Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project  (Read 39178 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (NeoLemmix Beta released!)
« Reply #105 on: May 20, 2014, 05:02:54 AM »
Well, here it is! =D This is a beta version at the moment, since I'm not 100% confident that everything that needs to be has been ironed out in the NeoLemmix player, nor am I 100% sure that I caught everything while fixing up the levels. However, it HAS been tested to ensure that every level is possible, and some levels modified to ensure this.

As mentioned, it also has some minor difficulty tweaks. The only level with major changes is PSYCHO 23... I couldn't resist taking one last shot at making that a decent level deserving of its position. I had to deviate it from the original design again, it seems my original plan simply doesn't work outside of Cheapo, but I quite like the result anyway.

Since these are 5-years-old levels we're all well and truly familiar with (new members aside xD), I'm including the replays from Day 1 here.

Just for reference; the player supports gimmicks just like any version of NeoLemmix, even though no LPDOS level actually uses them. Therefore, once I release the lvl files (I'll do that once it seems there's no major issues - partly because I'd have to regenerate them from the level order table and ODDTABLE.DAT, unlike with LPII where they're all neatly arranged by positions), you can also try playing them with gimmicks in effect. And the cheat code (if anyone uses that, I know most people just edit the INI) is the same as it was in V7.

Click here to begin your journey in the new age of Lemmings Plus.

Medi 21, Danger 11, and PSYCHO 4, 15, 16, 21 and 24 have become a bit more interesting, and PSYCHO 23 and 29 (although the former is due to it being the one level I actually *did* make heavy modifications to; but the latter is unmodified apart from improving steel alignment) a lot more. =) Also, while the old solution still works just fine, the included replay for Danger 13 shows off a more obscure solution.

Issues I'm aware of:
  • Mild 21 / Danger 22, one flamethrower has been moved a bit TOO far, while the other one was missed altogether.
  • Medi 15 was modified, but DynaLem has discovered a solution that would work even on the unmodified version and is still simple enough for its position, so the changes will most likely be reverted.
  • Medi 19 / Danger 11, I missed the steel pieces near the exit when doing the alignments. It does not affect the solution at all.
  • Medi 21, the animated part of the exit is not lined up correctly with the static part.
  • Medi 26, I missed the flamethrowers when doing alignments.
  • Engine glitch - It is possible to, by precise positioning and timing, use a builder to stop a miner and turn him around... which may sound normal, except it's possible to do this with the builder being a different lemming than the miner. This is due to a terrain check that normally would only be triggered in the case of steel/oneways not being removed, but instead is triggered by the builder filling in that pixel inbetween the miner removing it and the terrain check (which is only a one frame space, so it needs to be VERY precisely done). I have already fixed this, haven't uploaded a fixed version though. (I'll at least fix the above level problems first too.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (NeoLemmix Beta released!)
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »
Okay, here's an update. Fixes the above level problems, and now runs on NeoLemmix v1.01n (the N is at the end of all version numbers, just to differentiate it from the non-NeoLemmix ones; I'm kinda weird like that).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vj1lxqm1debgd00/LemmingsPlusDOSNeo.zip

Has anyone had a go at PSYCHO 23 in the NeoLemmix versions yet?

My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Project
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »
So, for ages, the level files for this were only available as slightly-unordered DATs combined iwth an Oddtable file to handle the repeats (or, out-of-date versions on the Level Database).

I finally fixed this. Here's proper copies of all the level files - no oddtable nessecary, every level is included, in order. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrfa50w1umxpmok/LPDOS_LevelFiles.zip?dl=0

As you probably know, these levels are old as hell by now, so you can pretty much do whatever you like with them. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2014, 05:23:27 AM »
So, many years after V7's release, there's another update for LPDOS that can be considered official. To be honest, it really doesn't matter whether you use V7 or V8 as gameplay mechanics are the same (except for how the pause-for-time glitch is handled); the differences are all cosmetic or relating to fine control.

Basically, the difference is that V8 uses V23 of Lemmix, not 0.8.0.1. The actual content is the same.

You can get it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lfl0sdnml0r83e/LPDOS.zip

Either V7 or V8 may be used for challenges, etc.

It also supports music packs. You can use the one from Orig, or wait until I get around to making a proper LPDOS one.

One major advantage over V7 is that the external BMP files are no longer needed; like later LP entries, this has the custom images built directly into its MAIN.DAT file. (The reason V7 and earlier didn't is because at the time, I had no idea how to even do that - I first started experimenting with MAIN.DAT while creating LPII)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
Alright, I put together a music pack for LPDOS based on the Master System musics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/74dk28dbu6aaa6v/LemmingsPlusDOSProject_Music.dat

(For reference, you can use this with Orig too.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2014, 05:03:36 AM »
It's quite different playing this game with the DOS sounds, but it does go very much in line with the "DOS" part of LPDOS. Also, love all the improved features you've added in the traditional player (password on fail screen, being able to click on the skills when pausing, etc.). Though it does look kind of weird that the joystick/keyboard/mouse picture on the main menu is still there, despite F4 mainly being for dumping levels.

The player has a major issue, however. I am using the regular LPDOS musics for this one, but the player refuses to load some levels; specifically, Mild 22 and Danger 22, as far as I know. I get these errors before the player closes:

Mild 22: Bestand "track_18.it" staat niet in archief.
Danger 22: Bestand "track_21.it" staat niet in archief.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Ah, I know what'll be happening there. Most likely will happen on Wimoy 14 and Medi 15 too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Yep, those too.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2014, 05:16:32 AM »
Fix uploaded. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2014, 05:37:59 AM »
Thanks!

I'm also using the LPDOS Master System music pack - they sound great with the levels and DOS sounds!  :thumbsup: