
Chrome is known to have issues for it (and regular Lemmix).

Some possible workarounds:
- If the NeoLemmix website doesn't work, try the DropBox link, or vice versa.
- If you have DropBox, go to the DropBox link and use "Save to my dropbox" instead.
- Try a different browser; others don't seem to have any issues.

Good luck. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
The First Half of Warm is Done

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
Awesome to see more new NeoLemmix content! :) I'll be sure to check these out later on tonight.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 04:34:09 PM »
Okay, I had a go on these levels. They're very easy (as is to be expected for a first rank), but the designs are VERY nice! :)

Some comments:
- On the digger tutorial level, the time spent walking is quite excessive. It might pay to shorten this a bit.
- On the bomber tutorial level, I don't see why you included blockers? As I'm sure you've noticed, bombers explode instantly (without a countdown) on NeoLemmix (unless you manually choose otherwise in a Flexi-based player).
- Scarif-Slice is far harder than the other levels, and may be worth moving to another rank (or at least later in the rank).
- Saving 100% on "Building to Salvation" might be an interesting challenge for less-experienced players; or could be used (with a reduced skillset) for a repeat verison of the level.
- "Bashing to Safety" might also be a bit difficult for new players due to the need to judge where to bash to come out at the right point on a diagonal slope.
- On "Not Breaking But Entering", I think you might've overlooked something fairly obvious; not that it's a huge deal for an easier level.
- In general, it may be worth noting that you can change the width of a level in NeoLemmix (and thus get rid of the black space on the sides). NeoLemmix Editor even has a Shift Level option (under the "Edit" heading on the menu bar) which can help move the level for this purpose.
- Also in general, you've placed some steel areas which don't overlap the steel block exactly, thus causing terrain around them to be steel. Unlike in traditional Lemmix (or DOS), there is no need to do this. In fact, in NeoLemmix (and SuperLemmini, if you ever make levels for that) you don't need to place steel areas at all; you can just use the Autosteel option in the level stats config (which is enabled by default) and all the steel blocks will automatically become steel.

I'll send you a PM with my replays.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:56:10 PM »
I move Sacrif-Slice to level 20
Removed the bombers in Not Breaking but Entering
Made Just keep Digging Shorter

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
Another suggestion I'd make (and indeed this is how I make my packs): Don't nessecerially try to make the levels in order. By this I mean, using the Original game as an example, don't worry about making Fun 1 first, then Fun 2, and so on. Just make levels, then place them where they fit in based on how difficult they are - and don't be too shy about moving them around later, too. Case in point - in all my packs combined, none of the final levels were the last level of the pack to be made, and only one first level was the first level to be made (Breezy 1 of Lemmings Plus Omega). Quite often, in fact, I'd aim to make a level for a certain position, but it'd be way too easy (or hard) for that position, so I'd move it somewhere else.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 10:35:50 PM »
Here is the first special level

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 11:06:06 PM »
That's a pretty neat level, and making large "pixel" art in the Psychedelic set is always fun! :P Again, I'll PM you my replay.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:49:13 PM »
First of all i know how to use replays now and second of all
I've made this picture for what i would like to use it on the title screen sorry about the poor quality i took this picture with the 3DS camra
I wish to have it pixelised 

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:17:36 AM »
I'd suggest look into LemMain and the Lemmix Flexi Player (which is available in both traditional Lemmix and NeoLemmix flavors). They'll help a long way with actually getting your game into a standalone player EXE, instead of just lots of LVL files that people have to load manually.

I won't entirely make the player for you; but if you need some help working out how to use it, feel free to ask. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 11:00:06 PM »
BTW how do i know which track is which? because i want to know if there's any Genesis song in there

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 11:13:24 PM »
There aren't any Genesis musics. The order of the tracks depends on whether the person playing has also got the DOS Music pack; tracks 1 to 17 follow the DOS order if the music pack is present, or the Amiga order if it isn't. Tracks 18 to 23 are the OhNo musics, which are the same order in either case.

However, if you want specific tracks, you can include them with your pack - if you're using the Flexi player, you can build whichever tracks you want into the EXE; if you're using (Neo)CustLemmix, you'll have to include them as either IT or OGG files. Name them "track_##.it" (or "track_##.ogg", where ## is the number you want that track to be. If you have both an OGG and an IT file for the same number, the OGG file has priority; and looping OGGs are supported.

Note that single digit numbers should have a leading zero; eg track_01.it not track_1.it. Three-digit numbers are fine if you need that many (or just want to use high numbers); so track_150.it is fine. Note that the highest track number you can use is 252; the music number can't be set higher than 255, and numbers 253 to 255 have special effects (as does zero):

0 will just use the standard "rotate through the musics one by one", or in Cust, "choose a music at random"; in both cases special musics will be played if certain gimmicks are set
253 is the same as zero, but it won't play a special track on gimmick / frenzy levels
254 plays the Frenzy music
255 plays the Gimmick music

(If you want a custom Frenzy or Gimmick track, the filenames to use are "frenzy.it" and "gimmick.it" (or .ogg).)

For reference; the special music on gimmick levels is determined by:
- Does the level use the SuperLemming or Frenzy gimmick? If so, use the Frenzy music.
- Otherwise, does the level use any gimmick other than Bait-and-Switch or 80px Fall? If so, use the Gimmick music.
- If the level doesn't use any gimmicks (or only uses Bait-and-Switch and/or 80px Fall), just play regular music.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »
Where do i put the music Files?
Also Warm is Completed here it is

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 12:05:17 AM »
If you're building a Flexi player, see the Flexi documentation (or the tutorial on the NeoLemmix website) for info on that.

If you're just using NeoCustLemmix, put them in the same folder as NeoCustLemmix itself.

By the way - other formats might work, if you rename them to have an IT extension (if they're module type formats such as MOD, XM, etc), or OGG extension (for formats like WAV, etc). This isn't an officially supported feature, and won't work for all types (eg: it won't work for VGM files), but you can try - the former definitely does work, I'm not entirely sure about the latter as I haven't tried.
My Lemmings projects