Author Topic: Lemmings Plus II  (Read 30577 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus II - Release Topic (LPII Bonus Pack RELEASED!!!)
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2014, 03:27:58 AM »
The best hint for that level might be...
take "just keep trying" as literally as you can.

Once you realise the trick, it becomes easily one of the easiest levels.

Sneaky 2 is indeed a metal level, "Ascenario". It somewhat resembles Medi 4 of LPDOS, though it's a fair bit harder - Medi 4 isn't as steep, isn't as tight on time, doesn't have as many steps and doesn't require 100%.

As for skipping levels, you can activate the cheat mode by entering:
LPDOS: NIGERFAGOT
LPII: NGGYUNGLYD
LPIIBonus: BARRELROLL
(The links are so you can see exactly what they're references to, although the LPII and LPIIBonus ones should be fairly well-known.)

Once this is active, you can press 5 to instantly win a level (note the difference between Lemmix-based packs and DOS Lemmings here: in DOS you press 5 on the numpad, whereas in Lemmix you press the normal number 5). You can also skip instantly to any level (except the secret ones) by entering the rank and number on the level code screen, eg: MEDI15.

Also: For people providing replays, since Rush 1-3 and 5-6 are purely matters of execution, I have no real need to see a replay (though feel free to include them if you like). I would like to see Rush 4 replays if you have any, though, as that one's a matter of both strategy and execution, and the one solution I've seen so far, while I may accept it (still somewhat undecided, but it'll be quite hard to fix without also breaking the intended solution), is very different to mine.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2014, 06:00:50 AM »
Some comments on your replays, Nepster:

Trial 1: It can be done a bit simpler than you did. That being said, your hard work has still paid off - you now have the record for most lemmings saved on this level! (Me and Akseli both got 47%, while DynaLem got bang on the 45% requirement.) For anyone who hasn't watched Nepster's replays, he got 49%.
Trial 2: Pretty standard solution here.
Trial 3: Rather than thinking about "how do I get up a 7-pixel wall", think "how can I avoid making a 7-pixel wall". ;)

Challenge 1: I wouldn't call your solution glitchy, but the tricks you've described as feeling are borderline, the level can be beaten without them. One of the solutions (I'm pretty sure it was Akseli's) that I've seen demonstrates an undeniably non-glitch solution. I think you've set another record for most lemmings saved here, though I'll have to double-check what the other people have gotten.
Challenge 2: You've solved this the same way as Akseli and DynaLem, which is the same basic idea but a slightly different execution than mine. Still, it's definitely an acceptable solution and not a backroute.
Challenge 3: Pretty standard solution here.
Challenge 4: And again. I myself used direct-drop, but that's just me opting for the quicker route - your solution is equally valid.
Challenge 5: The time is quite tight as you've said (in general, that's true for most (but not all) of the Trial/Challenge levels), but it's possible to complete with a few seconds to spare.
Challenge 6: Your first solution is pretty similar to mine, though you saved FAR more lemmings - you're the record holder so far, in fact (Akseli used a completely different, and very glitchy, solution, that saved 77%. My solution saved bang on 55%). Your second solution, I think that level has a bit of terrain behind of the exit to align the trigger area better, this is what's causing the builder to stop. (In general, most LPII levels are specifically constructed to avoid the need for this, but that was one of the earlier-made ones.)

Reverse 2: Your solution is different to any I've seen so far, including my own. I don't think I'm going to bother doing much with this one - there's so many different solutions coming up for it, and it's very early in the rank, and it's still well harder than Reverse 1.
Reverse 3: Your solution here is the intended one.
Reverse 4: While the intended solution isn't *much* more complicated than this, this is definitely a backroute.
Reverse 5: Also a backroute. The intended solution to this level does not involve a fatal fall, if that helps you to try and work out what's the intended one.
Reverse 6: One of your solutions is pretty close to the correct one. I won't say which, though.

Flight 2: Your solution here is fine.
Flight 3: You solved this one virtually exactly the same way I did. It isn't the only way, though.
Flight 4: You've executed this a bit differently than I did, but the core idea is the same. The way I did it makes it a lot easier to position the bridge accurately, because it more or less falls into place automatically.
Flight 5: Nicely done. =)
Flight 6: Backroute. =(

Based on my solutions and the replays so far, I'm going to compile a list of the maximum %s. As with LPII, I'll put the names of whoever holds the record if it isn't myself. If multiple others have acheived the same result, whoever posted/sent their replay first gets their name on the list.

By the way - if you've found secret levels, feel free to also post the solutions to the secret levels themself. But, I'd appreciate if, for now at least, you kept it secret how to actually *access* them.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2014, 04:12:08 AM »
I won't say how to access them or which level they're in, but I'll reveal which ranks to look in for the secret levels.

Challenge and Flight.

I'm going to start working on backroute fixes, though I'll wait a bit longer before releasing the update. I've already fixed the bug with the second secret level, after completion, sending you back to Level 1 of the rank instead of the correct level, though as this is a very minor issue I'm not going to release a special update for it. It'll be included in the backroute-fix update when that comes.

LEVELS TO FIX:
- Reverse 4 - Two known backroutes, though one modification should fix both of them (originally discovered by Akseli and DynaLem respectively)
- Reverse 5 - One known backroute (originally discovered by Akseli)
- Flight 6 - One known backroute (originally discovered by Nepster)
- Rush 4 - One known backroute (originally discovered by ???? - I thought it was Akseli but he says he hadn't solved this level yet, so I must be confusing people)

BUGS TO FIX:
- Second secret level - Redirects you to the wrong level after completion. (FIXED)
- Hardworkers + No Gravity combo - Diggers do not destroy terrain (bashers and miners work fine). (FIXED)

This is just off the top of my head; if I've missed any I pointed out before, please let me know. However - I haven't forgotten Reverse 2. I've decided to leave that level as it is.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »
Got 100% on Trial 6!

Edit: Just finished Challenge 3. An excellent level! I never expected you to do a repeat of a Floater Frenzy and give it an entirely new solution! Danger 16 of LPDOS (one of my favorite levels) comes to mind when solving this level. My solution would probably be similar to the others, though...
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:32 AM »
Ill watch when I get home, but, congrats!

EDIT: Nicely done on Trial 6. Now I'm wondering if it's possible via a right-side solution. I'm going to upload my solutions to Nice pretty soon, so you can see if my solution gives you any ideas.

And indeed, your Challenge 3 solution is the same way everyone else (including me) solved it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2014, 04:48:05 AM »
Here's my solutions for Trial.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus II - Release Topic (Trial replays released!)
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »
I had another go at the levels I previously failed to solve. Some of the more interesting replays are attached.

Trial 3: Looking back at the solution, I wonder what made the level THAT hard.
Trial 4: Got the intended solution.
Trial 5: Found some alternative way...
Trial 6: Sure, 100% is possible for the right-hand side as well. I found it even easier than going left, which I solved similarly to DynaLem. Together with Challenge 2 this is my favourite level.
Reverse 6: I actually got both of my approaches working, though one may easily guess what the intended solution is.
Rush 4: Probably the same backroute as Akseli.
Trial/Challenge Secret Level: Pretty straight-forward solution using only one type of skills while even saving one more lemming than needed. The trigger area for this secret level is surprisingly easy to reach. I checked some far more inaccessible places first.

Haven't found the trigger in the gimmick levels yet.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2014, 02:29:54 AM »
Your Rush 4 solution is a definite backroute. Reverse 6, on the other hand, that requires a similar level of clever thinking as the intended solution, so I'm quite happy to leave that one.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
Akseli uncovered another bug, namely, that in levels with the No Gravity + Hardworkers gimmick combo, diggers do not destroy most of the terrain they should (specifically, the two rows that are cleared when assigning the digger work fine, but it doesn't destroy any further terrain after this - it acts as if the Unalterable Terrain gimmick is also in effect).

This bug appears on (but does not affect the intended solution to) Flight 5, as well as any custom levels that may be made using this gimmick.

As this is a tad more major, I've uploaded a player update with the bug fixed. The update also fixes the bug with the second secret level. There are no updates to the levels yet. So the current upload is V1/1/2. It isn't really a critical update, though if you're making custom levels with that gimmick it might be worth updating. Otherwise, you may prefer to just wait until the levels update is released. The link is the same as before:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2rlhe3d9oco099i/LemmingsPlusIIBonus.zip
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Just beat Challenge 4 and Flight 3!

For Challenge 4, I employed a trick that I used before in Danger 19 "Antigravity" of LPDOS.

Flight 3, I'm not sure if that's the intended solution or one of many.
EDIT: Have another solution for Flight 3. It's a somewhat weird solution because of a certain steel glitch.

Trial 3 I'm still struggling on like Nepster did. I'm trying to figure it out based on the hint that you provided, and I don't want to see the replays yet.

Slightly off-topic, but how did you come up with the design for "Challenge" (the black letters and white dots in the main menu)?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
None of those designs were planned. I pretty much thought "okay, time to make rank graphics" and opened up paint and made them one by one. Due to the non-progressive rank ordering in the bonus pack, I decided to make them all in a different style from each other. The ideas - even having "Reverse", well, reversed - came to me while I was doing them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Okay, well I'd say it's safe to say there's no more replays coming? I'll start working on fixes sometime this week... (though I'm quite busy at the moment playing FFX:HD, to be honest... xD)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Geez, speaking of replays, just realised I've been pretty slack at getting the rest of these up. Here's Challenge replays, including the access (and solution) for the secret level. I'll leave the rest until after releasing the update, which I'm *finally* actually doing... xD Reverse replays, I'll put out as soon as the new version is out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1ddu6dww0bmwn7/LPIIB-Challenge.zip

Started working on fixes too; so far fixed Reverse 4 (edit: and Reverse 5). Also reducing the release rate slightly on Rush 5, as that level's a bit over-the-top as it currently is.

EDIT: And Flight 6. This one, the fix blocked both the backroute solutions I've received, while still leaving my replay fully working. =D

Working on Rush 4 now. Aside from fixing backroutes, I've increased the time limit by a minute, because my solution is actually VERY tight on time...

EDIT: Rush 4 done too. I had to redo the last three actions of my replay (even though they're in exactly the same place; just slight differences in the timing of the lemming getting there thus needing to be redone), but the majority of it still worked.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Here is the update! The modified levels are the four I mentioned as having significant backroutes (Reverse 4, Reverse 5, Flight 6 and Rush 4), as well as Rush 5 which has had the difficulty very slightly reduced.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2rlhe3d9oco099i/LemmingsPlusIIBonus.zip

This will be the final update for the bonus pack.

And as promised, here's the replays for Reverse:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/deqgaaicfcxuzc7/LPIIB-Reverse.zip

And (I updated the first post with these too), for those who don't want to see it in replays, but what to know which level to look in, here's the levels that contain secret levels in the bonus pack:
Challenge 1 "The Gulag" and Flight 6 "Symphony In G Miner"
Accessing the secret level in the latter has NOT been impacted in any way by the backroute fixes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
On second thought, it's been long enough. Screw rank-by-rank releases, here's the whole replay set:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ev8d905yd3alare/LPIIBonusReplays.zip

Also, I added the bonus pack into the Twinpack download.
My Lemmings projects