Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171506 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: SuperLemmini 0.104
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2020, 06:41:00 PM »
In DOS Lemmings (not sure about Amiga, which is what SuperLemmini tries most closely to imitate), the level format has 32 object slots, but only the first 16 work - the last 16 will be visible in-game, but won't actually function (exception: entrances will function even when they're in the last 16, just as long as there's no more than four entrances on a level - the 5th and onwards won't function, even if they're not in these last 16 slots). SuperLemmini may be reproducing this.

To be clear - I don't know for sure that's what's going on here, it's just a plausible explanation, as SuperLemmini does retain support for fake objects so could reproduce this effect.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:00 PM »
Thank you for your response. Yes, I did the unpacking of WINLEMM. And I didn't copy my custom styles since I used the original tilesets for my levels.

Might be one for Tsyu to enlighten us on. Have you managed to get it working yet?

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
No. But since the custom levels made by others work, the problem might come from me.

EDIT : Nevermind, I finally got them working by resaving them with an old version of Neolemmix.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:28:28 PM by LanaAndCo »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2020, 02:19:16 AM »
No. But since the custom levels made by others work, the problem might come from me.

EDIT : Nevermind, I finally got them working by resaving them with an old version of Neolemmix.

:thumbsup:

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2020, 01:38:10 AM »
Hi and thanks for the detailed documentation about level format. Do you consider creating in the future an updated level editor just for Lemmini/Superlemmini? :excited:
I will look into making a level editor (which, I admit, is desperately needed now). No guarantees, though.

Noticed something weird in level COVOX Lemmings - Taxing - IceTown: lemmings do fall into the frozen water instead of being drown!
As Namida pointed out, in the original games, objects (other than entrances) placed in the upper 16 slots are fake. In this level, the water objects near the start happen to be in those upper slots, so they do nothing, even in the DOS version. Most of the other water objects in the level do work, though. This is almost certainly an oversight from the level's author. (And to be clear, SuperLemmini does in fact support far more than 16 working objects; these objects were deliberately marked as fake to imitate the original game.)

EDIT: that piece of water is rendered upside down in Lemmini!
It turns out Lemmini considers an object to be upside-down if its flags field is anything other than 0 instead of just checking the 1 bit like SuperLemmini. Since SuperLemmini uses the 2 bit of this same field to mark an object as fake, Lemmini thinks such objects are upside-down. (If you load the original, unconverted, LVL version of this level in Lemmini, the water objects won't be upside-down.)

Another one, in level Lemmings Companion - Fun - For Every Lemming, Turn, Turn... the trap on the left does not trigger. Is this due to different game mechanics or wrong positioning?
In this case, the trap actually does work, but it's placed a little too high. If you build where the trigger area is (on the left), the trap should start killing lemmings.

Hello!

I'm sorry to disturb you but since I updated SuperLemmini, I've got an error message each time I load my custom levels which says "The resource styles/0/0.ini is missing". This only happened with the 0.104 version. What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

Could you attach the problematic level file so that I can maybe determine what went wrong?

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2020, 06:39:38 PM »
Noticed something weird in level COVOX Lemmings - Taxing - IceTown: lemmings do fall into the frozen water instead of being drown!
...these objects were deliberately marked as fake to imitate the original game.)
Is there a way to implement a switch to become fully compatible with Lemmini? I like its engine, but I prefer SuperLemmini due to its GUI improvements.

