Author Topic: What are these errors?  (Read 3390 times)

Exeggutor

What are these errors?
« on: November 15, 2014, 06:31:14 PM »
I tried making a level on Lemmix. It works fine, but when I check for errors it says this:

Errors found
Object 0: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 1: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 2: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 3: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 4: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 7: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 8: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
Object 9: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8

Here's a picture of the level:

What does that error mean?  ???

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: What are these errors?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 06:39:14 PM »
Hi, Exeggutor, and welcome to the forum!

These errors that you found are shown just in case if you are working a level for the DOS game. If you're doing it for Lemmix or Lemmini or any other modern program that's nothing to worry about.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Exeggutor

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »
Got it. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 07:29:26 PM »
Well, it's good style NOT to ignore those error messages, especially if you're making a level for Lemmix, as maybe some players are playing their levels in DosBox/CustLemm, e.g. if you don't have Lemmix because you're running on Linux. The errors are exactly what the error messages say: the x coordinates of those objects (traps, hatches, water, etc) are not divisible by 8, which would make the level not run in DOS lemmings.

Though to be honest, by now I think it's unlikely that anybody will play your levels in DOS Lemmings/CustLemm, so it's not a big issue to ignore them.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 08:05:59 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is one small issue with ignoring these errors, even when playing the levels in Lemmix:
The trigger areas (i.e. the rectangles of pixels where lemmings have to be in order to trigger traps or to enter the exit) always start with an x-coordinate divisible by 4, no matter where the object is placed precisely. In other words it does not make any difference to the trigger area if the x-coordinate of the object is 4n or 4n+3. Thus ignoring the error message may result e.g. in traps triggering slightly to the left of where you expect them to trigger. As an example just run the attached level in Lemmix.

Note however that this comment only applies to Lemmix, but not to newer lemmings clones like NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini or Lix. Im actually not sure how Lemmini handles this.

Nice looking level btw, Exeggutor. :thumbsup:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:22:23 PM »
Speaking of strange errors, I seem to be getting this list of strange errors on the NeoLemmix Level editor. On the NeoCustLemmix setting with just a blank level, pressing the Validate level says strange stuff such as:

Steel 0: SteelWidth too small
Steel 0: SteelHeight too small
Steel 1: SteelWidth too small
Steel 1: SteelHeight too small
Steel 2: SteelWidth too small
Steel 2: SteelHeight too small
Steel 3: SteelWidth too small
Steel 3: SteelHeight too small
Steel 4: SteelWidth too small
Steel 4: SteelHeight too small
Steel 5: SteelWidth too small
Steel 5: SteelHeight too small

even though I haven't put any steel pieces on the map. I wonder why I'm getting this. Maybe namida can fix this glitch or remove this button altogether.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is one small issue with ignoring these errors, even when playing the levels in Lemmix:
The trigger areas (i.e. the rectangles of pixels where lemmings have to be in order to trigger traps or to enter the exit) always start with an x-coordinate divisible by 4, no matter where the object is placed precisely. In other words it does not make any difference to the trigger area if the x-coordinate of the object is 4n or 4n+3. Thus ignoring the error message may result e.g. in traps triggering slightly to the left of where you expect them to trigger. As an example just run the attached level in Lemmix.

Note however that this comment only applies to Lemmix, but not to newer lemmings clones like NeoLemmix, SuperLemmini or Lix. Im actually not sure how Lemmini handles this.

Nice looking level btw, Exeggutor. :thumbsup:

Also if you save the level in that state, close it and come back later, all objects and steel that are not in the grid will be moved into the grid (depending on it's location sometimes significantly (always up and to the left IIRC)). Sometimes the object will disappear entirely. If you put on object overlapping the top edge of the screen it will be gone the next time you open the level, but this doesn't happen if it's overlapping the bottom. Idk about the edges.

Also steel must be a SIZE multiple of (whatever) if not it will be resized on the next time you open the level.

Lemmini doesn't care about the grid or steel sizes at all. And objects or steel will not be moved. Note that: in Lemmix/super Lemmini the trigger area for Lemmings is their feet. In Lemmini it's the middle of their body or something like that.

also; what Nepster said: that looks like a decent level  :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »

Pretty sure Lemmini has no problem with it either.

Also if you save the level in that state, close it and come back later, all objects and steel that are not in the grid will be moved into the grid (depending on it's location sometimes significantly (always up and to the left IIRC)). Sometimes the object will disappear entirely. If you put on object overlapping the top edge of the screen it will be gone the next time you open the level, but this doesn't happen if it's overlapping the bottom. Idk about the edges.

EricLang's version of both the Lemmix player and the Lemmix editor do not correctly handle objects with Y positions less than 0 (ie: their behaviour is inconsistent with how DOS Lemmings behaves) - the Lemmix editor will *save* them fine, but neither one can *load* them correctly. My updates to traditional Lemmix fix this issue, and the NeoLemmix Editor can also handle them no problem.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)