Another one, in level Lemmings Companion - Fun - For Every Lemming, Turn, Turn... the trap on the left does not trigger. Is this due to different game mechanics or wrong positioning?
In this case, the trap actually does work, but it's placed a little too high. If you build where the trigger area is (on the left), the trap should start killing lemmings.
So, this is another difference compared to Lemmini. There it works just fine. 8-)

Offline LanaAndCo

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 26, 2020, 07:15:46 PM »
Could you attach the problematic level file so that I can maybe determine what went wrong?
You're lucky I still have some of the old levels I did for testing SuperLemmini 0.103b. Here's one of them, it should have the same problem.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2020, 07:40:23 AM »
...these objects were deliberately marked as fake to imitate the original game.)
Is there a way to implement a switch to become fully compatible with Lemmini? I like its engine, but I prefer SuperLemmini due to its GUI improvements.
Technically, yes, it's possible, but it would be more trouble than I think it's worth. There are just so many little differences between Lemmini and SuperLemmini that implementing such a feature would mean that pretty much every part of the lemming logic code would require two paths (one for Lemmini and another for SuperLemmini), making the code considerably more complex and harder to maintain. On top of that, almost every lemming and object mask would need two versions, since those are different as well.

Despite being based on Lemmini and being able to load Lemmini levels, SuperLemmini is meant to be more like "original Lemmings with improvements" rather than "Lemmini with improvements". With that said, I do try to be somewhat compatible with Lemmini as a secondary objective, but there are practical limits to how far I can go with that.

So, this is another difference compared to Lemmini. There it works just fine. 8-)
I had forgotten to say that the trap doesn't work right in the original DOS version either for the same reason. So this is another case of an oversight on the part of the level author.

You're lucky I still have some of the old levels I did for testing SuperLemmini 0.103b. Here's one of them, it should have the same problem.
Whatever version of NeoLemmix you used was writing terrain entries incorrectly. Here is an example of such an entry from your level:
terrain_0 = 25, 1521, -114, 0, 0, 1
The first four values there (the ones in bold) are the only ones that should have been written; the other two never had any meaning until SuperLemmini 0.104, which uses the fifth value (if it exists) to indicate which style the terrain piece should come from. The value there is "0", so SuperLemmini tries to load that terrain piece from a style called "0" (which, of course, doesn't exist). (And if you're wondering, if you load the level in Lemmini, the terrain doesn't show up at all, because Lemmini expects terrain entries to have exactly four values, whereas SuperLemmini expects at least four values.)

Offline LanaAndCo

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:55 AM »
Oh, that explains a lot. Thank you very much for your help! :cute:

Also, I have another question : where do you put custom packs for SuperLemmini?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:29:38 AM by LanaAndCo »

Offline uci

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
Despite being based on Lemmini and being able to load Lemmini levels, SuperLemmini is meant to be more like "original Lemmings with improvements" rather than "Lemmini with improvements". With that said, I do try to be somewhat compatible with Lemmini as a secondary objective, but there are practical limits to how far I can go with that.

Oh, sorry. I thought its a Lemmini improvement after all. You know... the same logo.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2020, 01:19:35 AM »

Oh, sorry. I thought its a Lemmini improvement after all. You know... the same logo.

That's a point - Tsyu, if you want to use the logo I designed for SL to distinguish it from Lemmini you're more than welcome. See attached.

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2020, 09:16:23 PM »
That's a point - Tsyu, if you want to use the logo I designed for SL to distinguish it from Lemmini you're more than welcome. See attached.

Wow, has it really taken me nearly two months to reply? I really need to be more active here (and in SuperLemmini development, for that matter)...

Anyway, I will be sure to use your logo in the next version of SuperLemmini.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2020, 11:36:24 PM »

Wow, has it really taken me nearly two months to reply? I really need to be more active here (and in SuperLemmini development, for that matter)...

Anyway, I will be sure to use your logo in the next version of SuperLemmini.

Haha no worries, I'm sure you've got other stuff going on.

And brilliant, great to know the logo will be of use! :thumbsup:

Offline LanaAndCo

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering, is there a way to enable the timer for Bombers? I know that a lot of Lemmings players dislike it but I really want my levels to feel like the Amiga version...

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2020, 12:50:40 AM »
I was disappointed also with no timer bomber since the original games had one. I like all my games to be like the originals. But I also understand other player don't like it. I hope you can put it as an option not get rid of.